Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

The Kavanaughcalypse!

11 minutes ago, pokebball said:

And it has come out that Ford's lawyer Debra Katz is also the vice chair of the Project On Government Oversight.  POGO co-signed a letter to Feinstein and Grassley demanding Kavanaugh's records during his confirmation hearings.  POGO is funded by George Soros.

Also, Brett Kavanaugh has deep ties to Ken Starr and the Republican party. :pitchforks:

50 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Well, let's be clear since I initially misinterpreted what you meant. The scrubbing wasn't done by Ford.

Truth be told, the scrubbing was probably done by the same kind of tight ass Catholics who continue to support a Pope who has covered up pedo priests.

Not that there was any reason in the world for somebody to look down at those girls. As said above, wild parties weren't exactly uncommon in the seventies and eighties. I should know because I attended a number of them, albeit without getting puke drunk because I tended to smoke a joint before going in and therefore usually drank only a couple brewed rather than shooting a 6-pack worth as soon as walked in like so many other guys did.

I must confess. I have puked from drinking. In high school and college. My god. I'm one step away from providing false testimony to Congress.

15 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Kavanaugh hasn't tried to claim he was some innocent citizen making unbiased yet unsupported accusations for reasons having nothing to do with political bias.

I don't know what this woman is claiming as far as her politics. I do know that if I was going to hire a lawyer for such a thing I would want one that had tons of experience dealing with Congress and public records. So, you know, maybe it's not such a surprise.

Also, I just found out that if you a hire a lawyer who has defended a murderer it does not necessarily make you a murderer. 

Edit: Even more, it appears her lawyer has litigated many sexual harassment and sexual abuse cases, and held a Women’s Law and Public Policy Fellowship at Georgetown University Law Center. Seems like a good choice if I was in the accuser's shoes.

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don't know what this woman is claiming as far as her politics. I do know that if I was going to hire a lawyer for such a thing I would want one that had tons of experience dealing with Congress and public records. So, you know, maybe it's not such a surprise.

Also, I just found out that if you a hire a lawyer who has defended a murderer it does not necessarily make you a murderer. 

Edit: Even more, it appears her lawyer has litigated many sexual harassment and sexual abuse cases, and held a Women’s Law and Public Policy Fellowship at Georgetown University Law Center. Seems like a good choice if I was in the accuser's shoes.

That's disingenuous. You know for damn certain she's no conservative. If this were an Obama nominee, her accusation would have never come forward.

If you disagree, then why did her accusation not come forward when he was a lawyer, a judge, a federal district judge? Why now?

18 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

.Also, I just found out that if you a hire a lawyer who has defended a murderer it does not necessarily make you a murderer. 

I've been around enough DA elections to dispute this claim.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, CV147 said:

why did her accusation not come forward when he was a lawyer, a judge, a federal district judge? Why now?

She probably didn't see his name in the news every day when he was going about those other things.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

She probably didn't see his name in the news every day when he was going about those other things.

I doubt she never knew he was on the federal district court. We won't know unless she agrees to testify however.

12 minutes ago, CV147 said:

That's disingenuous. You know for damn certain she's no conservative. If this were an Obama nominee, her accusation would have never come forward.

If you disagree, then why did her accusation not come forward when he was a lawyer, a judge, a federal district judge? Why now?

You're right. Her accusation against Kavanaugh would never have happened if it was say Merrick Garland instead of Kavanaugh. I mean, sure that's probably because she never met an Obama nominee. But I concede your point. That much I think we can be certain of. So I guess you have me there.

I don't presume to know why she did or didn't do anything. Could be that she didn't want to deal with it until she saw Kavanaugh nominated for such a high-profile lifetime position. Maybe she's part of a George Soros-funded Deep State conspiracy. 

33 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

If you were going to be used for political purposes.  Such a lawyer with that kind of experience might be recommended by a politician who wanted to use your claim for political purposes at that most politically appropriate moment.   Especially an accusation with no corroboration or even a year and location of the occurrence that had only one use which was the character assassination for political purposes.

While Kavanaugh has had no problem agreeing to testify under oath and denying the actions in specific and if untrue easily disproved manner.

She has no specificity in her allegation.  As if she was worried about being proven a liar.

1 minute ago, CV147 said:

I doubt she never knew he was on the federal district court. We won't know unless she agrees to testify however.

Assuming she did know... why did the women who were harassed by Roy Moore wait until he was about to become a Senator before they came forward? There's a threshold. I had a landlord when I lived in NY who was a scumbag and a dick. He was also a well-known local mucky-muck. I didn't call the local newspaper to tell them about how he was a scumbag and a dick. If he ran for city council or congress, I just might. It's not unreasonable to suggest she made similar calculations assuming she knew he was an attorney or even a federal judge, vs one of nine spots on what is often the most powerful branch of the federal government in terms of dictating future policy. 

https://politics.theonion.com/gop-officials-kavanaugh-shouldn-t-be-held-accountable-1829178729

WASHINGTON—Vehemently defending the Supreme Court nominee against recent allegations of sexual assault, GOP officials declared Wednesday that Brett Kavanaugh shouldn’t be held accountable for something he did as a white teenager. “We’re talking about something that occurred when Mr. Kavanaugh was a mere 17-year-old Caucasian,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), adding that it was ridiculous to allow a single incident that happened when Kavanaugh was in an elite and mostly white high school ruin the career of such an accomplished white person. “I expect most of my colleagues here in the Senate remember what it’s like to be a young white man and make mistakes. The important thing is that we learn from those mistakes and grow up to be responsible white adults. It’s shameful that my Democratic colleagues feel the need to sully Judge Kavanaugh’s reputation when they, too, surely understand that boys of European descent will be boys of European descent.” McConnell went on to state that the assault would hardly even be noteworthy had the victim not been a 15-year-old white girl.

24 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

If you were going to be used for political purposes.  Such a lawyer with that kind of experience might be recommended by a politician who wanted to use your claim for political purposes at that most politically appropriate moment.   Especially an accusation with no corroboration or even a year and location of the occurrence that had only one use which was the character assassination for political purposes.

While Kavanaugh has had no problem agreeing to testify under oath and denying the actions in specific and if untrue easily disproved manner.

She has no specificity in her allegation.  As if she was worried about being proven a liar.

Nah. Anyone would want the best lawyer they could get for this. But let's not fool ourselves. She is being used for political purposes ... there is no doubt about that. She is being used as a pawn, and I am sure she knows that, too. But that doesn't mean she's lying.

To your other point, Kavanaugh can't not testify because that would be the end of his nomination. On the other hand, it is entirely reasonable for the accuser, who wanted to remain anonymous, to be reluctant to testify on such a public stage. Anita Hill was not treated well, and I doubt this woman will be either. None of it speaks to the truthfulness of the accusations, of course. This could be a contrived left-wing plot devised by this woman, but I haven't seen much compelling evidence to suggest that this is the woman's motivation, at least not yet.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

When I last did that, it was depressing. Not only to see how young I looked, but to see all the girls I probably could have banged had I had the guts and knowledge that I later did in college. Oh well, better late than never.

I was in the same spot. I would be talking to my friends about high school and it would be well this one liked you, this one liked you and I would be like WTF? But then what gets me is how many of my former classmates have passed on.

16 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Nah. Anyone would want the best lawyer they could get for this. But let's not fool ourselves. She is being used for political purposes ... there is no doubt about that. She is being used as a pawn, and I am sure she knows that, too. But that doesn't mean she's lying.

To your other point, Kavanaugh can't not testify because that would be the end of his nomination. On the other hand, it is entirely reasonable for the accuser, who wanted to remain anonymous, to be reluctant to testify on such a public stage. Anita Hill was not treated well, and I doubt this woman will be either. None of it speaks to the truthfulness of the accusations, of course. This could be a contrived left-wing plot devised by this woman, but I haven't seen much compelling evidence to suggest that this is the woman's motivation, at least not yet.

Kavanaugh did not have to make such specific denials to such an unspecific accusation.

The fact a person trained in the law who is also receiving some pretty fair legal advice, would make such specific denials.  When much safer and completely reasonable vague denials would have sufficed, seems pretty convincing to me.

30 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

https://politics.theonion.com/gop-officials-kavanaugh-shouldn-t-be-held-accountable-1829178729

WASHINGTON—Vehemently defending the Supreme Court nominee against recent allegations of sexual assault, GOP officials declared Wednesday that Brett Kavanaugh shouldn’t be held accountable for something he did as a white teenager. “We’re talking about something that occurred when Mr. Kavanaugh was a mere 17-year-old Caucasian,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), adding that it was ridiculous to allow a single incident that happened when Kavanaugh was in an elite and mostly white high school ruin the career of such an accomplished white person. “I expect most of my colleagues here in the Senate remember what it’s like to be a young white man and make mistakes. The important thing is that we learn from those mistakes and grow up to be responsible white adults. It’s shameful that my Democratic colleagues feel the need to sully Judge Kavanaugh’s reputation when they, too, surely understand that boys of European descent will be boys of European descent.” McConnell went on to state that the assault would hardly even be noteworthy had the victim not been a 15-year-old white girl.

That is awesome!

Looks like we lost a day. To nobody’s surprise, everything has gotten dumber.

Grassley asks for response by 5, then 10 Eastern. Without accepting by that time he schedules a vote for Monday. Deadline passes, Ford camp asks for another day to think about it. Grassley accedes and cancels the vote.

Dnq5yeTX0AAgz3Y?format=jpg

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.