Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NevadaFan

Is BYU back?

Their win over Arizona greatly improves their chances of going to a bowl, but I wouldn't break out the "Quest for Perfection" tee shirts just yet. Arizona's defense is bad, and Tate obviously does not fit into Sumlin's offense like he did Rich Rod's ( hard to believe they ran him so sparingly ). I think the game against Cal will give us an idea if they can win 8-9 games this year, or if they will be struggling to get to 6.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

10 hours ago, Warbow said:

How many passes did Dylan Collie drop?

2 hours ago, YNot said:

Collie had one of the best catches of the game (tip-drill grab) for a first down at a crucial moment. He also ran jet sweep for 13 yards for a first down. Not a huge game, but an important piece to the improved receive corps. 

No drops.  He was only targeted on the nice catch YNot referenced.  Tanner completed passes to 10 different receivers. 

2 hours ago, Mano said:

Their win over Arizona greatly improves their chances of going to a bowl, but I wouldn't break out the "Quest for Perfection" tee shirts just yet. Arizona's defense is bad, and Tate obviously does not fit into Sumlin's offense like he did Rich Rod's ( hard to believe they ran him so sparingly ). I think the game against Cal will give us an idea if they can win 8-9 games this year, or if they will be struggling to get to 6.

Can't really disagree with you, but BYU looked very different to me in this game compared to any game last year.  The offense did not look lost on the field and actually had an identity.  Give some credit to the BYU defense.  Even when plays broke down, Tate was not able to make much happen.  Again, not saying we are world beaters, but perhaps not to be overlooked.  Cal might be a better test.  So hard to tell with just one game played for BYU, UA, and Cal.

The BYU O line looked very good against Arizona's front 7.  Plus RB Squally Canada did a nice job of reading those holes created.  Much, much different from last year, but just like everybody this early in the season, need to see the true quality of their vanquished opponent.

Still think Mangum is not a particularly good QB, but again, it's early.

22 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Oh ffs, BYU dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and limited one of those most dynamic players in college football to 14 yards rushing.  Arizona had a punt bounce off their ankle and it went uncalled despite BYU recovering.  This stuff happens in every game. 

In real time it did appear as though the ball hit the Zona player's ankle. However, the slo-mo replay showed that it clearly hadn't. So stopped taking your cues from Sitake.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, Pelado said:

No drops.  He was only targeted on the nice catch YNot referenced.  Tanner completed passes to 10 different receivers. 

He should have stayed in Hawaii then. Hawaii receivers are putting up great numbers right now. On 2nd thought, you can have him and 10 drops per season.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

2 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

The BYU O line looked very good against Arizona's front 7.  Plus RB Squally Canada did a nice job of reading those holes created.  Much, much different from last year, but just like everybody this early in the season, need to see the true quality of their vanquished opponent.

Still think Mangum is not a particularly good QB, but again, it's early.

At halftime I was thinking that I wouldn't mind seeing true freshman Zach Wilson replace Tanner in the second half.  Then, in the third quarter, Tanner had 10 completions on 10 attempts for 104 yards and a touchdown (and just barely missed another passing TD when Holker stepped out of bounds just before the endzone).  BYU outscored Arizona 21-0 in the third, making me glad Tanner was in there.

6 hours ago, Mano said:

Frankly, I think they're a soft team.

They have some really solid LBs, but their defensive line is crap, and their secondary is average.

Their offensive line isn't real intimidating either.  Tate hasn't had a good game in his last several outings after starting strong so either people have figured him out or his coaches need to make some serious adjustments to the scheme. 

I think BYU is improved, but I don't think Arizona is the juggernaut or dark horse in the PAC that many predicted in the offseason.  Who knows?  Maybe BYU is better than we thought. 

I felt like BYU had to have this game, and they played like it.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

37 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

They have some really solid LBs, but their defensive line is crap, and their secondary is average.

Their offensive line isn't real intimidating either.  Tate hasn't had a good game in his last several outings after starting strong so either people have figured him out or his coaches need to make some serious adjustments to the scheme. 

I think BYU is improved, but I don't think Arizona is the juggernaut or dark horse in the PAC that many predicted in the offseason.  Who knows?  Maybe BYU is better than we thought. 

