Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

OT: Long Beach State to change their mascot

This might belong in the non-sports section...

Long Beach State will be voting on a new mascot.   In addition, President Jane Close Conoley said that an agreement was reached to relocate the statue of their current mascot, Prospector Pete, after 51 years to a new alumni center. 

http://www.daily49er.com/news/2018/09/11/lbsu-opts-to-move-prospector-pete-statue-and-get-a-new-mascot/

In terms of finalizing a new mascot, I don’t want to give a too ambitious timeline. Change is coming soon,” said Leen Almahdi, vice president of Associated Students Inc.

The ASI Senate agreed to write up a referendum for a finalizing a new mascot, with one rule.

“The Cal State University system has asked us to stay away from people [as mascots],” Conoley said.

SDSU just went through their mascot dilemma recently although their new president decided (wisely) to stick with the Aztecs.  

Exactly when did the prospectors commit genocide?

See the source image

5 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

This might belong in the non-sports section...

Long Beach State will be voting on a new mascot.   In addition, President Jane Close Conoley said that an agreement was reached to relocate the statue of their current mascot, Prospector Pete, after 51 years to a new alumni center. 

http://www.daily49er.com/news/2018/09/11/lbsu-opts-to-move-prospector-pete-statue-and-get-a-new-mascot/

In terms of finalizing a new mascot, I don’t want to give a too ambitious timeline. Change is coming soon,” said Leen Almahdi, vice president of Associated Students Inc.

The ASI Senate agreed to write up a referendum for a finalizing a new mascot, with one rule.

“The Cal State University system has asked us to stay away from people [as mascots],” Conoley said.

SDSU just went through their mascot dilemma recently although their new president decided (wisely) to stick with the Aztecs.  

Someday it'll just be animal mascots, but "non-threatening" ones like the Banana Slugs in Santa Cruz. :rolleyes: I wonder who's next on the PC name change list? Spartans? 

6 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Doesn’t this just ensure that in a few years discussion of the actions of the prospectors will just stop on the LBSU campus forever? Seems a little Orwellian.

¿LBSU?  ¿Don't you mean CSULB?

11 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

They should the name of the school also. Being along Beach is offensive to the beaches that are short.

TRUE...the LBC coast line is 95% port & marina.  The sand near Belmont Shores is the only beach I know of in Long Bch & grew-up a lil' north in Redondo Bch.  "Redondo" means "round" en Español, yet our beach is very long & straight.  GO FIGURE.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well this is California who is actually as some radio host said the other day, kind of showing the country what direction they could be heading toward. However I wonder if they will still call the baseball team Dirtbags?

No, that is an offensive term. Someone might be offended by that.