Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeremymauss

Hot seat/Mountain West coach rankings

Retro, you aren't in Albuquerque right now. Unless Coach Davie just craters, there is no money to replace him. I'm not going to go over the drama of the last week at UNM, but it was significant. 

What you're more likely to see is a deemphasis of football at UNM, cutting assistant coaches and maybe some scholarships. That will, of course, drive Davie off, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Fortunately, four of the first five are winnable, the NMSU game is key locally, but they're rebuilding. 

Conference schedule is against him, but if he can just win what he's supposed to and they can find a solid QB, Lobos are probably okay.

3 minutes ago, jdw said:

Retro, you aren't in Albuquerque right now. Unless Coach Davie just craters, there is no money to replace him. I'm not going to go over the drama of the last week at UNM, but it was significant. 

What you're more likely to see is a deemphasis of football at UNM, cutting assistant coaches and maybe some scholarships. That will, of course, drive Davie off, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Fortunately, four of the first five are winnable, the NMSU game is key locally, but they're rebuilding. 

Conference schedule is against him, but if he can just win what he's supposed to and they can find a solid QB, Lobos are probably okay.

I haven't followed all of the drama around UNM football, but damn, they might de-emphasis football?  That would be a back look for UNM and the MW.  

I actually think it unlikely, but I throw it out as a possibility because the Social Justice Warriors are now involved . ( I don't actually mean that to disparage SJW's, but it, in this case is accurate). Legislators I've spoken with saaaaaayyy that they're going to help during the next session in January, but I haven't heard leadership whisper a word. 

Cutting Men's Soccer is a real hot button here right now. More importantly Title IX has come front and center. The Women's VB team is suing the U for non-compliance, and they aren't wrong. The numbers aren't even close. 

I have no idea what's actually going to happen, but just wait. Unless the G5 business model changes soon, some of you will probably see this drama up-close and personal. 

Edit: Some background for those who don't want to go look. BoR approved cutting Men's Soccer, Women's Beach VB, Women's Diving, Men's and Women's Skiiling and cutting Men's Track and Cross Country roughly in half. AG found UNM in violation of Open Meetings Act in that action and they had to do it all over again Friday. This time there was a long meeting with lots of public comment. BoR nevertheless voted to kill off the sports with the exception of Women's Diving (which didn't make any sense anyway). There is some serious heat boiling now. UNM's best hope is that Football is competent (Boise Fresno or SDSU going to the Access wouldn't hurt either.)

17 minutes ago, jdw said:

UNM is not going to deemphasize football.  Lol...how in the world did you come up with that?

2 minutes ago, stchas said:

UNM is not going to deemphasize football.  Lol...how in the world did you come up with that?

stchas, I'm from the South. Three of the 10 Senators and Reps I've talked to in the last 72 hours asked me just that question. I don't think it will happen, but there are some people who don't pay attention that wonder why at least some of the FB budget wasn't on the table.

12 minutes ago, jdw said:

I actually think it unlikely, but I throw it out as a possibility because the Social Justice Warriors are now involved . ( I don't actually mean that to disparage SJW's, but it, in this case is accurate). Legislators I've spoken with saaaaaayyy that they're going to help during the next session in January, but I haven't heard leadership whisper a word. 

Cutting Men's Soccer is a real hot button here right now. More importantly Title IX has come front and center. The Women's VB team is suing the U for non-compliance, and they aren't wrong. The numbers aren't even close. 

I have no idea what's actually going to happen, but just wait. Unless the G5 business model changes soon, some of you will probably see this drama up-close and personal. 

Edit: Some background for those who don't want to go look. BoR approved cutting Men's Soccer, Women's Beach VB, Women's Diving, Men's and Women's Skiiling and cutting Men's Track and Cross Country roughly in half. AG found UNM in violation of Open Meetings Act in that action and they had to do it all over again Friday. This time there was a long meeting with lots of public comment. BoR nevertheless voted to kill off the sports with the exception of Women's Diving (which didn't make any sense anyway). There is some serious heat boiling now. UNM's best hope is that Football is competent (Boise Fresno or SDSU going to the Access wouldn't hurt either.)

And how do you know "they aren't wrong"?    I'm pretty certain that Nunez and the UNM lawyers know a bit more about it than you do.  

4 minutes ago, jdw said:

stchas, I'm from the South. Three of the 10 Senators and Reps I've talked to in the last 72 hours asked me just that question. I don't think it will happen, but there are some people who don't pay attention that wonder why at least some of the FB budget wasn't on the table.

Then why make that statement?  I hate that the sports were cut, but UNM can't sustain this current model.  Why carry 22 sports when the MWC average is 18-19 sports?  Some legislators, Mayor Keller, and the public pleaded with President Stokes and the Regents to wait four months , when the legislature convenes, to see if the legislature could come up with the reoccurring  dollars.  As Regent Clifford and Regent Guillen stated, "that money may not come through".  

Here: https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/unm-university-of-new-mexico-title-ix-mandates/4931035/

TLDR: Women at UNM represent 55% of the undergraduate body, the AD has a 44% participation rate. Both Nunez and the President say there's a problem that they have to solve.

stchas, I'm a fan, but I'm a fan who's watched UNM screw up the Athletic Department for the last 40 years. I really, really hope current leadership finally gets it right. 