The new OC paid immediate dividends. BYU seems to understand better its strengths and played to them. Strong running game and possession passing. Canada looked like a nice back and so much better than last year. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

In fairness to Arizona's offensive line, this was the first start for pretty much all of them.  They'll likely be better later in the season.  There was even one play in which both the guards pulled in opposite directions and subsequently crashed into each other.

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

The new OC paid immediate dividends. BYU seems to understand better its strengths and played to them. Strong running game and possession passing. Canada looked like a nice back and so much better than last year. 

I think that's what Ty wanted to do last year, but for whatever reason couldn't.  It's nice to have a bazillion more years of coaching experience on the offensive staff this season.

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

I am not sold on Canada, Arizona has a porous defense and Canada has not seemed much better than a serviceable back in the past, and even in this game his ypc  was nothing to write home about.  

I think  this offensive system is more suited for this team than Detmer's was, and although I thought Arizona had a horrible offensive approach given their personnel, the cougars defense looked very good. They should be better than last year, but Mangum and Canada still have a lot to prove for me to consider them anything more than average players.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner

BYU is the most popular, most watched, most talked about team in the Intermountain West.

It's the most discussed team in 5 States.

The game on Saturday was life changing for many fans....  An all time classic.

This Saturday, tune your television set to ESPN2, 8:15 MDT, to watch another classic: BYU vs California.  Pregame will be presented by BYUtv.

#GoCougs

#BYUbeatBoise

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, kalua pig said:

hawaii is going to cut up byu in provo this year.you already know cuz.

Hawaii is the most dangerous MWC team that BYU plays all year.

Hawaii run n shoot is a BYU killer.

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU is the most popular, most watched, most talked about team in the Intermountain West.

It's the most discussed team in 5 States.

The game on Saturday was life changing for many fans....  An all time classic.

This Saturday, tune your television set to ESPN2, 8:15 MDT, to watch another classic: BYU vs California.  Pregame will be presented by BYUtv.

#GoCougs

#BYUbeatBoise

Oh, Stunner... 

18 hours ago, Pelado said:

At halftime I was thinking that I wouldn't mind seeing true freshman Zach Wilson replace Tanner in the second half.  Then, in the third quarter, Tanner had 10 completions on 10 attempts for 104 yards and a touchdown (and just barely missed another passing TD when Holker stepped out of bounds just before the endzone).  BYU outscored Arizona 21-0 in the third, making me glad Tanner was in there.

That 3rd quarter was good (and he was also doing a nice job of getting the ball to his safety valve receivers before he got blown up at times).

It may be unfair, but I'm still not sold.  I think he'll have at least a couple of games where he really tanks (see BSU's Rypien last year!)...there's just something not quite "there" for Mangum.

19 hours ago, Warbow said:

He should have stayed in Hawaii then. Hawaii receivers are putting up great numbers right now. On 2nd thought, you can have him and 10 drops per season.

To be honest, McDonald probably would have had 600 yards passing if not for all the 'Bows drops against Navy...pretty sure I counted 4 or 5 straight up drops by Hawaii receivers just in the first half, so Collie would have fit right in.

I do hope BYU gets it turned around and is competitive again. I think they get to 6-6 this year but not any better because the offensive challenges of last year will start rearing their head again against competent defenses.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:16 AM, Lester_in_reno said:

QB Magnum will be 25 next week!   25 freaking years old and still playing in college.

and AZ was a 10.5 fave last night! WTF?

This is the real reason BYU will most likely not be invited to a power conference. 

On 9/3/2018 at 7:21 AM, Rev McQuervo said:

UofA looked horrible. Their QB thought he was the only player on the field.

^^This^^.

I'm not sure we learned much about BYU at all other than they can celebrate being 1-0 like they just won a NY6 bowl.

On the other hand, Arizona looked so awful there are hardly words. Tate needs to put down all the magazines he's on the cover of and start to get serious about how to do his part to make his team better. I really think the 'Cats only hope for "W's" this year is to win in shootout fashion because their defense is non-existent. I'm not sure they had a player in position to make a defensive stop all night.