fanhood

Bars in Boise

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

You say pass on Goldy's, but suggest Bardenay for breakfast, which doesnt open until 11?

Aztecs, do Goldy's. Just go early.  I would check out Bardenay in the evening though.

2959C357F47613E63985A975694B9193AFBE3E69

Although PieHole's patio is better for a day game, imo. 

Yes, just get to Goldies early - they open at 7:30.  Otherwise there's always open spots at the bar.

You're thinking of the End Zone, Pie Hole is the pizza joint - and yes the patio is great.

7 hours ago, edluvar said:

What are you looking for?  You staying in the downtown area?

Yes, we are staying at a house about 1 mile from Downtown. Looking for a good sports bar to watch Utah State boat race BYU on Friday night. A good place for breakfast and bloody mary's on Saturday morning to pre-game, then a place to watch the fights on Saturday night.

12 hours ago, fanhood said:

Ha. Spearment Rhino huh? I have been to the one in Vegas. No thanks.

Watching a fight at the Spearmint Rhino is not what you are thinking.  First...  nobody is taking clothes off in Boise...  second - for mma fights...  this establishment turns into a bar... so this may sound like a trap - but it's Goldies that is the trap.  It's like BSU football- overrated.

KingPotato Couch's post is spot on for breakfast.  Bacon is downtown - the best bloodies.  And since the UFC fights are hard to find..   know there is NO coke snorting, high strung, pressure filled environment at Boise branch of the Rhino...  it acts like a bar...  because in Boise...  booze is first.

• Like 1

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! No, seriously HA! HA!

22 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Yes, just get to Goldies early - they open at 7:30.  Otherwise there's always open spots at the bar.

You're thinking of the End Zone, Pie Hole is the pizza joint - and yes the patio is great.

Ah, End Zone.  Thanks.

You making an appearance, or are you waiting until your favorite friends from Provo make their Hajj to Boise?

Just now, fanhood said:

Yes, we are staying at a house about 1 mile from Downtown. Looking for a good sports bar to watch Utah State boat race BYU on Friday night. A good place for breakfast and bloody mary's on Saturday morning to pre-game, then a place to watch the fights on Saturday night.

I would stay downtown on Friday night, The Silly Birch would be a great place to watch the game and will be full of local talent.

The great thing about The Silly Birch is it's basically the start of the red light district and you can work your way down from there.

Then there's the Whiskey Bar, Pengilly's (which has great live music) and the Cactus Bar (the only dive bar downtown, cash only).

There's a great taco truck hidden behind Dirty Roddy's (and yes you're going to want to check out Roddy's, sluttiest bartenders in Boise).

Skip China Blue, I repeat - skip China Blue.

Grainey's basement bars are a must.

I've never been a Reef fan.

Skip Amsterdam.

Might as well hit Humpin' Hannahs just for a look.

I'd end the night with a cab ride to SUDS or the End Zone, always gets busy after midnight and you might as well scout out the pre game location.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I'd recommend Bardenay for breakfast. It's a distillery/restaurant on the Basque Block. Food is pretty good, drinks are really good, and they have some TV's. Plus, it's right downtown, so it is not your vibe, there are a lot of places really close to there you can pop in and check out. It's also walkable distance to the stadium. It's a little bit of a hike, but the vast majority of the walk is through Julia Davis Park along the river, so it's a nice walk. 

The Tailgate used to have the UFC fights but they just sold to a Mexican Restaurant. I don't watch MMA much so I'm not sure of the best places for that. I know the Spearmint Rhino and Dave and Busters carries them... and it'd be a vastly different experience deepening on which of those you picked. 

6 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

You say pass on Goldy's, but suggest Bardenay for breakfast, which doesnt open until 11?

I was going to say that I didn't know Bardenay's was open for breakfast.

4 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Skip China Blue, I repeat - skip China Blue.

Reminds me of something I heard from a high school friend about a reunion event held at China Blue:

Me:  Hey, what's the aversion to China Blue?  I don't think I've ever been there, and skipped that part of the 10-year reunion.  Are they open for lunch?  I may have gone there for lunch when I worked downtown.

Her:  Uh, no.  It's a really gross dance club.  Unless you eat hookers and cocaine for lunch, you probably haven't been there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DesVandal said:

Watching a fight at the Spearmint Rhino is not what you are thinking.  First...  nobody is taking clothes off in Boise...  second - for mma fights...  this establishment turns into a bar... so this may sound like a trap - but it's Goldies that is the trap.  It's like BSU football- overrated.

KingPotato Couch's post is spot on for breakfast.  Bacon is downtown - the best bloodies.  And since the UFC fights are hard to find..   know there is NO coke snorting, high strung, pressure filled environment at Boise branch of the Rhino...  it acts like a bar...  because in Boise...  booze is first.

Bacon downtown is another outstanding choice

• Like 1

16 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Aztecs, do Goldy's. Just go early.  I would check out Bardenay in the evening though.

2959C357F47613E63985A975694B9193AFBE3E69

Although PieHole's patio is better for a day game, imo.  Aztec fans, SUDS and Piehole are essentially the student bars.  Think Effins.