The funny thing is, you can point at one item that actually made the biggest difference, the 60-million dollar Pit renovation. The debt service on that might actually put the AD in the black if it didn't exist. That said, let's let this go back to topic and hide and watch.

4 minutes ago, jdw said:

The funny thing is, you can point at one item that actually made the biggest difference, the 60-million dollar Pit renovation. The debt service on that might actually put the AD in the black if it didn't exist. That said, let's let this go back to topic and hide and watch.

I have followed this closely.  I attended the regents meeting on Friday.  I can tell that you really aren't completely up to snuff on the issue.  The Women's VB team cited an old case at some eastern college about getting to Title Nine compliance by using roster management.  Nunes is using a combination of roster management and team cutting to move toward compliance.  All he has to do is to show progress to satisfy the Feds.  I'm sure that UNM will do a better job from now on to ensure that they are moving toward equity.

Rolo isn’t and shouldn’t be that high on the hot seat this year, at least lower than Sanchez.

Rolo had 1 bowl season that he won in 2016, along with 1 bad season where everything just blew up at once midway through the season in 2017. He’s not  on the hot seat/likely to get fired list until 2019. This upcoming season (2018) is a "as long as the team looks better than 2017" year. Since Rolo's contract is up in 2020, going by our HC history (regardless of sport), you either get fired the season before your lame duck year or you have a contract extension as a result of a winning product.

5 hours ago, jeremymauss said:

OK, this is all me so yell at the rooftops about how terrible this list was, and if you like it throw me a virtual high five. The list is ranking the coaches plus a few notes on why some could be fired (hint: only two IMO are in the running to lose their job).

Here is the link for explanations of why each were placed in their spots..

12. Brent Brennan, San Jose State

11. Bob Davie, New Mexico

10. Nick Rolovich, Hawaii

9. Jay Norvell, Nevada

8. Tony Sanchez, UNLV

7. Mike Bobo, Colorado State

6. Matt Wells, Utah State

5. Troy Calhoun, Air Force

4. Craig Bohl, Wyoming

3. Jeff Tedford, Fresno State

2. Bryan Harsin, Boise State

1. Rocky Long, San Diego State

I skipped reading the linked article because the above list just looked like it was projecting that the coaches of the teams that are projected to win the fewest games are going to be the coaches struggling most to keep their jobs...

Standard media projections for this season's MWC win totals:

San Jose State    0-8     1-11
New Mexico         1-7     3-9
Hawaii                  1-7     3-10
Nevada                 4-4     5-7
Air Force              4-4     5-7
UNLV                   4-4     6-6
Colorado State    5-3     6-6
Wyoming             5-3     7-5
Utah State           5-3     8-4
Fresno State       6-2     8-4
San Diego State 6-2     8-5
Boise State         7-1     11-2

Was I wrong to skip the article?  Is there some insight other than win totals that went into the projection?

6 hours ago, TRVIT said:

Realistically I think only Davie seat is warm 

Pretty much anywhere else Brennan would also be on the hot seat. However, SJSU is in such dire straits financially that my guess is only a player revolt or a moral turpitude offense or a winless season will result in him being shown the door. If one of those three eventualities occurs and Brennan IS fired, look for SJSU's president to replace him with somebody totally unqualified who would be willing to work for 300 grand or so. So doing would be a can't-lose proposition in that it would either make her a risk-taking heroine or allow her to seriously advocate shuttering the program.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Pretty much anywhere else Brennan would also be on the hot seat. However, SJSU is in such dire straits financially that my guess is only a player revolt or a moral turpitude offense or a winless season will result in him being shown the door. If one of those three eventualities occurs and Brennan IS fired, look for SJSU's president to hire somebody totally unqualified who would be willing to work for 300 grand or so. That would be a can't-lose proposition which would either make her a risk taking hero or allow her to advocate shuttering the program.

Or maybe it would finally put the wheels in motion towards SJSU leaving the MWC and dropping football or joining the Big Sky. 

15 minutes ago, WilliamHicks said:

If BSU doesn't beat Troy by at least 28 points, Im pretty sure that Bronco Country will have Harsin on their hotseat list.  

He’s already on the hot seat because he’s a horrible coach that could only manage one fiesta bowl win in four years. #fireharsin

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

5 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Lobo fans, what does Davie have to do to keep his job?  It just seems like he is going to be gone no matter what, unless he can win the SEC Mountain

He needs to find a way to get people in the stands.  Lobos fans are apathetic when it comes to FB unless they are winning.  It's fairly simple IMO, win and get some butts in the seats.  He has a tall hill to climb but if the new OC from Arizona gets the O on track it may give him another year.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

8 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I agree.  UNLV has to beat Prairie View, Ark St, and probably UTEP to not lose some of the more casual fans.  Sanchez really needs to beat Reno too I would think.  That loss last year had to a be a gut punch.  Bowl eligibility and beating your rival, right in front of you and you lose to a 2-9 team at the time.  He can't have any happen like that again.  

Beating Arkansas State would be a decent sized upset. They are a dark horse Access Bowl team. 

To repeat what I posted last season...Brennan was a bad hire by San Jose State. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

He’s already on the hot seat because he’s a horrible coach that could only manage one fiesta bowl win in four years. #fireharsin

Agreed. He's only won conference championships in half of his seasons in Boise. He's garbage.