Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Bauer

We should get rid of the AP poll

Guest #1Stunner
53 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

The polls are a scam.  The rankings have no connection to reality whatsoever.  Prime example:  BYU ranked 25th when a better Cal team beat them in Provo and is unranked.  How stupid is that?

Friend, don't fight the BYU fever.

BYU is ranked 25th in the Nation.   Beating #6 Wisconsin, and breaking their home winning streak, going back to 2003.

This is a glorious time to be a BYU fan!

#StayWoke

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Friend, don't fight the BYU fever.

BYU is ranked 25th in the Nation.   Beating #6 Wisconsin, and breaking their home winning streak, going back to 2003.

This is a glorious time to be a BYU fan!

#StayWoke

Certainly more glorious than the day they got their butts whipped by the Bears.  

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Coaches poll is worse, coaches even admit they don't watch half the games and let someone else on their staff to do the voting and then the coach submits them. To me I think writers in the midwest to west have a better handle on voting since they can see all the games. But really it all comes down to for most of the voting just the box scores. Just imagine at one time, there used to be like 4 or 5 major polls that were declaring national champions at one time

I hate this excuse.  It's your damn job to watch teams play if you have a vote.  Stay up and watch, you flippin' lightweights.

5 hours ago, TrueAg said:

I agree with the general take on this but in Michigan State's defense, they didn't look bad in either game. It is obvious that they have weapons all over the field but the circumstances they faced in their first two games didn't turn out to be as easy as they may have appeared on paper before the season started. They have also fallen 13 spots in the polls from losing one game on the road on a last second field goal which seems appropriate.

It is teams like Michigan and Wisconsin that continue to live off of past reputation rather than actual in-season game results that make the whole thing a joke. Wisconsin looked no better last week against UNM than they did this week and yet they only fell a single spot (from #5 to #6) last week because lazy voters just looked at final scores instead of what happened in the games. And heaven help us if teams like Notre Dame or Florida State happen to win - they will rocket up the polls past more deserving teams.

I think Wisconsin's rep is well deserved, they went 13-1 last year and were very close to winning their league and playing in the playoff.  They've played in NY6 games 5 times since 2011, and 2 years in a row.  If you said "Nebraska" or "Florida State" I would agree with you. 

I think Michigan gets the most credit for past successes and they haven't had a special year in some time, but every year they are the highest ranked 1 loss team, then the highest ranked 2 loss team, the 3 loss, until they can't justify ranking them anymore.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I like the AP Poll.  It gives some historical context to the game: number of weeks ranked all time, number of weeks at #1, all time top 5 finishes.  Of course, if one's team never shows up on any of these lists, they might want to flush history down the memory hole.  The B1G was grossly overrated to start the year.  It will sort itself out by the middle of the season.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

16 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I hate this excuse.  It's your damn job to watch teams play if you have a vote.  Stay up and watch, you flippin' lightweights.

I think Wisconsin's rep is well deserved, they went 13-1 last year and were very close to winning their league and playing in the playoff.  They've played in NY6 games 5 times since 2011, and 2 years in a row.  If you said "Nebraska" or "Florida State" I would agree with you. 

I think Michigan gets the most credit for past successes and they haven't had a special year in some time, but every year they are the highest ranked 1 loss team, then the highest ranked 2 loss team, the 3 loss, until they can't justify ranking them anymore.

There has been a push recently to move the release of the AP poll or voting for it until Monday giving people more time to look into games and maybe actually watch some.

8 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

There has been a push recently to move the release of the AP poll or voting for it until Monday giving people more time to look into games and maybe actually watch some.

they should at least do that.  Would fix the east coast problem.

17 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I could even live with them not doing a poll until October.  No preseason, no polls in Sept.

Let's say Wisconsin goes out and loses this weekend to Iowa.  You have a team that has beaten WKU (0-3 so far), New Mexico (2-1 so far); lost to BYU and lost to Iowa.  So, they're 2-2, and I highly doubt they're rated 6th.  They'd probably get some votes.  They might get ranked later if they go on a run.  I just think the system is broken, and teams are given too much credit for the seasons of yesteryear without taking in to account what has happened this year. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

28 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I could even live with them not doing a poll until October.  No preseason, no polls in Sept.

Let's say Wisconsin goes out and loses this weekend to Iowa.  You have a team that has beaten WKU (0-3 so far), New Mexico (2-1 so far); lost to BYU and lost to Iowa.  So, they're 2-2, and I highly doubt they're rated 6th.  They'd probably get some votes.  They might get ranked later if they go on a run.  I just think the system is broken, and teams are given too much credit for the seasons of yesteryear without taking in to account what has happened this year. 

I think starting them in October wouldn't be a bad idea either. However pretty much polls are an after thought with the new way to do things. All that really matters now is that small group of people sitting in that room. And with polls and also people in that room I think what a team has done in the past does come into play when looking to place teams. They will give the benefit of the doubt to teams that have been powerhouses or consistantly ranked in the Top 25 where a team that doesn't fit into that will be judged differently.

12 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think starting them in October wouldn't be a bad idea either. However pretty much polls are an after thought with the new way to do things. All that really matters now is that small group of people sitting in that room. And with polls and also people in that room I think what a team has done in the past does come into play when looking to place teams. They will give the benefit of the doubt to teams that have been powerhouses or consistantly ranked in the Top 25 where a team that doesn't fit into that will be judged differently.

The people in that room are influenced by the polls.

34 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

This is how it should be done. I know all the magazines and networks want to have little numbers by the team names to attract viewers or entice people to pay for their pre-season "rankings" but without those rankings being based on actual game results, we are largely left with the same P5 teams being handed rankings that they have no business possessing and really good G5 teams having to put an entire season portfolio together before finally cracking the top 20 near the end of the year.

It just so happens that Wisconsin is one of the prime P5 examples this year. Even Badger fans wondered why they were in the top 10- and that was before this past weekend. If anyone watched #15 TCU vs  #4 OSU or #7 Auburn vs #12 LSU this past weekend and came away thinking that Wisconsin is anywhere near this level of play they're crazy. The polls are so bad that even after the Badger's lackluster play against UNM last week, they were still one of three teams garnering first place votes (along with Clemson and Alabama)....LMAO!

On 9/16/2018 at 10:51 PM, Jack Bauer said:

I completely agree with this.  Who ranks Florida State at this point in the game?  Why should Wisconsin be ranked after losing to a team at home that is benchmarking in the 50s currently?  Why does Michigan always get the benefit of the doubt when they never do anything? 

No rankings.  I really like Joel Klatt's take here. 

WTF is wrong with you? The AP poll is a hell of a lot better than the coaches poll. You do know that most of the coaches don’t even fill theirs out and leave it up to   unqualified “other” people? There’s no such thing as a good poll, but the AP is definitely the best. 

kat.jpg

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

WTF is wrong with you? The AP poll is a hell of a lot better than the coaches poll. You do know that most of the coaches don’t even fill theirs out and leave it up to   unqualified “other” people? There’s no such thing as a good poll, but the AP is definitely the best. 

giphy.gif