fanhood

Bars in Boise

42 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Weren’t both (Boise all-MW DT) David Moa and potential starting PG Pat Dembley both arrested outside there though?

To be fair "outside of China Blue" also means you're "outside" of 11 other bars.... that just happens to be the one on the corner.

16 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I was just ribbing.  Thanks for the extra spots.  You and TP are dropping knowledge.  

Aztecs, I will vouch on Taphouse.  Right on the main bar scene, a lot of TV's for its medium size, and the best beer selection in that area.  They carry at least two double IPA's pretty much every time I have been there.

I may look into Hyde Park on Thursday night for some Aztec reconnaissance.

This whole town is double IPA everywhere. It's so IPA-centric, it drives me crazy. It's nice going to Fort Collins (for beer) where half of the taps aren't IPA's. Parilla, for example, has a separate IPA menu on the wall next to the taps so they don't have to answer the "what IPA's do you have?" question while also not waiting for them to scroll through the taps to figure out the same question. 

By the way, the DA Show will be doing their broadcast from the Stadium for the SDSU game and will have some events around the city as he's supposed to be here for 5 days. I don't know much about the show, but the local radio thinks it's a cool thing. He's also doing his NFL show the next morning at Dave and Busters.

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I was just ribbing.  Thanks for the extra spots.  You and TP are dropping knowledge.  

Aztecs, I will vouch on Taphouse.  Right on the main bar scene, a lot of TV's for its medium size, and the best beer selection in that area.  They carry at least two double IPA's pretty much every time I have been there.

I may look into Hyde Park on Thursday night for some Aztec reconnaissance.

I remember your love of TapHouse because you were drinking $3 Sculpins there all day 🤣. It is by far my favorite sports bar in town, one of my favorite restaurants in town. GREAT food and underrated brunch too. And they will have ANY sporting event you want except for Sunday's when TVs are designated.

@fanhood, I would second many of the things @KingBronco (WHOOPS, I meant to tag @kingpotato and I can't untag KB on mobile) said as well as @East Coast Aztec and @tailingpermit, @RogueStout and the like. 

I've got a bit to add, having been a bartender in DT Boise for over 7 years, avid bar scenster, and lifelong Bronco...

First piece of advice: eat early. This is an unexpected early afternoon game, so the dynamics are different. Basically every breakfast/brunch spot will be slammed. I would HIGHLY recommend going to Bacon, and going early. They are a counter service establishment, not full service, so the wait for food will be shorter, but it is a bit pricey for Boise standards. Still, the "Berryhill Bacon" is +++++ing delicious. From there, you can compfortably prefunk in DT as bars start opening and slinging booze at 10am. Go see my friend Maximus at Bardenay. If you're cool, he may make you one of his signature "Bloody Maxi's". You definitely want to go check out the 'Tus, aka the Cactus. Cheap and stiff, and one of the most underrated Bloodys in town. 

Someone mentioned Hyde Park. I wouldn't waste your time unless you were staying more than a few days.  It's my neighborhood and to be honest not the best place to watch unless you were a local.

After the game...

Definitely check out End Zone/Suds/R Bar (the barmuda triangle, as it's known) if you want the college crowd experience. If you want the same younger crowd downtown, go to Graineys, Amsterdam, Hannah's, China Blue, Roddy's...

If you want a little more upscale/casual, try Bardenay, Bittercreek, 10 Barrel.

If you want rustic and cheap - Pengillys, Cactus, or 10th St Station

If you want hip, go to Neurolux, Atlas Bar, Barbarian Brewing, The Modern Hotel, The Mode

• Like 1

I think, therefore I'm.

4 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I remember your love of TapHouse because you were drinking $3 Sculpins there all day 🤣. It is by far my favorite sports bar in town, one of my favorite restaurants in town. GREAT food and underrated brunch too. And they will have ANY sporting event you want except for Sunday's when TVs are designated.

@fanhood, I would second many of the things @KingBronco (WHOOPS, I meant to tag @kingpotato and I can't untag KB on mobile) said as well as @East Coast Aztec and @tailingpermit, @RogueStout and the like. 

I've got a bit to add, having been a bartender in DT Boise for over 7 years, avid bar scenster, and lifelong Bronco...

First piece of advice: eat early. This is an unexpected early afternoon game, so the dynamics are different. Basically every breakfast/brunch spot will be slammed. I would HIGHLY recommend going to Bacon, and going early. They are a counter service establishment, not full service, so the wait for food will be shorter, but it is a bit pricey for Boise standards. Still, the "Berryhill Bacon" is +++++ing delicious. From there, you can compfortably prefunk in DT as bars start opening and slinging booze at 10am. Go see my friend Maximus at Bardenay. If you're cool, he may make you one of his signature "Bloody Maxi's". You definitely want to go check out the 'Tus, aka the Cactus. Cheap and stiff, and one of the most underrated Bloodys in town. 

Someone mentioned Hyde Park. I wouldn't waste your time unless you were staying more than a few days.  It's my neighborhood and to be honest not the best place to watch unless you were a local.

After the game...

Definitely check out End Zone/Suds/R Bar (the barmuda triangle, as it's known) if you want the college crowd experience. If you want the same younger crowd downtown, go to Graineys, Amsterdam, Hannah's, China Blue, Roddy's...

If you want hip, go to Neurolux, Atlas Bar, Barbarian Brewing, The Modern Hotel, The Mode

Thanks. Does "Bacon" have TVs? Can we get Bloody Mary's?

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

You're in Meridian, right? You been to Grant's? That's the best brunch in Meridian. Also just won Best Fine Dining in Meridian.

Grants is really good! Stop acting like Meridian and Boise are 500 miles apart...  

• Like 1

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! No, seriously HA! HA!

9 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Weren’t both (Boise all-MW DT) David Moa and potential starting PG Pat Dembley both arrested outside there though?

I believe that was between China Blue and Roddy's.

I do remember a Utah State player getting arrested at China Blue after the Potato Bowl.

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I'm not sure I'd consider The Whiskey a hipster bar. I'd say that 11th and Main is more of that. Neurolux, the Atlas, Mulligans, The Modern, The Olympic, and 10th St is way more hipster like. Most wouldn't go to 6th and Main.

I'd lean towards hipster bar, but not even close to as much as the Neurolux - really thought I was going to have to show off a tribal tattoo to gain entry.

I laughed my ass off at the Whiskey bar, most of the college guys are drinking Tecate from a can than Whiskey.

9 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

How about a decent parking lot spot? All I am seeing is Lincoln garage.

ETA:  For tailgating (no fire)

Julia Davis Park, but you'll have to get there early.

Or, if you have a member of your tailgate that has trouble walking far distances you can arrive at the East Stadium lot as soon as it opens and ask for an accessible spot.  You will have to pull in and leave your car there, but it's right up against the stadium.  

2 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I'd lean towards hipster bar, but not even close to as much as the Neurolux - really thought I was going to have to show off a tribal tattoo to gain entry.

I laughed my ass off at the Whiskey bar, most of the college guys are drinking Tecate from a can than Whiskey.

I'm not the youngest guy here (40s), but that's where my buddies that are older than me generally want to go when I'm meeting them. I've also been to several work related happy hours there. I guess my definition is different. 

9 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

After the game...

Good stuff.

I was the one who mentioned Hyde Park. We'll disagree on that one. Parilla is a great place to watch football. Tons of TVs, intimate, social, tacos, tons of beers on tap. I always take people from out if town there and everyone loves it. I run into coaches tripping recruits and their families all the time. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I'm not the youngest guy here (40s), but that's where my buddies that are older than me generally want to go when I'm meeting them. I've also been to several work related happy hours there. I guess my definition is different. 

I think it's a great bar, I wish they had a higher end selection of Bourbon.

Just have a good number of hipsters drinking Tecate there, next time you're there look at the ground coolers - at least two will be filled with that type of canned beer.

53 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Good stuff.

I was the one who mentioned Hyde Park. We'll disagree on that one. Parilla is a great place to watch football. Tons of TVs, intimate, social, tacos, tons of beers on tap. I always take people from out if town there and everyone loves it. I run into coaches tripping recruits and their families all the time. 

Lol. Parilla is my go to. I'm sure we would recognize each other if we met. I would just rather the tourists stay DT and keep the North End for ourselves :)

I think, therefore I'm.