Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

OT: Long Beach State to change their mascot

I'm sure Humboldt State's nazi administration,  no doubt currently engaged in a session of mutual masturbation in the Founders Hall boardroom fresh off their victory over the football team, will move to do away with the  "Lumberjack" name next after seeing this. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

I'm sure Humboldt State's nazi administration,  no doubt currently engaged in a session of mutual masturbation in the Founders Hall boardroom fresh off their victory over the football team, will move to do away with the  "Lumberjack" name next after seeing this. 

This must be a dumb movement like what UNLV's admin did, where they argued that "people of color" feel left out, or are otherwise offended, by a white mascot.

That's why UNLV's new modern art logo is racially neutral.

New-Unlv-Logo-L.E.-Baskow_1_t1000.jpg?c7

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This must be a dumb movement like what UNLV's admin did, where they argued that "people of color" feel left out, or are otherwise offended, by a white mascot.

its completely sexist. has a mustache.  

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

One thing that isn't neutral about it is that it looks like shit. 

Just now, pokerider said:

its completely sexist. has a mustache.  

Clearly you haven't spent any time in Northern California or at New England Liberal Arts colleges. 

6 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Tree genocide is no laughing matter.  Down with the lumberjacks!

For Wyoming fans, their going to come after us too eventually.  They will say Cowboy is a sexist term and cowboys mistreated women, stole land from Indians, and mistreat animals. And then they will say a bucking horse is cruel.  I'm serious too, they will do this.  

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Tree genocide is no laughing matter.  Down with the lumberjacks!

Stanford has their pine tree mascot.

Maybe Long Beach State can do a palm tree version?   They have palm trees on their basketball court.

6454849.jpeg

tree-palm-tree-sjs-beacon-baseball-llc-f

october-23-2010-stanford-ca-usa-version-

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, pokerider said:

For Wyoming fans, their going to come after us too eventually.  They will say Cowboy is a sexist term and cowboys mistreated women, stole land from Indians, and mistreat animals. And then they will say a bucking horse is cruel.  I'm serious too, they will do this.  

You are probably right.   And the witch hunt will come from within, from Wyoming's students.

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

These guys approve this.

spotted-owl1.jpg

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RogueStout said:

These guys approve this.

spotted-owl1.jpg

Years back, the Stanford band pissed off the Oregon fans at a half time, saying that Oregon's lumberjack industry killed the spotted owl.

Calm down - No one thinks of the Gold Rush when they think of Long Beach. 

For years they haven't used their mascot because it's just not that emblematic of that particular part of California; their mascot needs to be ocean or beach related because that is what SoCal people think of when they think of Long Beach. 

So few people understand California history that they probably think they chose the mascot for the NFL team...

I think posters are reading too much into the mascot style guide stating the obvious about non-human mascots.

Of course someone on campus has made a postmodern analysis of the racial dimensions of their mascot - I hardly think that would be a significant reason the administration wants to have a more recognizable mascot or that students from Long Beach State don't want to have a cooler mascot.

3 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well this is California who is actually as some radio host said the other day, kind of showing the country what direction they could be heading toward. However I wonder if they will still call the baseball team Dirtbags?

There would be hell to pay from the baseball alums if the school changes that nickname.

2 hours ago, pokerider said:

A movement started recently to change UC Santa Barbara's mascot.  Ours is also a cowboy, albeit one from Argentina.

@SleepingGiantsFan, i'm surprised no one has raised a ruckus about CSUN's mascot yet - the Matadors.  Kinda glad too.

http://blogs.csun.edu/facultypresident/2017/04/28/mascot-history-and-background/

northridge.jpg?format=1000w