Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

RPI Is Dead...

15 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Looks like they figured out a way to screw non power conferences even more. This way won't have to defend picking a 15-15 acc team over 25-5 MWC team.

With the margin of victory coming into play you're going to see power schools schedule down and run up the score.

3 minutes ago, rudolro said:

Looks like they figured out a way to screw non power conferences even more. This way won't have to defend picking a 15-15 acc team over 25-5 MWC team.

With the margin of victory coming into play you're going to see power schools schedule down and run up the score.

So much for sportsmanship and bleeding the clock at the end of a non-competitive game.

so much for walk-on's getting PT and the end of games

Hooray for dickheads launching meaningless 3's, trash talk and the end of post game handshakes.

Phuck the NCAA

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 minutes ago, rudolro said:

Margin of victory is capped at 10 points. 

I don’t see how this move screws non power teams. 

8 minutes ago, rudolro said:

In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain.

3 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

So much for sportsmanship and bleeding the clock at the end of a non-competitive game.

Hooray for dickheads launching meaningless 3's, trash talk and the end of post game handshakes.

Phuck the NCAA

The reliance on RPI was the subject of much criticism over the years. How is moving to a different metric bad news?

10 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

The reliance on RPI was the subject of much criticism over the years. How is moving to a different metric bad news?

didn't say it was. Not a fan of margin of victory, but reading subsequent posts it seems they've considered my concerns.

Truth be known, not a fan of RPI, particularly as it relates to conference RPI . Reliance on it IMO FAVORS P5 conferences and gives their bottom dwellers an additional leg up on winning teams from smaller conferences.

I take back my "phuck"

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I hated RPI it gave to much power to the power 5s in my opinion and let teams game the system. Will have to see first few rankings in when they come in December but I think this is a positive.

side note, 10 points capped for margin of victory is to low imo. To easy for a close game in the last minute or 2 to reach a 10 point victory with fouling or a garbage 3. 15 should have been the cap at a minimum if you’re going to cap margin of victory 

Just now, Jaredcg said:

I hated RPI it gave to much power to the power 5s in my opinion and let teams game the system. Will have to see first few rankings in when they come in December but I think this is a positive.

side note, 10 points capped for margin of victory is to low imo. To easy for a close game in the last minute or 2 to reach a 10 point victory with fouling or a garbage 3. 15 should have been the cap at a minimum if you’re going to cap margin of victory 

I felt like a bunch of teams here gamed it in 2013.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just now, blind_squirrel54 said:

Most definitely. Non P5s figured out how to game the RPI, too. 

I hate the concept of a "good loss".  

I mean, you get more credit for losing to Duke than you do for beating some mid tier bball team like Stanford?  That seems stupid to me.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

didn't say it was. Not a fan of margin of victory, but reading subsequent posts it seems they've considered my concerns.

Truth be known, not a fan of RPI, particularly as it relates to conference RPI . Reliance on it IMO FAVORS P5 conferences and gives their bottom dwellers an additional leg up on winning teams from smaller conferences.

I take back my "phuck"

My bad. I no read good. 

44 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I hate the concept of a "good loss".  

I mean, you get more credit for losing to Duke than you do for beating some mid tier bball team like Stanford?  That seems stupid to me.

I wonder how this impacts conferences with really bad bottom tier teams? No names mentioned.B)

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Phuck the NCAA

Imagine if they did that for FB with no cap. Alabama would score 130 on some bad FCS teams.

kat.jpg