Is garbage.  Unless you are staying at the hotels right there, pass.  KP, are you just trolling us right now? :P

@fanhood, I made some suggestions on AMesa.  I will be out in Boise for the game.  Don't trust Boise fans on Mexican food, do trust them on breweries and Basque food.  They also have an odd affinity for steak fingers, and get annoyed if you call them "Flatlanders". :ph34r:

No, that's not true. It opens at 10:00 on Saturday and Sunday for brunch. Like I said, I was specifically thinking of distance to the stadium and being able to watch college football. If I were going to recommend just breakfast, I'd trump Goldy's with Red Feather. No wait, the food is better, plus they have a full bar and a great patio.

The Tailgate was garbage... but they had UCF. Like I said, I don't follow MMA so I'm just suggesting the places I've been invited to. But you'll find your options are fairly limited for UCF fights, so you'll probably end up at a place that would normally not be recommended by locals for anything else.

Of some of the others mentioned:

The Shed - This one is actually a great idea. I didn't think of the Shed. Booze, good atmosphere, decent food, and just on the opposite end of campus from the stadium This would be great and then you could walk through campus to the game.

Big City - This is a good spot. I hole up for work a lot here. Coffee shop, but the food is pretty good. The portions are irritatingly ridiculously big and it's pretty cheap. If you want a lot of food for not much money, this is a good spot. Since it's not table service there may be a line to order here too.

Goldy's - It's really good, but I never think of going there because of the lines and it's good, but it's not that good. 

Bacon - good spot. Can't go wrong there. Good breakfast and of course their bacon is really, really good.

@fanhood, for watching the other games, I'd really recommend Hyde Park. You can watch around the stadium (End Zone, R Bar, or Suds) but they will be more social events and less Sports Bar after the game. Downtown will be the same thing, but if you do go there Taphouse is a good spot. Lots of TV's, lots of beers on tap, pretty good food. Also, the Shed wouldn't be bad either if you don't want to uber anywhere from the Stadium. Be aware that ubers after the game will be pretty spendy. Hyde Park is in the old part of Boise and is pretty cool. Plus there are five "sports" bars all within spitting distance of each other so you can check them all out. I think there is actually a shuttle from Hyde Park to the stadium and back. Also, you can grab a free shuttle from downtown to the stadium and back too, fyi. In Hype Park, Parilla, Harry's, Hyde Park Pizza, Sun Ray (in the back), and 13th Street all have TV's. 13th will be the least sports bar like. Parilla is a great spot. I watch a lot of away games there and would highly recommend it. But I'd check out the others too and see which one fits your vibe.

On 9/24/2018 at 7:19 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Whisky Bar is great but a lot of hipsters.  I prefer the dives if I am not looking for women though.

I'm not sure I'd consider The Whiskey a hipster bar. I'd say that 11th and Main is more of that. Neurolux, the Atlas, Mulligans, The Modern, The Olympic, and 10th St is way more hipster like. Most wouldn't go to 6th and Main.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

No, that's not true. It opens at 10:00 on Saturday and Sunday for brunch. Like I said, I was specifically thinking of distance to the stadium, being able to watch college football, and distance to the stadium. If I were going to recommend just breakfast, I'd trump Goldy's with Red Feather. No wait, the food is better, plus they have a full bar and a great patio.

The Tailgate was garbage... but they had UCF. Like I said, I don't follow MMA so I'm just suggesting the places I've been invited to. But you'll find your options are fairly limited for UCF fights, so you'll probably end up at a place that would normally not be recommended by locals for anything else.

Of some of the others mentioned:

The Shed - This one is actually a great idea. I didn't think of the Shed. Booze, good atmosphere, decent food, and just on the opposite end of campus from the stadium This would be great and then you could walk through campus to the game.

Big City - This is a good spot. I hole up for work a lot here. Coffee shop, but the food is pretty good. The portions are irritatingly ridiculous and it's pretty cheap. If you want a lot of food for not much money, this is a good spot. Since it's not table service there may be a line to order here too.

Goldy's - It's really good, but I never think of going there because of the lines and it's good, but it's not that good. 

Bacon - good spot. Can't go wrong there. Good breakfast and of course their bacon is really, really good.

@fanhood, for watching the other games, I'd really recommend Hyde Park. You can watch around the stadium (End Zone, R Bar, or Suds) but they will be more social events and less Sports Bar after the game. Downtown will be the same thing, but if you do go there Taphouse is a good spot. Lots of TV's, lots of beers on tap, pretty good food. Also, the Shed wouldn't be bad either if you don't want to uber anywhere from the Stadium. Be aware that ubers after the game will be pretty spendy. Hyde Park is in the old part of Boise and is pretty cool. Plus there are five "sports" bars all within spitting distance of each other so you can check them all out. I think there is actually a shuttle from Hyde Park to the stadium and back. Also, you can grab a free shuttle from downtown to the stadium and back too, fyi. In Hype Park, Parilla, Harry's, Hyde Park Pizza, Sun Ray (in the back), and 13th Street all have TV's. 13th will be the least sports bar like. Parilla is a great spot. I watch a lot of away games there and would highly recommend it. But I'd check out the others too and see which one fits your vibe.

I was just ribbing.  Thanks for the extra spots.  You and TP are dropping knowledge.  

Aztecs, I will vouch on Taphouse.  Right on the main bar scene, a lot of TV's for its medium size, and the best beer selection in that area.  They carry at least two double IPA's pretty much every time I have been there.

I may look into Hyde Park on Thursday night for some Aztec reconnaissance.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DesVandal said:

You're in Meridian, right? You been to Grant's? That's the best brunch in Meridian. Also just won Best Fine Dining in Meridian.