Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

The Kavanaughcalypse!

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The potential for harpooning a confirmation before a replacement could be put forward before the midterms.

That’s a bad strategy though.  Nothing motivates the right like an open SCOTUS seat.  If the Dems manage to torpedo Kavanaugh the GOP will keep the Senate and may even pick up a couple if seats.  And if that happens get ready for Justice Barrett who is way more conservative than Kavanaugh.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Gonna have to be in that half the people here. She delivered the letter to the FBI for investigation but redacted the name. If she thought the allegation was serious and credible, it beggars belief that she told no one, not even the other Dems on the committee, until the week of confirmation. It was a completely calculated political move.

Maybe, but most likely she decided to come out with the information because she didn't want a rapist to have a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.  And even if it were a calculated political move it shouldn't matter. I don't any of us want a rapist on the Supreme Court.  

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

41 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Maybe, but most likely she decided to come out with the information because she didn't want a rapist to have a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.  And even if it were a calculated political move it shouldn't matter. I don't any of us want a rapist on the Supreme Court.  

She's claiming he raped her?  I missed that I guess.  Honestly, I haven't been following this.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

51 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Reality called, says you guys should meet.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

If the GOP was smart they would do the following:

1. Withdraw or Reject Kavanaugh

2. Hold the seat open through the midterms.  The right will come out in the States with vulnerable Dem senators and they will pick up seats in the senate.

3. Have Trump nominate Barrett.

4. Watch Cory Booker mansplain womens rights to a woman.

5. Confirm Barrett

6. Kill Roe as she is against abortion (for the record I don’t care about abortion either way). 

But what the GOP will do is:

1. Push Kavanaugh through.

2. People will believe he is tainted.

3. The Dems will take both the House and the Senate.

4. Then Trump will be impeached. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, pokebball said:

She's claiming he raped her?  I missed that I guess.  Honestly, I haven't been following this.

No, that’s not at all even close to what was claimed.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

If the GOP was smart they would do the following:

1. Withdraw or Reject Kavanaugh

2. Hold the seat open through the midterms.  The right will come out in the States with vulnerable Dem senators and they will pick up seats in the senate.

3. Have Trump nominate Barrett.

4. Watch Cory Booker mansplain womens rights to a woman.

5. Confirm Barrett

6. Kill Roe as she is against abortion (for the record I don’t care about abortion either way). 

But what the GOP will do is:

1. Push Kavanaugh through.

2. People will believe he is tainted.

3. The Dems will take both the House and the Senate.

4. Then Trump will be impeached. 

there is a big risk that even if they hold off on confirmation they still lose the house and senate

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

That’s a bad strategy though.  Nothing motivates the right like an open SCOTUS seat.  If the Dems manage to torpedo Kavanaugh the GOP will keep the Senate and may even pick up a couple if seats.  And if that happens get ready for Justice Barrett who is way more conservative than Kavanaugh.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You don’t really want to gamble on a midterm with a pissed off democratic base. To this point Kavannaugh was an exemplary pick with dozens and dozens of people to testify to his character. The accuser should be heard out by the committee if she’s willing, they should look at the evidence. But the weight of her allegation alone against everything else is not enough to hold up Kavannaugh’s confirmation. 

3 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

there is a big risk that even if they hold off on confirmation they still lose the house and senate

There is risk but the map favors the GOP in the Senate. There are several Senate Dems in states Trump won by double digits up for re-election in 2018.  

The House is a lost cause. 

4 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

And it’s not like Coney Barrett or whomever won’t be subject to being smeared by any means necessarry. All they’d be doing is showing these eleventh hour stunts work.

9 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And it’s not like Coney Barrett or whomever won’t be subject to being smeared by any means necessarry. All they’d be doing is showing these eleventh hour stunts work.

yep.  Party of everything these days....

12 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Then I guess it’s a good thing he’s not getting a lifetime appointment. 

39 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

:rolleyes:

How does a guy in a situation like Cavanaugh is in, win.  It's impossible.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

How does a guy in a situation like Cavanaugh is in, win.  It's impossible.

Well If the allegations are true he’s already won and is getting off light.