Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fearthefumanchu

The secret to SJSU football's monetary prowess

"Sometimes, San Jose State is on the paying end. It gave UC Davis $400,000 to pay a Week 1 visit this year; the Aggies not only got the money but beat the Spartans 44-38"

Great press for the conference Spartans!  or Trojans...whatever.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

This is why SJSU will never drop Football. That's just wishful thinking. 

The Conference will hopefully take note of this article. These guys just don't give a shit about being competitive. It's all about those money games and using them to fund other sports. 

Really makes you wonder why Idaho dropped down.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Pretty simple math.  2 money games moving forward can get up to $4M.  If you have an athletic budget between $20M and $30M,  you can pretty much balance it with 2 losses.  I like the comments from the players and the experience of playing in front of 100k fans, something that doesn't happen at the G5 level.  This is why I don't see NMSU moving down anytime soon.  While going independence is risky,  i just don't see the point in going FCS until we see what the next round of musical chairs brings, and even then the money still probably won't make sense.  Of course, there is the issue of what to do with oly sports. Last year in the WAC, NMSU beat a top 10 team at the time in Miami, went to NCAA yet again, went 3-0 vs MWC, and finished with a top 40 RPI per realtime RPI.  They were within a few votes of cracking top 25 late in season before a road loss at UVU.  As long as the WAC is around,  MWC and other G5 teams are willing to travel to Las Cruces for football, and the SEC is paying up to $2M per game,  the formula will work.  For Idaho, they had other issues, namely infrastructure with a stadium that sits 15k.  NMSU doesn't have that issue, and also can build a G5 schedule around annual rivalry games of UNM and UTEP.

Yeah, the money the big boys pay is insane.  They love their football in the SEC and BiG land, that is for sure.  NMSU has Alabama on tap in 2019 and 2021.  Nobody pays better than the Crimson Tide.

21 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I think Idaho had some pride.  Being competitive again and playing for a conference title played into their decision.  Returning to their glory days in the big sky offers them a shot to right the ship.  Great call by their AD and prez.  San Jose has zero pride and has never been good. 

9 minutes ago, slappy said:

I think Idaho had some pride.  Being competitive again and playing for a conference title played into their decision.  Returning to their glory days in the big sky offers them a shot to right the ship.  Great call by their AD and prez.  San Jose has zero pride and has never been good. 

My guess it had nothing to do with pride or playing for a conference title.  They didn't have the money to build a bigger football stadium.  15k is too small.  They play in Moscow with a small population to draw from.  They also fit within the Big Sky footprint more or less and had a history there.  Idaho fans can give their own input, but i didn't see a single fan comment when this all went down that they looked forward to playing for an FCS conference title, especially 2 years removed from an FBS bowl win.

9 minutes ago, alum93 said:

My guess it had nothing to do with pride or playing for a conference title.

I think you underestimate both of these factors.  When you go from winning titles and competing for national titles at the 1AA level to having the worst winning percentage in football for 20 years  people get upset, money stops flowing etc.  Losing programs have a really hard time improving and building facilities.  You need to win.  Taking a step backwards sometimes allows you to run forward.  

1 hour ago, godogsgo said:

"Sometimes, San Jose State is on the paying end. It gave UC Davis $400,000 to pay a Week 1 visit this year; the Aggies not only got the money but beat the Spartans 44-38"

Great press for the conference Spartans!  or Trojans...whatever.

"The cost of flying a team, coaches, staff, school officials and equipment across the country and paying for hotels and meals can eat up as much as $100,000 from the payout."

So the cost of putting equipment and personnel on a bus and driving them from Davis to San Jose and back again must have cost UCD what, 10 grand? Yet San Whore-se State not only didn't EARN money from that game, it paid UCD 40 times that much to make the trip? :hahaha:

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The cost of flying a team, coaches, staff, school officials and equipment across the country and paying for hotels and meals can eat up as much as $100,000 from the payout. 

So the cost of putting equipment and personnel on a bus and driving from Davis to San Jose must have cost UCD what, 10 grand? Yet San Whore-se State not only didn't EARN money from that game, it paid UCD 40 times that much to make the trip? :hahaha:

Bet you're glad you converted that 4th qt, 4th and 10 last weekend.... impressive...#dynamicoffense

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

"The cost of flying a team, coaches, staff, school officials and equipment across the country and paying for hotels and meals can eat up as much as $100,000 from the payout."

So the cost of putting equipment and personnel on a bus and driving them from Davis to San Jose and back again must have cost UCD what, 10 grand? Yet San Whore-se State not only didn't EARN money from that game, it paid UCD 40 times that much to make the trip? :hahaha:

Half of the team probably is from the south bay anyway (I see UCD stickers everywhere here).  They also saved add'l money on logistics.  

SAN!

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

4 hours ago, RogueStout said:

This is why SJSU will never drop Football. That's just wishful thinking. 

The Conference will hopefully take note of this article. These guys just don't give a shit about being competitive. It's all about those money games and using them to fund other sports. 

Sad but true. The Admin doesn't care about being competitive in football. There's a real good chance we'll go 0-12, but Prez Mary and AD Marie won't change thing$.

16 minutes ago, crixus said:

Sad but true. The Admin doesn't care about being competitive in football. There's a real good chance we'll go 0-12, but Prez Mary and AD Marie won't change thing$.

Then do your part as an alum and encourage your Prez to drop football or drop to FCS so the MWC doesn’t have to carry your dead weight a$$es. 

12 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Then do your part as an alum and encourage your Prez to drop football or drop to FCS so the MWC doesn’t have to carry your dead weight a$$es. 

Why don't you do your got dam part and challenge your dumb ass OC and his trick play call... still embarrassed by that play.  I've been at a loss all week in explaining to people why it is a defending champion MWC team, (that's my conference, MF) would have to resort to the statue of liberty, or whatever the F they ran, in an attempt to beat a cellar dwelling, roll the damn boat, big 10 losing school.  WTF Cincy, WTF?? Fumblerooski tomorrow? 

At least lil train took the better part of the week off; hide your face already. #prideless

3 hours ago, creeper86 said:

Why don't you do your got dam part and challenge your dumb ass OC and his trick play call... still embarrassed by that play.  I've been at a loss all week in explaining to people why it is a defending champion MWC team, (that's my conference, MF) would have to resort to the statue of liberty, or whatever the F they ran, in an attempt to beat a cellar dwelling, roll the damn boat, big 10 losing school.  WTF Cincy, WTF?? Fumblerooski tomorrow? 

At least lil train took the better part of the week off; hide your face already. #prideless

kid-kicking-ball.gif

4 hours ago, crixus said:

There's a real good chance we'll go 0-12, but Prez Mary and AD Marie won't change thing$.

Because they both played football in high school and know from that it's just a dying fad?

Boom goes the dynamite.

This is going to be our longest football season ever... :waiting: