Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Nevada Football

Whatever happened to Nevada football since the Big West days? I remember them giving Boise State a beating and questioning why Boise State was even allowed into the Big West. The following year Boise State thumped the Pack and they haven’t been the same since. Their attendance seemed like it was better in the 1-AA Big Sky years than it is now. Whats the story Pack fans? 

We had a pretty solid run in the WAC, but it essentially comes down to the fact that no coach has had success here in the modern era outside of Ault. I like Norvell a lot, and am hoping he can end that trend. 

However, losing at home to Idaho State killed our attendance, although we started to play much better at the end of the year. I think we have a decent chance of ending up 6-6 and making a bowl this year. 

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Whatever happened to Nevada football since the Big West days? I remember them giving Boise State a beating and questioning why Boise State was even allowed into the Big West. The following year Boise State thumped the Pack and they haven’t been the same since. Their attendance seemed like it was better in the 1-AA Big Sky years than it is now. Whats the story Pack fans? 

Revisionist history. That was said when UNR was in the Big West and Boise was still 1-AA... and that was not an insult. Playing a lower division team should be frowned upon. I believe UN-Reno always supported Boise's move to the Big West. 

2 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Revisionist history. That was said when UNR was in the Big West and Boise was still 1-AA... and that was not an insult. Playing a lower division team should be frowned upon. I believe UN-Reno always supported Boise's move to the Big West. 

Its still a funny quote, particularly looking at what's happened to the programs in hindsight. 

Boise and Nevada grew up together, and are similar in a lot ways. Its a shame that we only get you at home every 4 years now, hopefully our offense is good enough to actually make it a competitive game this season. Sadly, there may be more Boise than Nevada fans in attendance.

"It all went downhill when Ault chose the wrong side of athletics"

agree- Chris Ault initially  built them up with sheer will and defiance, when he stepped down to be the AD and they took a hit with Chris Tormey at HC .

Then when Ault retired they took another hit with Cary Groths' goofy hiring of Brian Polian-dog based totally  on his last name and his father Bill. and it would have been nice to have a mega-donor like JR Simplott. To take the program  over the hump.

but I like current coach Norvell and maybe he can bring them back from meh-mediocrity.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

27 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

agree- Chris Ault initially  built them up with sheer will and defiance, when he stepped down to be the AD and they took a hit with Chris Tormey at HC .

Then when Ault retired they took another hit with Cary Groths' goofy hiring of Brian Polian-dog based totally  on his last name and his father Bill. and it would have been nice to have a mega-donor like JR Simplott. To take the program  over the hump.

but I like current coach Norvell and maybe he can bring them back from meh-mediocrity.

Tormey? It was Tisdel who screwed the program. 

37 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

JR was a very big donor for the school, not nearly as much for the Athletic Department. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

45 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

maybe, but i wasn't around here then.

but I will never forget seeing Tormey walk off the Mackay field after La Tech, (Luke McCown at QB), scored 3 long bomb TD's in about 6 minutes in the 4th to beat his team.

The look on his place was priceless -- like he wanted to commit capital murder and cry at the same time.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

31 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

but I will never forget seeing Tormey walk off the Mackay field after La Tech, (Luke McCown at QB), scored 3 long bomb TD's in about 6 minutes in the 4th to beat his team.

The look on his place was priceless -- like he wanted to commit capital murder and cry at the same time.

Yeah, it was Tisdel that sank the boat first....then Ault fixed it before hiring Tormey to sink it again. Ault was a great coach, but horrible at hiring a football coach. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Come on man.... they both destroyed the program. The rash of arrests and the failure to beat UNLV during the Tormey era torpedo a bunch of season ticket holders.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

57 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Yeah, it was Tisdel that sank the boat first....then Ault fixed it before hiring Tormey to sink it again. Ault was a great coach, but horrible at hiring a football coach. 

No. It went Ault, Horton, Ault, Tisdel, Tormey, Ault, Polian, Norvell. 

Of all those coaches, Tormey inherited the worst team.  Look, he was average at best and recruited thugs. I’m not — defending him but that’s the truth. 

8 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Come on man.... they both destroyed the program. The rash of arrests and the failure to beat UNLV during the Tormey era torpedo a bunch of season ticket holders.

Failure to beat Vegas yes.  But Vegas under Robinson? Those teams weren’t as pathetic as a standard Vegas football team. 

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Tormey’s teams were solid in the first half of a game. Sucked in the second half. I remember a chitty Rice team doing the same. 

But I was at the UW Husky game. The minute they knew their team sucked arse and would for the next decade. That was fun. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

No. It went Ault, Horton, Ault, Tisdel, Tormey, Ault, Polian, Norvell. 

Of all those coaches, Tormey inherited the worst team.  Look, he was average at best and recruited thugs. I’m not — defending him but that’s the truth. 

Horton may have bit it on the final play of his final game, but he didn't ruin the program in one year....though his defection with all the coaches and some players did hurt. Tisdel was handed one of the best teams Nevada ever had and the wheels fell off. I wouldn't put Horton in the same category as Tis & Tormey.

So, does this mean that there won't be high attendance when Boise comes to town?  What if there is no one there to push me down the stairs????

down in a hole.jpg

2 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

So, does this mean that there won't be high attendance when Boise comes to town?  What if there is no one there to push me down the stairs????

A) Boise will likely bring more fans than Nevada fans if OOC doesn’t go well or we tank the Fresno game. 

B.) Intro to Grandma Shoving is part of student orientation 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ0wD-T1KV-hxW1fPo9sT

5 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

A) Boise will likely bring more fans than Nevada fans if OOC doesn’t go well or we tank the Fresno game. 

B.) Intro to Grandma Shoving is part of student orientation 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ0wD-T1KV-hxW1fPo9sT

Oh, good!!  I was really worried.  Just an FYI, make sure I'm not holding my 3 year old grandson's hand.  If so, his Mom - a Marine, will go full out Marine!!!  That doesn't even include the middle of the night visit you'll get from Spec Ops Dad!!!

down in a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Failure to beat Vegas yes.  But Vegas under Robinson? Those teams weren’t as pathetic as a standard Vegas football team. 

Remember when Tormey's prized Nebraska transfer was chased down from behind by RPD during a botched bank robbery? We were told that kid ran a 4.4 as a Husker. :shrug:

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

But I was at the UW Husky game. The minute they knew their team sucked arse and would for the next decade. That was fun. 

That is the game Jorge Cordova almost single handily won on his own. He was a monster.