Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

US & Mexico Reach Trade Deal

We'll see. Wouldn't be the first time this White House prematurely announces something that doesn't pan out.

The initial outline of changes I heard today on NPR would have as many drawbacks as advantages.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

This seems like another declare victory on NK Nukes moment......just a made for TV event where nothing actually happened.  I do like trying to push the minimum wage up in Mexico as that is good for both countries.  If they really wanted to get better they would let the USA trade unions expand to include Mexican membership.  

Posted Image

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

It doesn’t matter what the final agreement is or if/how it will benefit the US.  If Trump did it then it’s bad, bad, BAD!!!!

DiscreteCoarseDwarfrabbit-size_restricte

And vice versa for Trump fans.  The things he has not only done, but said, and received a pass, especially from the solid Christian base, is astonishing.  It's amazing what you will put up with when it's your guy or party.  Note, not you specifically, but those that support any particular candidate no matter what, left and right.  As far as any type of agreement, here was kind of my thought when i heard it today.  

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/trump-nafta-deal/index.html

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The lines have been drawn and everyone on this board knows what to expect when each voices an opinion. Rarely are there any surprises. 

There are often surprises. Kinda rich that you're one of the ones saying this....

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

15 hours ago, alum93 said:

And vice versa for Trump fans.  The things he has not only done, but said, and received a pass, especially from the solid Christian base, is astonishing.  It's amazing what you will put up with when it's your guy or party.  Note, not you specifically, but those that support any particular candidate no matter what, left and right.  As far as any type of agreement, here was kind of my thought when i heard it today.  

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/trump-nafta-deal/index.html

I disagree. There are very few people who don’t acknowledge that Trump is a flawed person if not clownish. The only thing he has going for him is that he’s a problem solver. Despite all the many naysayers, he’s been able to shepherd the stagnant economy into a boom. Many have criticized his tactics but things chug along merrily. There are record revenues from both a state and federal level, which would easily make up for the tax cuts if you didn’t spend it. If you can’t acknowledge that.....

21 hours ago, pokerider said:

Oh, more great economic news to sweep under the rug.  

Sounds like good news for Mexico in regards to the auto industry.  75% of parts manufactured for cars sold in North America have to be made in either US or Mexico.  This is an increase from the previous 62%.  Mexico already has the infrastructure and has been manufacturing parts for many years.  Even with increasing workers wages to a minimum $16 isn't going to help move production back to the US.  Mexico doesn't have the regulations or unions to contend with that are found in the US.  

I would like to read the complete agreement.  Does anyone have a link?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/08/27/trump-mexico-deal-nafta-bad-trade-editorials-debates/1114349002/

n the United States, it does not appear that Trump could withdraw unilaterally. Congress enacted NAFTA and would surely want to be part of the discussion to withdraw from it. If it rolled over, as it has done often when faced with demands by Trump, any member could file a suit and would stand a decent chance of winning, given that the Constitution gives Congress the authority to “regulate commerce with foreign nations.”

To actually replace NAFTA, Trump would have to complete an actual replacement deal — not a partial deal with one country — in the next three months or start over with a new leftist government in Mexico. He would then have to persuade Congress to withdraw from NAFTA and approve the NAFTA replacement measure. Good luck with that.

In many respects, Monday’s announcement is like Trump’s summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. Both came amid much fanfare and bluster — and premature declarations of success. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I disagree. There are very few people who don’t acknowledge that Trump is a flawed person if not clownish. The only thing he has going for him is that he’s a problem solver. Despite all the many naysayers, he’s been able to shepherd the stagnant economy into a boom. Many have criticized his tactics but things chug along merrily. There are record revenues from both a state and federal level, which would easily make up for the tax cuts if you didn’t spend it. If you can’t acknowledge that.....

Record revenues but with deficits increasing even faster. 

This “deal” with Mexico will be for auto workers what the tariffs have been for soybean farmers. 

16 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

This “deal” with Mexico will be for auto workers what the tariffs have been for soybean farmers. 

A source of increased government welfare? 

33 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

A source of increased government welfare? 

Yeap. The first $4.7B just went out to the soybean farmers. More than $10B more to follow. Thanks Trump.

20 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Yeap. The first $4.7B just went out to the soybean farmers. More than $10B more to follow. Thanks Trump.

Is some of that at least going to the almond farmers? my local businesses could use a stimulus as well.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

22 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Shh.  As long as no one mentions deficits we are doing GREAT.  Just look at the DOW.  Sure there is a huge crash coming and we have no way to pay for SS, Medicare, our military.  But that's for someone else to solve.  For now, just project that all is well.  Caring about the long term success of our country and citizens is for losers.  Short term is all that matters.  

37 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

That's a lot of money for just soybean farmers in the MidWest.  They are the lucky ones because their crops are early season harvested.  The farmers up in the NW will start sweating once they hear that amount of money already given out since a lot of the NW wheat crops are just now getting harvested.

23 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

We'll see. Wouldn't be the first time this White House prematurely announces something that doesn't pan out.

The initial outline of changes I heard today on NPR would have as many drawbacks as advantages.

It is a deal.

I'm curious if Canada plugs in

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Trump reminds me a lot of Tim Tebow.  He screws up the entire game and season and puts his team in a huge hole.  Should he manage to turn and hand the ball off without fumbling it, though, his supporters will proclaim it is proof that he a football genius with all of these intangibles that nobody has ever seen.  Had he been even a slightly competent game manager quarterback, his team would have been up by two touchdowns and he would not need to do all these "stable genius" heroics just to fix problems he caused.

Any disembodied hand of a Republican president could have signed a tax cut and picked from a list of Supreme court nominees.  Trumps biggest strength is the ability to hoodwink dopey people to think he is a huge success if they just buy his snake oil.  

Posted Image

So is this how Mexico is paying for the wall?

Looks like this good be good for the auto industry. I'd like to see more details on what was agreed to. Everything I've read has been really short on details.

At any rate, this is progress and good for Trump in getting it done! (I can praise the idiot when he does something right).