Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

The Kavanaughcalypse!

6 hours ago, pokebball said:

With all of my respect towards @thelawlorfaithful and others trying to put this thread over 200, what are your thoughts about Kav hiring the first ever, all female, law clerk team?

http://theweek.com/speedreads/800702/brett-kavanaugh-just-hired-supreme-courts-first-allwomen-law-clerk-team

That's surprising that he's the first. In my admittedly limited experience, most attorneys have almost all women clerking for them.

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

Just checking, is everybody still alive?

I is ded 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

45 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Is David A. Clarke Jr. the biggest wing nut black man on the planet or did he simply get hit over the head with a 2X4 - hard? Discuss.

Its close

24 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

I is ded 

I knew it 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

How long ago does this seem?

DmSz6IFUwAAmUy_.0.jpg

Like a decade ago. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

22 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Behind Obama? 

Nah. He isn't batshit crazy like Clarke. He's just a ruthless Chicago politician. If he was lighter complected you'd have called him "Mayor Daley"...

That said, you could almost do a March Madness of Crazy Black Wingnuts though if you were so inclined. Or of any race's Lunatic Fringe/Wingnuts really. Then a big cumulative one at the end. It could be good fun. 

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They seem about as productive as most congresses in the 21st century. :shrug:

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/how-many-bills-has-trump-signed-law-his-first-500-n879886

According to GovTrack, Trump has signed 176 bills since his inauguration. That’s about on par with Barack Obama at this point in his presidency (174), and slightly behind George W. Bush (187). But both Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush far surpassed those numbers in the pieces of legislation signed in their first 100 days, 262 and 309 bills, respectively. 

But what about those post office namings and “National Country Music Day” designations? NBC News counted each piece of legislation passed under Trump and the previous four presidents and removed those that simply named, commemorated, awarded or appointed an individual, group or cause. 

Under that count, Trump is also about on par with his previous two successors. Of the 176 bills he has signed into law, 132 are classified as substantive, compared to 118 for Obama and 133 for George W. Bush. But George H.W. Bush and Clinton are far ahead of all three, clocking in at 170 and 177.

Congress has been abdicating its role since 9/11, so those numbers don't surprise me. But do you argue that three of the four biggest accomplishments of the gop's congressional leadership since getting back into power are not related to the supreme court? (Not to mention the fourth is a deficit buster) You don't find that troubling that the Senate thinks of itself most importantly as a hiring committee for the supreme court?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Did the world end yet?

Nah, that was last night about dusk.

The Falcon 9 was crazy in the sky.  Didnt know about it, called the kids and my mom out to look at the bright light in the sky.  My son mumbled, thats it, its either aliens or a meteor, we are all going to die.

My mom responded "trent, you are a master of information, but half of it is bullshit".  My 12 year old had no response for his eighty year old grandma on that one.  It was pretty funny.

2 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

The Falcon 9 was crazy in the sky.  Didnt know about it, called the kids and my mom out to look at the bright light in the sky.  My son mumbled, thats it, its either aliens or a meteor, we are all going to die.

My mom responded "trent, you are a master of information, but half of it is bullshit".  My 12 year old had no response for his eighty year old grandma on that one.  It was pretty funny.

That's funny as shit

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I thought that something nutty was going on too. Pulled over the car, and a few others did too. Didn't know what it was til I looked it up later.

My wife is making fun of me now because she says I believe in UFOs. But if you didn't know what was going on, it was a little disconcerting.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Congress has been abdicating its role since 9/11, so those numbers don't surprise me. But do you argue that three of the four biggest accomplishments of the gop's congressional leadership since getting back into power are not related to the supreme court? (Not to mention the fourth is a deficit buster) You don't find that troubling that the Senate thinks of itself most importantly as a hiring committee for the supreme court?

I would say yes, the Supreme Court confirmations do count among their “biggest” accomplishments. That may have been the case no matter what. It’s clear that the Supreme Court has been given outsized priority in this country, so I think any GOP majority Senate would have targeted swinging it to the right a little bit as an objective if two seats game up in two years. That’s a sad statement, but it’s indicative of how much Congress has abdicated its responsibility to the Court for decades.

Taking a more pragmatic view, the Senate has done about as much as it can all things considered. There is an obnoxious, inexperienced, inarticulate person in the White House with a penchant for kicking a hornets nest when he should be providing cover. Anything that requires some sort of compromise gets scuttled because he either provides zero leadership (Obamacare) or blunders through things to where nothing can get done (Immigration). Now this is what the GOP voters signed up for, but I don’t blame the Senators. They’ve done okay to make chicken shit into chicken shit salad.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.