Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Nice game BYU - too bad you have no hope for a NY6 game

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, RSF said:

That's funny...The idea that any school will travel 20K for a lower level bowl played on a Wednesday to play a barely .500 AAC school in what is NOT a tourist destination is laughable.  And the only way BYU does it is if half the Mormons in North Texas show up.  The 2016 Poinsettia Bowl, BYU's last bowl game, at a much closer venue and a tourist destination, had an announced attendance of 28K.  A 20K venue will work just fine.

The only other available bowls are the Armed Forces Bowl, which already does pretty well attendance wise, and the former Heart of Dallas Bowl, which is played in the 90000 seat Cotton Bowl and draws flies unless a regional team is playing.  Ironically, one of the lowest attended Armed Forces Bowls was in 2011, when it was played temporarily in Dallas...and BYU was playing.

Not that odd.  Denton is on the fringes (although that is changing), and farther out than Frisco.  Frisco is very aggressive about marketing itself, Denton not so much.  And for both Frisco and the bowl owners (that would be ESPN), selling tickets is a secondary concern.  It's a TV show, and Toyota Stadium is the studio.  ESPN wants ratings, and Frisco wants the marketing.  And given the payout is peanuts (200k), selling tickets really isnt that big of a deal.  

No BYU fans will "travel" to a lower tier Texas Bowl game. 

The BYU fans in attendance would all be locals from the Dallas area.  Would easily be 20,000 BYU fans at the game.

BYU needs to schedule more games in Texas.  Would be huge.

12 hours ago, pacougar said:

First,  where have you seen any BYU fan mention the Fiesta Bowl?

Second there may be some BYU fans that at least mentally  bookmarked statements like "There is no way there are six wins in that 2018 BYU schedule". Or,  "Cal will give them their second loss of the season and send them to a second straight losing season". Or,  Independence has made them completely irrelevant and the program is dead".  Just some examples. 

I'm with Jack I'm not the biggest fan of independence but it does give BYU a lot of high profile opportunities. I'd say BYU was pretty relevant last Saturday.  Lead story on pretty much every national sports broadcast.  And,  I'll bet they will be pretty relevant a week from Saturday. At least before the game.  Who knows how the game will turn out.  Oh wait,  a lot of the folks on this board do.  After all,  BYU has no chance at any sign of recovery this year and won't beat a single P5 on their schedule. 

Fun fact...  BYU has 2 road victories against P5 schools 3 weeks into the 2018 season.  I think Boise has, what, 3 in their entire history????

2008 @ Oregon

2015 @ Virginia 

2016 @ Oregon St

v0icAvfW.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

Fun fact...  BYU has 2 road victories against P5 schools 3 weeks into the 2018 season.  I think Boise has, what, 3 in their entire history????

2008 @ Oregon

2015 @ Virginia 

2016 @ Oregon St

Didn't Boise beat VA Tech in a big game, like 10 years ago?  They also beat Georgia.

Oregon St and Wazzu a couple years ago, as well.

2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Uhh, first page man.

Not sure I follow you on your second paragraph. I meant that as in "haters of BYU" (I am not one of them), not that you guys were bookmarking posts or threads.

What I was saying was there were a lot of folks on here predicting the total demise of BYU's football program, and total athletic department from a few at the end of last season with the 4-9 record.  I mentally bookmarked a lot of them.  I don't know how BYU will finish this year.  I suspect Washington will be a loss.  But then I thought Wisconsin would be a loss as well.  BYU has never won in Boise, so is it going to start this year? I doubt it.  Whittingham is in BYU's head.  I won't predict a win against Utah until I see one.  But, the season, three games in is already better than many here said was possible.  I think all of the games I didn't mention could very well be BYU wins.  That would be 8-4.  Nobody on here, okay maybe three, thought BYU had any chance at that.

As for the other one.  His first statement was BYU is not going 11-1.  So, how is that him talking about a Fiesta Bowl.  Which, he never mentioned.  Not trying to argue.  I'm with the few other BYU fans on the board.  I'm awful proud of the win the team I cheer for got in a very tough place to play last Saturday.  Let's see what happens the rest of the way.  Good luck to your Broncos the rest of the way except against BYU and USU.  

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Didn't Boise beat VA Tech in a big game, like 10 years ago?  They also beat Georgia.

I don't know the answer.  BSU has some great wins over the years, so does BYU.  I do know the Va Tech game was "neutral", played in DC.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, pacougar said:

I don't know the answer.  BSU has some great wins over the years, so does BYU.  I do know the Va Tech game was "neutral", played in DC.

Most of those "neutral" games for BSU were actually road games, at NFL stadiums near the team they were playing.

17 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Neutral site games...  I was surprised at how poorly they’ve fared overall in true road games.  I expected better.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, NorCalCoug said:

Neutral site games...  I was surprised at how poorly they’ve fared overall in true road games.  I expected better.

I'll give them credit for those Neutral site games.   Playing Georgia at the Atlanta Falcons stadium is basically a road game.

Also, I give Boise a lot of credit.  They have scheduled BYU home and home for the entire time we've been Indy.    It's appreciated.   I wish we had a similar deal with Hawaii.

Wow. Look at all the BYU fans crawl out of the woodwork after a good win. YNOT, ezone, cougarben, npliam, robe.  

Not shocked they are talking about Fiesta bowls after one win.   At least there’s not much Heisman and natty talks in September like previous years.

2 hours ago, utenation said:

Wow. Look at all the BYU fans crawl out of the woodwork after a good win. YNOT, ezone, cougarben, npliam, robe.  

Not shocked they are talking about Fiesta bowls after one win.   At least there’s not much Heisman and natty talks in September like previous years.

Utah and Wyoming fans really stroke  our ego. Whenever I'm down I just come on here. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

3 hours ago, utenation said:

Hey,  how about me.  I thought you'd died.  I'll still buy lunch.