Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

The Kavanaughcalypse!

5 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

What’s her motivation for coming forward with this accusation? Just a “vindictive liberal C who wants to torpedo the first man up” in what is bound to be a long line of conservative nominees? NEXT!! “Whoops! Guess I didn’t think that through very well.”

Kavanaugh has a lifetime appointment to the SCOTUS on the line.

What does she have to gain? Death threats? 15 minutes of infamy? A pleasant chat in front of a group of partisans on national TV? Sounds like a real hoot! “Where do I sign up to be a disposable partisan pawn who’ll be reviled by roughly half the country forever!?”

She gets to become a hero to her democratic friends.  There will be articles praising her for decades just like Anita Hill the left loves their victims.

She isn't accusing a democratic president of rape with witnesses and corroboration.  She isn't an intern being taken advantage of by a democratic president.  She won't have her life ruined. 

She will probably make big cash making speeches for the next 3 decades as a democratic icon.  I think she has a lot to gain in her world.  She lives in a bubble on campus as a proffesser, she won't deal with real people in the real world.  There is almost no long term negative and probably some financial gain.

48 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Well, you know if the Republicans .... attack ads are going to say, "Accused "

That will happen regardless the committee actions.  And not just attack adds, mainstream media will leverage for decades.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 minute ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

What’s her motivation for coming forward with this accusation? Just a “vindictive liberal C who wants to torpedo the first man up” in what is bound to be a long line of conservative nominees? NEXT!! “Whoops! Guess I didn’t think that through very well.”

What does she have to gain? Death threats? 15 minutes of infamy? A pleasant chat in front of a group of partisans on national TV? Sounds like a real hoot! “Where do I sign up to be a disposable partisan pawn who’ll be reviled by roughly half the country forever!?”

More than a handful of folks didn't think this thing through.  

The World Needs More Cowboys!

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I seriously doubt she will show and that tells me a lot about her allegations. 

If she doesn't show, the strategy then had to be to get additional women to come forward.  That still might happen.  If there are, I hope they remember more than she did.

8 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Is there any statute of limitations here?  I’m not sure what LE can do with 30+ year old allegations of holding a hand over a mouth and dragging off a bed,  The whole thing just seems weird and awfully convenient timing.

Especially considering the timing of when Feinstein got the letter

20 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

The bottom line is you are not going to hear this woman's story because it isn't believable and she isn't credible and she won't under any circumstance ever testify under oath.   After all the whole point of this exercise is to delay a vote and destroy a political opponents reputation at any cost.   

She is being given an opportunity to testify in closed or open session.  I will bet you she won't take either option.  

This is character assassination, nothing more nothing less.  The accusation has no support other than one woman's uncorroborated claim.   Even if true, and that is a big if.   You cannot destroy a person over such a spurious accusation, and you can stick your politically correct bullshit right where the sun don't shine.

This is my take - she won't testify.  She and her attorney left themselves an out ... "Unless there is an FBI investigation, she won't testify before the committee".  This is her way out, the - FBI won't investigate.  No way she testify's under oath with such a flimsy story. 

110926run_defense710.jpg

10 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

She gets to become a hero to her democratic friends. 

Not to me she won't be.

Oh wait, I'm no longer a Democrat.

MY prediction: On Friday, she'll agree to testify on Monday and then after she comes off as unpersuasive, Feinstein & Co. will say their reaction was the opposite. Then when it's pointed out how many observers disagree, they'll say Ford's testimony would have been much better had the Republicans allowed sufficient time for an investigation. My reaction to THAT will be this is one more thing the Democratic leadership effed up, thereby proving that regardless of how biased and incompetent the Republicans always are, it's quite possible for the Democrats to beat them at their own game.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

To a point made by another in this thread, I think you want to think one of these scenarios is at play.  Another mistake I think you are making is that you are not considering the fact that no other woman has come forward and many, many women that he has dated and worked with over the past 35yrs have come forward in his defense and spoken to his character.

I think one of the sides is seriously mischaracterizing anything that might have happened, beyond any reasonable persons conclusion that they both can be telling the truth.

I'm assuming I'm not going to convince you otherwise and you will not me, so let's agree to disagree on move on.

