Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NevadaFan

Is BYU back?

Its hard to tell anything in Week 1. Arizona is under a new coach who is changing their system and also changing what their QB does which is causing some issues. It was a defensive battle at points in the game. it was  good win for BYU but to say they are back, it wee bit to soon.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

This is the real reason BYU will most likely not be invited to a power conference. 

No doubt about it.  Large portions of Utah's, BYU's, and USU's rosters are older guys---guys who served Mormon Church missions.

It's huge for the O-Line and D-Line.   All three teams would not be as good without it.  I shudder to think about how bad BYU's OLine would be without the 25 year olds....  I can only wish BYU could have Utah's talent on D-Line---25 years olds, but BYU's guys are getting older and will catch up.

Tanner Mangum absolutely dominated on Saturday, and his maturity really showed through.   I won't be surprised if Tanner is the most google searched college football player in three states right now.  This guy is really popular right now.

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Its hard to tell anything in Week 1. Arizona is under a new coach who is changing their system and also changing what their QB does which is causing some issues. It was a defensive battle at points in the game. it was  good win for BYU but to say they are back, it wee bit to soon.

Arizona's QB is a Heisman candidate.  I was really surprised, as I feel that he would not start in the MWC.   It's obvious that he was overrated, and not very good.

The PAC12 is really down this year.  Arizona was picked to finish near the top of their division----and they are not very good.   Worse than Boise, for sure.

Here is their schedule.  Their game against Houston this weekend will be huge.

https://fbschedules.com/arizona-football-schedule/

Guest #1Stunner
50 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

^^This^^.

I'm not sure we learned much about BYU at all other than they can celebrate being 1-0 like they just won a NY6 bowl.

On the other hand, Arizona looked so awful there are hardly words. Tate needs to put down all the magazines he's on the cover of and start to get serious about how to do his part to make his team better. I really think the 'Cats only hope for "W's" this year is to win in shootout fashion because their defense is non-existent. I'm not sure they had a player in position to make a defensive stop all night.

Will you be tuning in again this weekend?

The CAL vs BYU game will be on ESPN2 at 8 p.m.  Pregame will be presented by BYUtv.

This game will be huge.  I won't be surprised if the stadium breaks 60,000 attendance.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Arizona's QB is a Heisman candidate.  I was really surprised, as I feel that he would not start in the MWC.

Here is their schedule.  Their game against Houston this weekend will be huge.

https://fbschedules.com/arizona-football-schedule/

I don't put much into those pre-season things because they base it on what the player did the previous year. With the game, you could see the change in philosophy at Arizona I think is going to hurt his style and very possibly will not live up to the expectations. If they allowed him to run the kind of offense they had last year under Rodriguez he might  be making headlines but different coaches different systems. I think Tate fit Rodriguez's offense perfectly but for an offense for Sumlin, he I think is going to feel out of place. 

However it will be an interesting game against Houston. I wasn't really impressed with Houston but they found a way to beat Rice on Saturday so that was something but was really surprised to see they had struggled with Rice in the first half.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, wolfpack1 said:

I don't put much into those pre-season things because they base it on what the player did the previous year. With the game, you could see the change in philosophy at Arizona I think is going to hurt his style and very possibly will not live up to the expectations. If they allowed him to run the kind of offense they had last year under Rodriguez he might  be making headlines but different coaches different systems. I think Tate fit Rodriguez's offense perfectly but for an offense for Sumlin, he I think is going to feel out of place. 

However it will be an interesting game against Houston. I wasn't really impressed with Houston but they found a way to beat Rice on Saturday so that was something but was really surprised to see they had struggled with Rice in the first half.

What is strange is that Rich Rod and Sumlin supposedly run very similar offensive schemes.  Tate is tailor made to fit into Sumlin's scheme.

We saw that Tate really struggled.   Didn't appear that he understood what to do...   It looks like the PAC12 is really struggling this year.    The South Division looks really down, with both Arizona and UCLA losing.

The BYU O-Line threw Arizona's players around all night.  The D-Line abused their O-Line.

Anyway, I'll for sure check out a bit of the Arizona vs Houston game.   

