Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

The Kavanaughcalypse!

19 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Like Diane Feinstein?

Advocates and collaborators are not the same thing. And remember, the only reason I'm even dipping my toe into this s---pond is to ask what we do if both people are telling the truth . Diane Feinstein has very little to do with that question other than the extent to which she likely considered it herself.

I'm glad it only took a few moments to get back to partisan mudslinging though. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

13 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

What makes you think that Kavanaugh has received death threats?

Because people have threatened Susan Collins and her staff. It’s reasonable to assume people have made threats to Kavanaugh as well. But they have a filter that doesn’t allow the threats to get to Kavanaugh and his family.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Advocates and collaborators are not the same thing. And remember, the only reason I'm even dipping my toe into this s---pond is to ask what we do if both people are telling the truth . Diane Feinstein has very little to do with that question other than the extent to which she likely considered it herself.

I'm glad it only took a few moments to get back to partisan mudslinging though. 

This is all politics my friend.   I simply took exception to the suggestion that the GOP had folks in high places as if the DNC does not.  That was a silly point.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

He and he and he said....she said

The case is closed unless the prof has more evidence

Right. Like I said to begin, many made up their mind on this allegation the moment Kavanaugh was nominated and months before any allegation was made.

Just now, mugtang said:

Because people have threatened Susan Collins and her staff. It’s reasonable to assume people have made threats to Kavanaugh as well. But they have a filter that doesn’t allow the threats to get to Kavanaugh and his family.  

A filter? wouldn't the secret service investigate any threats?

1 minute ago, jackmormon said:

A filter? wouldn't the secret service investigate any threats?

Yes. I’m venturing to guess you couldn’t just call up Kavanaugh or his family if you wanted to right now.  Or send him mail if you wanted to.  Thus, a filter. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

14 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Judge specifically stated that  "More to the point, I never saw Brett act in the manner Dr. Ford describes."

True enough but what are you trying to say?

Edit: Don't bother. NVGiant has effectively debunked your argument.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, pokebball said:

This is all politics my friend.   I simply took exception to the suggestion that the GOP had folks in high places as if the DNC does not.  That was a silly point.

I don't think he suggested that at all. In fact, I think you completely misconstrued his point. 

9 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Again, collaborators in high places and advocates in high places are two different things. I've with my own two eyes on multiple occasions watched people lie (in at least one, under oath) to protect the powerful by corroborating their stories in an attempt to delegitimize the credibility of a single individual. Further, I have on multiple occasions had my former drug addict best friend recall something from a single event in our early 20s in the same way that I recalled said event, while my wife who was also there at the time recalled said event completely differently in ways that remain disconcerting to me... and there's not an alleged crime in those scenarios besides various substances being consumed. I think it's as possible that one of these scenarios is at play here as it is that this woman is just making this up to derail a supreme court nominee. More likely the latter.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Right. Like I said to begin, many made up their mind on this allegation the moment Kavanaugh was nominated and months before any allegation was made.

I accept that many are acting based on an outcome they would like see.  But I don't think anyone's ignoring the evidence that currently exists. Not only does Cavanaugh have two "witnesses" identified by the accuser, denying her claim ever happened, he's got women he has worked with for 30yrs speaking to his very high character.  Ford's claim is seriously lacking any evidence to back it up.  The GOP hasn't acted prematurely on her claims.  It's only been a week and in that week they've been working to try to set up a time for her to testify (and Feinstein has refused to help with that arrangement). 

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don't think he suggested that at all. In fact, I think you completely misconstrued his point. 

"powerful people always have a way of finding collaborators, especially in high-profile, high-stakes scenarios."

Who received the letter in this high-profile, high-stake scenario?

8 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Again, collaborators in high places and advocates in high places are two different things. I've with my own two eyes on multiple occasions watched people lie (in at least one, under oath) to protect the powerful by corroborating their stories in an attempt to delegitimize the credibility of a single individual. Further, I have on multiple occasions had my former drug addict best friend recall something from a single event in our early 20s in the same way that I recalled said event, while my wife who was also there at the time recalled said event completely differently in ways that remain disconcerting to me... and there's not an alleged crime in those scenarios besides various substances being consumed. I think it's as possible that one of these scenarios is at play here as it is that this woman is just making this up to derail a supreme court nominee. More likely the latter.

To a point made by another in this thread, I think you want to think one of these scenarios is at play.  Another mistake I think you are making is that you are not considering the fact that no other woman has come forward and many, many women that he has dated and worked with over the past 35yrs have come forward in his defense and spoken to his character.

I think one of the sides is seriously mischaracterizing anything that might have happened, beyond any reasonable persons conclusion that they both can be telling the truth.

I'm assuming I'm not going to convince you otherwise and you will not me, so let's agree to disagree on move on.