Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Bauer

We should get rid of the AP poll

I completely agree with this.  Who ranks Florida State at this point in the game?  Why should Wisconsin be ranked after losing to a team at home that is benchmarking in the 50s currently?  Why does Michigan always get the benefit of the doubt when they never do anything? 

No rankings.  I really like Joel Klatt's take here. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

19 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I completely agree with this.  Who ranks Florida State at this point in the game?  Why should Wisconsin be ranked after losing to a team at home that is benchmarking in the 50s currently?  Why does Michigan always get the benefit of the doubt when they never do anything? 

College polls early in the season are just worthless click bait.

Gives people something to brag about. 

Wait, Florida State is getting votes?  Really?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Klatt is right on the utter uselessness of the AP poll.  Most of the east coast beat writers are atrocious and don't bother catching the final round of games and there are so many name schools that get way too much leniency, even when compared to other P5 schools.

But it's never going away, because there has to be some sort of number or the games don't mean anything, clearly.

Yeah  I mean college football is the one major sport where how a HUMAN ranks you still has a huge impact on who wins the championship and gets bowl invites. Take for example this year if SDSU goes 12-1 I could honestly ranked them ahead of a 12-0 UCF (guessing many comp models would rank them ahead). BUT there is zero chance that will happens cause the human polls (including the cfp) will have UCF ranked higher. That is even if Stanford goes 13-0, ASU wins the Pac-12 south, and either Boise or Fresno ends ups ranked.  SDSU sch would clearly be tougher but they would be punished for sch a top 4 Stanford team and punished for UCF going undefeated last year.    

In the pro sports how a human ranks you has zero impact on your playoff seed. In the NCAA basketball it might change your seed one-two spots but does not have a huge impact. For college football it plays a large role in determining who makes the 4 team playoff.    

10 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Early in the season, voters really need to be willing to shift their preseason perceptions. Too often voters think they shouldn't move a team too far down for a loss, but when it's the only thing you have to go on, you absolutely should based on the results. 

Guest #1Stunner
11 hours ago, BroncoOrange said:

To tell the truth the Coaches poll is probably worse. I would be ok with the CFP poll only, but good luck getting the AP to give it up.

I agree.  Coaches poll is worse.   More prone to bias.

Yes, they do give the P5 schools the benefit of the doubt every season, but overall, I think the polls are fun and have no problem with them.

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Early in the season, voters really need to be willing to shift their preseason perceptions. Too often voters think they shouldn't move a team too far down for a loss, but when it's the only thing you have to go on, you absolutely should based on the results. 

On the other hand, a loss shouldn't automatically mean a drop. If the #20 team loses to the #2 team by a close margin, they shouldn't necessarily drop. But they'll always fall in the poll (well, almost always). The human polls are just messed up in every way.

2 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

On the other hand, a loss shouldn't automatically mean a drop. If the #20 team loses to the #2 team by a close margin, they shouldn't necessarily drop. But they'll always fall in the poll (well, almost always). The human polls are just messed up in every way.

Sure, I get that. But Michigan State, for example, was two minutes away from losing to Utah State at home and then lost to what was thought to be an average ASU team (and they might be average). At that point there is no way anyone should have them in the top - 25. Two games, didn't look close to a top-25 team in either of them, but there they were. People (voters) have egos and have a hard time admitting when they're wrong about a team. 

53 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Sure, I get that. But Michigan State, for example, was two minutes away from losing to Utah State at home and then lost to what was thought to be an average ASU team (and they might be average). At that point there is no way anyone should have them in the top - 25. Two games, didn't look close to a top-25 team in either of them, but there they were. People (voters) have egos and have a hard time admitting when they're wrong about a team. 

Definitely agree.

Coaches poll is worse, coaches even admit they don't watch half the games and let someone else on their staff to do the voting and then the coach submits them. To me I think writers in the midwest to west have a better handle on voting since they can see all the games. But really it all comes down to for most of the voting just the box scores. Just imagine at one time, there used to be like 4 or 5 major polls that were declaring national champions at one time

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I agree with the general take on this but in Michigan State's defense, they didn't look bad in either game. It is obvious that they have weapons all over the field but the circumstances they faced in their first two games didn't turn out to be as easy as they may have appeared on paper before the season started. They have also fallen 13 spots in the polls from losing one game on the road on a last second field goal which seems appropriate.

It is teams like Michigan and Wisconsin that continue to live off of past reputation rather than actual in-season game results that make the whole thing a joke. Wisconsin looked no better last week against UNM than they did this week and yet they only fell a single spot (from #5 to #6) last week because lazy voters just looked at final scores instead of what happened in the games. And heaven help us if teams like Notre Dame or Florida State happen to win - they will rocket up the polls past more deserving teams.

1 hour ago, TrueAg said:

I agree with the general take on this but in Michigan State's defense, they didn't look bad in either game. It is obvious that they have weapons all over the field but the circumstances they faced in their first two games didn't turn out to be as easy as they may have appeared on paper before the season started. They have also fallen 13 spots in the polls from losing one game on the road on a last second field goal which seems appropriate.

It is teams like Michigan and Wisconsin that continue to live off of past reputation rather than actual in-season game results that make the whole thing a joke. Wisconsin looked no better last week against UNM than they did this week and yet they only fell a single spot (from #5 to #6) last week because lazy voters just looked at final scores instead of what happened in the games. And heaven help us if teams like Notre Dame or Florida State happen to win - they will rocket up the polls past more deserving teams.

I don't think they're a bad team, but with every other team also having 2 or 3 games under their belt, if you were truly looking at the results and and not your preconceived biases they shouldn't have been in the top - 25. If ANY MW team started with this exact same results they would not even receive a single vote