Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

New NFL kickoff rule

Watching a little NFL pre-season, I really like the thought that has gone into the new kick off rules.

Looks like it might be more exciting and safer. Certainly a lot better than doing away with the KO altogether. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933891/article/owners-approve-changes-to-kickoff-use-of-helmet

Some key takeaways for the new kickoff guidelines:

1. Players on the kicking team cannot line up more than one yard from the point of the kickoff. The previous rule allowed players to line up five yards from the restraining line (typically 35-yard line), allowing them to have more of a running start before the kick.

2. The wedge block has been eliminated. Only players who line up in the setup zone (between their own 40 and opponents' 45-yard line) can put together double-team blocks.

3. Until the ball is touched or hits the ground, no player on the receiving team may cross the restraining line (typically its 45) or initiate a block. This forces blockers on the receiving team to run back and block, which greatly decreases the chance of an "attack" block that can result in a high-speed collision.

4. When the ball hits the end zone, it's immediately ruled a touchback. There is no need for a player to down the ball in the end zone to initiate a touchback.

35 minutes ago, TRVIT said:

I run that shit out on Madden 

They need to add "Concussion Protocol" to Madden -- your version specifically!  By the time you're still playing your Madden NFL 19 in 2022 as an example, all of your special team players will be...well, "special"! 

4 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

They need to add "Concussion Protocol" to Madden -- your version specifically!  By the time you're still playing your Madden NFL 19 in 2022 as an example, all of your special team players will be...well, "special"! 

We good mane, its impossible to get helmets to helmet hits in this game lol 

Related image

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m not sure I like the helmet down tackling penalty. Although it is promoting safety, in some cases it is very subjective to enforce. 

This new rule applies to offensive players as well. A running back who lowers his helmet is subject to a personal foul.

I agree that these new rules are better than taking the kickoff out of the game altogether. But I will miss the wedge block. 

See the source image

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m not sure I like the helmet down tackling penalty. Although it is promoting safety, in some cases it is very subjective to enforce. 

NFL is saying its going to take about three seasons before its fully enforced.