Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest elefish92

can we get kicked out of the mountain west

On 8/31/2018 at 11:43 AM, wolfpack1 said:

They have shown in the past they can win with the major sports.

Have they?  Over the past 25 years they have won 36% of their football games with only 3 winning seasons and 32% of their basketball games with 2 winning seasons.  They have zero 20 win BB seasons over that time and only a single 10 win FB season and that was during the WAC's death-rattle.  

They're going on 3 decades of essentially no athletic success in the major sports.  There is no institutional commitment to even trying to compete at this level.  

1 hour ago, WAC_FAN said:

Didn't SJSU make certain promises to improve facilities as a way of getting into the MWC?   Why is no one trying to ask them what they are doing?  They should be making more money in the MWC than they did in the WAC.

I think everyone assumes that if SJSU drops football they would have a soft landing in the Big West for all-sports.  I'm not sure that's the case.  Their also terrible in the sports that the Big West cares about.  They may end up in the WAC again.

I don't think there is any landing for San Jose back in the BW now.   Simply too many members in California.   @CPslograd's Bakersfield birds might have taken San Jose's spot when they weaseled their way to a dual invite with UCSD.

The BW commissioner said two things: his vision was 10 California members (realized), and that any 12th member would have to be "compelling."  Taking on someone else's discarded trash is not compelling. 

At least Air Force enhances conference prestige as a service academy.

26 minutes ago, Bulldog Rob said:

Have they?  Over the past 25 years they have won 36% of their football games with only 3 winning seasons and 32% of their basketball games with 2 winning seasons.  They have zero 20 win BB seasons over that time and only a single 10 win FB season and that was during the WAC's death-rattle.  

They're going on 3 decades of essentially no athletic success in the major sports.  There is no institutional commitment to even trying to compete at this level.  

Before moving to MWC San Jose was doing pretty well in college baseball making it to the College World Series back in 2000 and making it to the regionals again in 2002. Since moving to the MWC they haven't been that great but last year they really improved moving on to where they have a nice jump off point for next year's team

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Before moving to MWC San Jose was doing pretty well in college baseball making it to the College World Series back in 2000 and making it to the regionals again in 2002. Since moving to the MWC they haven't been that great but last year they really improved moving on to where they have a nice jump off point for next year's team

No NCAA bids in basketball, and one season over .500 since 1996.  

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

No NCAA bids in basketball, and one season over .500 since 1996.  

Yeah but I never remember SJSU really being a basketball school. I remember them as a football and baseball school especially in the Big West time period. 

36 minutes ago, Bulldog Rob said:

umm..........

if you count 6-6 as winning seasons, which many people do now, since 1993 they have actually had 5 winning seasons for football. However early 90s and back they were pretty decent at football. I think some of their budget issues has hurt them

31 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

umm..........

if you count 6-6 as winning seasons, which many people do now, since 1993 they have actually had 5 winning seasons for football. However early 90s and back they were pretty decent at football. I think some of their budget issues has hurt them

How is a .500 season considered a “winning” season?

That sounds like “participation trophy” logic.

14 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

umm..........

Winning = more wins than losses.  But even if we include .500, it's still a miserable record.  In 13 of the past 25 seasons they have failed to get more than 3 wins and they look poised to do it again this year.  That means that more than half of the time they fail to get more than one or two FBS wins.  You can blame budgets but look at what Fresno St. and SDSU have done over that time working in the same University system.  There is simply no institutional desire to support athletics and three decades of losing have driven off what little fan base they had.  With no administrative support and no community support they are dead and never coming back.  

So let's help the severely challenged guy?

1. 6-6 = a winning season  - butonly for SJSU.

2. One season of making the College WS means SJSU has an awesome baseball program.

3. Because we're not sure the Big West would take SJSU back, let's allow them to stay in the MWC forever regardless of performance, facilities, et al.

Hey, I think we're ready to be Stuart Smalley to Ralph Wiggum!

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 08/31/2018 at 8:14 AM, elefish92 said:

Our administration doesn't care. They knew back in 2013 but was too busy funding money into social justice shit that no students absolutely care for. Now they're trying to make up 4 years of apathy and it's not working at all, it's making us worse than not caring to begin with.

I'm not sure what FBS Independent or FCS member would replace us, but at least I sure as hell would give our spot to someone else. We don't deserve it and these +++++ers need to learn their lesson. 