Guest #1Stunner
16 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Lots of BYU fans celebrating.  Great game Arizona.

19 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Don't discount the fact that BYU fans made up about 1/4 of the fans at the game.  Sort of took over the stadium.

The BYU fans were loud on Arizona's third downs.   Sort of confused the AZ QB.

19 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Don't discount the fact that BYU fans made up about 1/4 of the fans at the game.  Sort of took over the stadium.

The BYU fans were loud on Arizona's third downs.   Sort of confused the AZ QB.

Oh I don't, i know BYU fans travel well especially if the game is closed to Provo. We drew a pretty decent crowd when they came to Reno to play Wolf Pack.

23 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What is strange is that Rich Rod and Sumlin supposedly run very similar offensive schemes.  Tate is tailor made to fit into Sumlin's scheme.

We saw that Tate really struggled.   Didn't appear that he understood what to do...   It looks like the PAC12 is really struggling this year.    The South Division looks really down, with both Arizona and UCLA losing.

The BYU O-Line threw Arizona's players around all night.  The D-Line abused their O-Line.

Anyway, I'll for sure check out a bit of the Arizona vs Houston game.   

i saw parts of the game and then read some stuff about the game but it appears Sumlin is trying to get Tate to run less and throw more and that is very possible is what is making him confuse. He might not be used to checking off with recievers and just taking off running with the ball when its not there. 

9 am on either ABC or ESPN2 for the Arizona/Houston game on Saturday

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

This is the real reason BYU will most likely not be invited to a power conference. 

Nonsense. 

https://herosports.com/college-football/oldest-teams-2018-arizona-state-utah-state-ucf-byu-aiai

Arizona St.'s average age is 24.8. BYU is tied for third oldest with Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, and UCF - at 23.5 years old.

Arizona's average age is 23.3, a whole 2.5 months less than BYU.

Wisconsin, Washington St., Syracuse, North Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas, and Alabama all have an average age of 23.

If 2 years off to serve a mission was such an advantage, more teams would encourage players to serve religious and peace corps missions. They don't, because it isn't an advantage to send players away for 2 years, without access to coaching, conditioning, weight training, etc. and the possibility to lose their desire to attend the university post-mission or to even play football or get back into football shape. 

1 hour ago, YNot said:

Nonsense. 

https://herosports.com/college-football/oldest-teams-2018-arizona-state-utah-state-ucf-byu-aiai

Arizona St.'s average age is 24.8. BYU is tied for third oldest with Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, and UCF - at 23.5 years old.

Arizona's average age is 23.3, a whole 2.5 months less than BYU.

Wisconsin, Washington St., Syracuse, North Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas, and Alabama all have an average age of 23.

If 2 years off to serve a mission was such an advantage, more teams would encourage players to serve religious and peace corps missions. They don't, because it isn't an advantage to send players away for 2 years, without access to coaching, conditioning, weight training, etc. and the possibility to lose their desire to attend the university post-mission or to even play football or get back into football shape. 

Lol

same ol party line. 

Yeah two more years of physical and mental maturity means nothing for men between the ages of 18 and 22. 

In fact it's a disadvantage. Great stuff. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Oh I don't, i know BYU fans travel well especially if the game is closed to Provo. We drew a pretty decent crowd when they came to Reno to play Wolf Pack.

LMAO...they don't "travel" at all. They simply show up from the local church meeting houses in whatever city the road games are being played.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

LMAO...they don't "travel" at all. They simply show up from the local church meeting houses in whatever city the road games are being played.

This is true...  You are absolutely correct.

Only 30% of BYU students are even from Utah (Provo, Logan, Ogden, SLC, etc).   

Large numbers are in other places, like AZ, CA, ID, WY, NV, OR, WA, etc

14 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Didn't realize there were so many BYU fans at the Tucson church meeting house.

BYU topics here: can’t live with them and can’t live without them apparently. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
22 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU is the most popular, most watched, most talked about team in the Intermountain West.

It's the most discussed team in 5 States.

29 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

By reading this board, it's like they never +++++ing left.

11 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

RichRod is just way better at getting more out of a running QB than Sumlin is. 

I think Houston will probably beat them.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg