Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluerules009

Nike Losses All Better

Just now, happycamper said:

Cause when I think woke capitalism I see this face:

Image result for davis raiders

Ha! I don't care about the woke capitalism aspect of it. That's more for San Francisco and Silicon Valley types. The Raiders have always understood branding ... or at least did when Pappa Al was still running the show. Oakland is a majority minority city, including a large African-American population. Many of them are Raiders fans. And the Raiders brand itself has been associated with rebellious, anti-authoritarian, and/or anti-establishment views.

The Raiders could have sold a ton of jerseys and perhaps even smooth its image over with a fanbase that they are counting on for a few years until their new stadium in a new city is ready. 

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Cause when I think woke capitalism I see this face:

Image result for davis raiders

Here is what I am talking about. Here is what the NFL top-selling jersey map looked like before last season:

DGzqePEXkAYNrWS.jpg:large

Look at the west. 

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

My wife is a Democrat.  The Nike move pissed her off. She said it was insensitive towards those who serve the country.  She is an athlete and used a lot of Nike gear...says shes done with it.  Shocked the crap out of me. 

She is not alone.  The Nike ad pissed off a lot of people.

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/324743/nikes-net-favorability-plummets-mostly-among-r.html

copy-of-copy-of-copy-of-copy-of-ri-table-format-67_Pvdyhu8.jpg

38 minutes ago, easybronc said:

I wonder what Nike's market research showed.  Or, is it that the folks at Nike don't do market research before they initiate a major marketing campaign?  

As mediapost itself stated, there are differences along political lines.  Like I commented earlier, Nike's target market most likely does not include a large segment of Trump voters.  

5 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

I wonder what Nike's market research showed.  Or, is it that the folks at Nike don't do market research before they initiate a major marketing campaign?  

As mediapost itself stated, there are differences along political lines.  Like I commented earlier, Nike's target market most likely does not include a large segment of Trump voters.  

Of course Nike conducted market research. And that poll doesn’t tell you what you would want to know as a marketer. A decline in overall favorability would have been expected. The question is does new enthusiasm for the brand as a result of the ads trump whatever potential customers they would lose from the campaign in the short-term.

judging by the 31% uptick in online sales in the first week, it appears Nike knew what it was doing.