Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

Would Thompson pursue a scheduling agreement with top MBB teams?

I don't know if this would interest Gonzaga but - with the 20 game schedules becoming more common - has the MW league office thought about pursuing individual team scheduling agreements?

A MW-Gonzaga arrangement (resembling the loose arrangement that MW FB teams have with BYU) would be huge for MW basketball schedules. Probably the next best thing to having the Zags as members.

I believe the CUSA has made agreements with a few leagues. Their conference office is also doing creative things with their conference schedules.

IMO, teams like GCU and NMSU should be on almost every MW schedule (like BYU is for FB). It would help everyone involved.

What kinds of things is Thompson doing to help the conference get more opportunities higher up in the tier system? Does he just leave it up to the schools themselves? 

For MW basketball to pull up the nose of the plane, this guy needs to be a 'lifer' MW coach.

The conference really needs to devise an approach to scheduling that gives MW coaches a fighting chance at at-large bids. Otherwise, the lifer coaches like a Tark will get lured away.

Nevada needs to become a Gonzaga-type program (and I believe they can be). If they can maintain that, I have no doubt that Gonzaga will join forces and perhaps those two programs can help the others.  

4S_e22qj_400x400.jpg

ECU can help the American cause by not putting North Carolina A&T on their schedule.  Losses to A&T in basketball last year, football this year...

MVC vs MWC

"Annual matchups for teams in the Challenge Series are based upon factors including the previous year’s achievements, records and RPI rankings, as well as projected rankings/strength of teams in the upcoming season, based upon composite sources."

The 2018 slate will feature three NCAA tournament teams from last season (Loyola Chicago, Nevada and San Diego State) and a rematch of the thrilling Sweet 16 game between Nevada and Loyola Chicago.

https://themw.com/news/2018/5/2/mountain-west-missouri-valley-release-pairings-for-2018-mens-basketball-challenge-series.aspx

The LAST thing we ever want to do is to do something like this with the WCC.

48 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

MVC vs MWC

"Annual matchups for teams in the Challenge Series are based upon factors including the previous year’s achievements, records and RPI rankings, as well as projected rankings/strength of teams in the upcoming season, based upon composite sources."

The 2018 slate will feature three NCAA tournament teams from last season (Loyola Chicago, Nevada and San Diego State) and a rematch of the thrilling Sweet 16 game between Nevada and Loyola Chicago.

https://themw.com/news/2018/5/2/mountain-west-missouri-valley-release-pairings-for-2018-mens-basketball-challenge-series.aspx

The LAST thing we ever want to do is to do something like this with the WCC.

I completely agree unless we have the top three or four teams from the WCC and MWC go against each other. Forget the rest of the teams. 

I really couldn't care less whether the MW adds Gonzaga or simply plays the Zags on a regular basis and I don't see much evidence anyone else here does either. So maybe you should speak with Few about that, DoubleL.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I really couldn't care less whether the MW adds Gonzaga or simply plays the Zags on a regular basis and I don't see much evidence anyone else here does either. So maybe you should speak with Few about that, DoubleL.

Disagree. The Zags would have made the MWC a much better basketball conference. 

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Disagree. The Zags would have made the MWC a much better basketball conference. 

The Zags would make all conferences a much better basketball conferrnce.