Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

Money Magazine's Best Colleges 2018 Rankings

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

And I'm saying they can't. Those schools don't have the resources, the faculty or the quantity of smart, highly motivated students. A 1500 SAT kid might be able to wring the most out of LBSU, but Chicago simply has a world of resources for him to take advantage of that LBSU doesn't. 

And how many 1500 SAT students are even considering a Cal State school in the first place when that kind of score would make any UC campus including Berkeley practically free. 

What I've always found amusing here is that people will talk academic smack towards Boise or Fresno or UNLV and then turn around and argue that there's no difference between their school and schools higher up the food chain. 

What you major in matters too. I've worked with engineers from a lot of different universities and the only standouts I've really noticed are that South Dakota School of Mines alums. If you're ABET accredited, your undergrad coursework is going to be substantially similar to anywhere else's. Lots of people with Bachelor's and Master's on here, very few with PhDs. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 hours ago, creeper86 said:

BW? laughable....where's the Pac rank?

There is a top tier but the Pac 12 does not do as well as the Big West under this methodology.

Although I do like their results with the Bruins above Stanford and Cal ...

4. UCLA

5. Stanford

7. Cal

19. Washington

113. USC 

115. Arizona State

149. Washington State

203. Utah

309. Arizona

312. Oregon State

434. Oregon

451  Colorado

6 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Which is still bizarre.  I know a lot of Chicago undergrads go on to get doctorates and go into academia but still?  And that doesn't explain the Chico>>Cornell & Northwestern.  Send a kid to Long Beach and another to Chicago, and I'm pretty sure on whom I'm betting to be ahead twenty years down the road.

Three friends graduated from U$C about the same time as I graduated from SDSU, 1981. My tuition was probably 10% of theirs yet I've earned much more money in my career.

I'm not saying my situation is typical but it's a fact and says a lot about what one can do with a degree from what you apparently consider to be a lowly Cal State U campus.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 hours ago, creeper86 said:

BW? laughable....where's the Pac rank?

kinda hard to beat 2 and 3

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

32 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Three friends graduated from U$C about the same time as I graduated from SDSU, 1981. My tuition was probably 10% of theirs yet I've earned much more money in my career.

I'm not saying my situation is typical but it's a fact and says a lot about what one can do with a degree from what you apparently consider to be a lowly Cal State U campus.

Yea, but what kind of car do you drive?

5 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

A Cavalier. It's a....uhh...red Cavalier.

Depending on its age and mileage, it could easily have a similar value to my BMW. creeper is forever criticizing me for being some kind of uppity rich guy. However, although I'm secure financially, I'm not rich and particularly given the cost of living anywhere near the ocean in California, our family's financial circumstances are nothing more than upper middle class. Of course, that could still be massively better than creeper's situation but as long as he's happy as a pig in slop, that's what counts.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 hours ago, battle.borne said:

Top 465 aka Harvard of the West. #Flagship

Is Nevada the "Harvard of the Truckee Meadows" or is Harvard "The Nevada on The Charles?"

Roll-Safe-Think-About-It.jpg

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

22 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

LOL, careful with that statement.

The Big West dominates almost all leagues when using this ranking:

2. UC San Diego
3. UC Irvine
11. UC Davis
22. Long Beach State
32. UC Riverside
38. UC Santa Barbara
64. Cal Poly SLO
84. CSU Fullerton
89. CSU Northridge

Nine top-100 schools, six top-50.  If only the RPIs were like that...

17 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

A Cavalier. It's a....uhh...red Cavalier.

I see your Cavalier and raise you a blue Civic

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.