I've asked many students because of my former jobs and they would go to the games if we won consistently. The 2016-17 men's basketball team saw a 1,000 uprise in attendance because of beating SDSU, UNLV, UNM, WSU, etc. Win win win, it's that +++++ing simple. I'm not trying to sound like an Ohio State fan here though.

I seriously don't know the future of our athletics after our loss. Seriously, I don't.

You guys should follow the UC Davis model and move to the Big West & Big Sky, assuming they'd have you.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

10 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

If you are talking their entire football history their best record, as far as I could find right now, was 10-3 in 1998 when they lost to Georgia Southern in the playoffs. 

Next would be in 2003 when they were 9-3

Since 1995: 95 8-3; 97 7-4; 98 10-3;  02 6-6; 03 9-3; 04 8-4; 07 8-4; 08 8-5; 09 8-5; 2010 8-5

Just with those numbers UConn has had more winning seasons since 95 than SJSU and has been to a BCS bowl. I think SJSU fans would kill for that success. Hell I think some would sell their souls for just three straight seasons of 8-4

Prior to 2004 UCONN was a FCS school and I am not counting that part of their record. In 2004 they made the jump to FBS and the BIG EAST upon the encouragement of the BE. I have counted ONLY their FBS record. See the attached please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Connecticut_Huskies_football_seasons

Thanks

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

So let's help the severely challenged guy?

1. 6-6 = a winning season  - butonly for SJSU.

2. One season of making the College WS means SJSU has an awesome baseball program.

3. Because we're not sure the Big West would take SJSU back, let's allow them to stay in the MWC forever regardless of performance, facilities, et al.

Hey, I think we're ready to be Stuart Smalley to Ralph Wiggum!

Shhhh, he's trying to make them seem attractive to the Big West. If the Big West doesn't want them, they would honestly be a better fit with the CCAA. They could join their rivals SFSU and Cal State East Bay. 

On 8/31/2018 at 2:19 PM, #1Stunner said:

sjm-sjsuad-0520-06.jpg?w=620

I agree, neither one of the BFF's (President Papazian and AD Tuite) know what the hell they're doing. :friends: 

6 hours ago, bigd said:

Shhhh, he's trying to make them seem attractive to the Big West. If the Big West doesn't want them, they would honestly be a better fit with the CCAA. They could join their rivals SFSU and Cal State East Bay. 

That's the perfect conference for them IMO. Stanislaus State is a natural rival as well. 

5 hours ago, crixus said:

I agree, neither one of the BFF's (President Papazian and AD Tuite) know what the hell they're doing. :friends: 

Since she was named, I have questioned how President Papazian would look at SJSU athletics. Although all 3 of her degrees were earned at UCLA, her entire career as a professor and administrator has been at schools with Division 2 and Division 3 athletics.

SJSU is running out of time for Papazian to show she understands the difference of leading a school playing in FBS/D1 athletics vs D2/D3.

I see no problem with Papazian except that she hired a female athletic director. That would be fine at a non-FBS or maybe also a non-FCS school. However, call me a misogynist if you will but I can't remember even one FBS school at which the football program improved with a HC reporting directly to a woman. In fact, it's arguable that at most of them I can think of, football regressed after a woman AD was hired. So to me, having Tuite in charge of athletics is among the reasons there is virtually no hope for SJSU becoming adequate enough at that sport to remain in the MWC.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:02 AM, SDSUfan said:

Given current FBS conditions, what's the upside of continuing to try and build when the BEST you can hope for is competent mediocrity, like virtually all G5 programs?  Drop FB and try and find a home for BB.  The BW is bringing in Bako and UCSD. I think that leaves them at 11 so adding SJSU BB would give them a nice round 12 teams, whatever that's worth. The additional scholarships might give you a chance to have men's volleyball or track and field.

BTW: It's not just you. I watched UCONN get ass raped by UCF  last night in front of 10's of fans. They would be far better off quitting football and rejoining the BE.

UConn is a bad example, IMO. They had the highest revenue for any non power 5 school in 2017 and had 7 power 5 schools behind them. Any school in this conference wouldn’t be stoked to have that claim. 

They also have an $84 million dollar athletic budget and too notch facilities in most every sport. Football isn’t going anywhere in Stoors.

SJSU on the other hand....