I'm fine with moving on, and your earlier comment about not being as far off from NVGiant shows how sometimes we argue about nuance while not being that far off. But I do want to clarify - I'm not all-in on either side here, and really I'm not leaning either way. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that something probably happened between the two of them at some point at some place when they were teenagers, that she remembers the event as a traumatic experience and that he either doesn't remember it or he does remember it as either a consensual thing or basically a swing and a miss on his part that he didn't further pursue, but because of the nature of its being made public at this time and the gap between what is being accused and what he remembers, there is particular interest for him to deny even the scenario. Even with the scenario above, I am not suggesting that he should be arrested or is unfit to serve as a supreme court justice.

It is impossible to know what happened for sure, and there is a lot of evidence to support that Kavenaugh is not a rapist maniac. But the interesting question to me remains what are we to do, as a society, if we dig through all of this and are still left with the question that I've asked twice now? And what are we to do if/when we find ourselves with the same issue as we look at other sexual harassment or assault accusations in places like, say, college campuses? That is a question that no one seems to be interested in talking about, or at least no one has any interest in talking about when it involves confirming a supreme court justice. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Not to me she won't be.

Oh wait, I'm no longer a Democrat.

MY prediction: On Friday, she'll agree to testify on Monday and then after she comes off as unpersuasive, Feinstein & Co. will say they're reaction was the opposite. Then when it's pointed out how many observers disagree, they'll say Ford's testimony would have been much better had the Republicans allowed sufficient time for an investigation. My reaction to THAT will be this is one more thing the Democratic leadership effed up, thereby proving that regardless of how biased and incompetent the Republicans always are, it's quite possible for the Democrats to beat them at their own game.

Assuming we've already heard all she's got, and that's a big if, If she publicly testifies, I'm most interested in watching three senators - Feinstein, Booker and Harris.  I hope someone has cameras permanently on these three. Their facial expressions will be priceless.

17 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

You can't be this stoopid.

110926run_defense710.jpg

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I agree. It doesn't make any sense. It's why the allegations have to be taken seriously. 

It makes complete sense, message boards are not the exclusive domain of tools.

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm fine with moving on, and your earlier comment about not being as far off from NVGiant shows how sometimes we argue about nuance while not being that far off. But I do want to clarify - I'm not all-in on either side here, and really I'm not leaning either way. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that something probably happened between the two of them at some point at some place when they were teenagers, that she remembers the event as a traumatic experience and that he either doesn't remember it or he does remember it as either a consensual thing or basically a swing and a miss on his part that he didn't further pursue, but because of the nature of its being made public at this time and the gap between what is being accused and what he remembers, there is particular interest for him to deny even the scenario. Even with the scenario above, I am not suggesting that he should be arrested or is unfit to serve as a supreme court justice.

It is impossible to know what happened for sure, and there is a lot of evidence to support that Kavenaugh is not a rapist maniac. But the interesting question to me remains what are we to do, as a society, if we dig through all of this and are still left with the question that I've asked twice now? And what are we to do if/when we find ourselves with the same issue as we look at other sexual harassment or assault accusations in places like, say, college campuses? That is a question that no one seems to be interested in talking about, or at least no one has any interest in talking about when it involves confirming a supreme court justice. 

On your last point, I believe it''s an extremely complicated matter with no apparent solution; perhaps unsolvable.  At least for now.  

22 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

What's her motivation?  Let me think about this and get back to you.

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Assuming we've already heard all she's got, and that's a big if, If she publicly testifies, I'm most interested in watching three senators - Feinstein, Booker and Harris.  I hope someone has cameras permanently on these three. Their facial expressions will be priceless.

If it’s a public hearing I’m not sure the Dems show up. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Come on, Nevada has a top ten basketball team.  Certainly you've heard of the four corners

I understand why Democrats would go down this road. I don't know why the accuser would do it. She'd have to be nuts ... which may very well be the case.

One thing I need to say about the posters on this board -  you all are so much better than the folks posting in the comment sections after most of these internet articles.  Thanks to all of you for that...even though one of us referred to the content as vomit!  We done good :) 

The allegation would have been more credible if Feinstein hadn't waited until Congress was ready to vote to spring this on them.

It smacks of a politically motivated fabrication in order to delay the confirmation. The Democrats are thinking up probably another dozen crises to push it off until January.

And what's in it for the woman? She gets fame. She gets to say that she was willing to #Resist this administration by any means necessary.

There is no way it will ever be proven true or false. Everyone knows that. She has no chance of being prosecuted for perjury. She has nothing to lose, and a place in history to gain.