Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

HMS Endeavour May Have Been Found

The story involves three subjects that interest me: archaeology (marine or otherwise), American colonial naval history, and the Age of Sail. 

And speaking of Cook, has anyone else made the pilgrimage to see this?

cookplaque2001.jpg

Lastly, for anyone interested in early American naval history (and in particular the colonial naval history of Rhode Island), there is a wonderful book entitled, Valour For and Aft, which was originally published for the Rhode Island historical society and chronicles the deployments and adventures of America's first naval vessel, the sloop Providence

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The story involves three subjects that interest me: archaeology (marine or otherwise), American colonial naval history, and the Age of Sail. 

And speaking of Cook, has anyone else made the pilgrimage to see this?

cookplaque2001.jpg

Lastly, for anyone interested in early American naval history (and in particular the colonial naval history of Rhode Island), there is a wonderful book entitled, Valour For and Aft, which was originally published for the Rhode Island historical society and chronicles the deployments and adventures of America's first naval vessel, the sloop Providence

I was in Rhode Island a few years back and had I known that marker was there I definitely would have sought it out. Thanks for the book information.

4 hours ago, crixus said:

I was in Rhode Island a few years back and had I known that marker was there I definitely would have sought it out. Thanks for the book information.

That might have worked, 'cept it's on the Big Island, not Rhode Island. :D

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

That might have worked, 'cept it's on the Big Island, not Rhode Island. :D

I've been to Hawaii too, but not the Big Island. So when I go back I'll be sure to look for Capt. Cook's marker. I had a brain fart and forgot he was killed by the Hawaiians even though it was mentioned earlier in this thread. I didn't get much sleep last night. Thanks.

3 hours ago, crixus said:

I've been to Hawaii too, but not the Big Island. So when I go back I'll be sure to look for Capt. Cook's marker. I had a brain fart and forgot he was killed by the Hawaiians even though it was mentioned earlier in this thread. I didn't get much sleep last night. Thanks.

No worries. FWIW kalua would be every bit the feral cannibal in Rhode Island as he is on any other island. So I say cannon ball or cannibal - Cook was eventually going to get f*cked in one place or another.

ETA: When you go, don't be a girly man and take a charter from Kaiiua. Be the man and kayak across Kealakekua Bay. You can use the launch at Napo'opo'o Park. Just tell the locals kalua sent you. Once they grab their children and chickens and amscray, the launch is all yours.