Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

Money Magazine's Best Colleges 2018 Rankings

Money Magazine released its college rankings today. 727 universities and colleges were ranked.

Its overall ranking is called "Best Colleges For Your Money 2018" using a mix of factors to represent, as the magazine says, "educational quality, affordability, and alumni success".

Like all rankings, the mix of factors and weighting will influence the results.

In this case, Money used

• Quality of education (1/3 of weighting) - includes Six-year graduation rate; student-to-faculty ratio; standardized test scores of entering freshman; etc.
  • Affordability (1/3 of weighting) - includes Net price of a degree; average student debt; etc.
  • Outcomes (1/3 of weighting) - includes Graduates’ earnings; Socio-economic mobility; job meaning; etc.

Full methodology at: http://time.com/money/5362601/how-money-ranks-best-colleges-2018/

The full ranking of 727 schools is at: http://time.com/money/best-colleges/

MWC school national rankings:

61. San Jose State
66. Fresno State
79. San Diego State
310. Colorado State
349. Wyoming
465. Nevada
520. Hawaii

Not ranked:
Air Force
Boise State
New Mexico
UNLV
Utah State

30 minutes ago, creeper86 said:

F’N SAN and sh*t!!

We need outta this crap conference!!

LOL, careful with that statement.

The Big West dominates almost all leagues when using this ranking:

2. UC San Diego
3. UC Irvine
11. UC Davis
22. Long Beach State
32. UC Riverside
38. UC Santa Barbara
64. Cal Poly SLO
84. CSU Fullerton
89. CSU Northridge

2 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

LOL, careful with that statement.

The Big West dominates almost all leagues when using this ranking:

2. UC San Diego
3. UC Irvine
11. UC Davis
22. Long Beach State
32. UC Riverside
38. UC Santa Barbara
64. Cal Poly SLO
84. CSU Fullerton
89. CSU Northridge

BW? laughable....where's the Pac rank?

44 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Clemson better than Minnesota?

Chico State better than Northwestern or Cornell?

Long Beach better than freakin' Chicago?

giphy.gif

The ranking is based on bang for your buck, not straight academic rankings.

14 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

The ranking is based on bang for your buck, not straight academic rankings.

Which is still bizarre.  I know a lot of Chicago undergrads go on to get doctorates and go into academia but still?  And that doesn't explain the Chico>>Cornell & Northwestern.  Send a kid to Long Beach and another to Chicago, and I'm pretty sure on whom I'm betting to be ahead twenty years down the road.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

15 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Which is still bizarre.  I know a lot of Chicago undergrads go on to get doctorates and go into academia but still?  And that doesn't explain the Chico>>Cornell & Northwestern.  Send a kid to Long Beach and another to Chicago, and I'm pretty sure on whom I'm betting to be ahead twenty years down the road.

Did you take the time to read through this part of the article?

A total of 727 schools met these requirements. We ranked them on 26 factors in three categories:

17 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Whatever. They’re rankings and ultimately meaningless. The reason you’d put your money on the kid who goes to Chicago is because the strict admission requirements mean Chicago is already getting the cream of the high school crop. It’s a safer bet, regardless of the education received. They also get plugged into Chicago’s alumni network, which admittedly is an advantage. But it doesn’t mean Long Beach doesn’t offer a similarly world-class undergraduate education to a motivated student.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Whatever. They’re rankings and ultimately meaningless. The reason you’d put your money on the kid who goes to Chicago is because the strict admission requirements mean Chicago is already getting the cream of the high school crop. It’s a safer bet, regardless of the education received. They also get plugged into Chicago’s alumni network, which admittedly is an advantage. But it doesn’t mean Long Beach doesn’t offer an similarly world-class undergraduate education to a motivated student.

I agree with you on everything except the last sentence.  I'd also add that the Chicago name is going to open a lot more doors both in terms of grad/professional schools and blue chip employment opportunities.  As for a similar world-class education?  No.  You really can't compare sitting in a classroom surrounded by a room full of competitive kids with 1500 SATs being taught by professors who are among the most respected in the world with what you're going to get at LBSU.  That being said, you can get a good education at LBSU and one that will serve you well.  And LBSU (and the rest of the Cal State system) have a fundamentally different mission that includes being engines of economic opportunity for kids who may not grow up with every advantage.  It's a mission that I consider every bit as important to society as those of more selective and prestigious colleges. 

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Clemson better than Minnesota?

Chico State better than Northwestern or Cornell?

Long Beach better than freakin' Chicago?

giphy.gif

Clemson is at least in a similar ballpark as Minnesota, ~50-60s range vs ~30 instead of what, 500s range vs top 20?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

I agree with you on everything except the last sentence.  I'd also add that the Chicago name is going to open a lot more doors both in terms of grad/professional schools and blue chip employment opportunities.  As for a similar world-class education?  No.  You really can't compare sitting in a classroom surrounded by a room full of competitive kids with 1500 SATs being taught by professors who are among the most respected in the world with what you're going to get at LBSU.  That being said, you can get a good education at LBSU and one that will serve you well.  And LBSU (and the rest of the Cal State system) have a fundamentally different mission that includes being engines of economic opportunity for kids who may not grow up with every advantage.  It's a mission that I consider every bit as important to society as those of more selective and prestigious colleges. 

Remind me to tell Warren Buffet that he would’ve been more successful had he gone to Chicago. With some notable, specialized exceptions, undergraduate educations are similar. The most respected professors in the world are typically respected for the quality of their research, not necessarily the quality of their teaching. 

23 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Remind me to tell Warren Buffet that he would’ve been more successful had he gone to Chicago. With some notable, specialized exceptions, undergraduate educations are similar. The most respected professors in the world are typically respected for the quality of their research, not necessarily the quality of their teaching. 

That's a straw man argument.  Almost every school has some highly successful alumni.  What matters is how many and how the average mass of alumni make out.  Johnny Carson also went to Nebraska.  That doesn't mean that the average Nebraska student has the same quality of faculty, the same level of competition from other students and the same opportunities at graduation as the average Michigan student.  And I'm not blind to the fact that this can, to an extent, be driven by where they grew up and who their families are (SEE: Santa Clara) as much as how bright they are or how good the school is.  Although in Chicago's defense, they don't use legacy or development (i.e. Daddy's a billionaire or a Senator) in admissions decisions.  That's not to say that their kids aren't coming from top high schools, affluent families and have all the AP classes and test prep money can buy.  But if you really think that everything from Astronomy to Zoology is all taught at the same speed and in the same way to a classroom full of 1000 SAT kids as it is to a classroom full of 1300 SAT kids as it is to a classroom full  of 1500 SAT kids, you're greatly mistaken.

SteelCityBlue

36 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

That's a straw man argument.  Almost every school has some highly successful alumni.  What matters is how many and how the average mass of alumni make out.  Johnny Carson also went to Nebraska.  That doesn't mean that the average Nebraska student has the same quality of faculty, the same level of competition from other students and the same opportunities at graduation as the average Michigan student.  And I'm not blind to the fact that this can, to an extent, be driven by where they grew up and who their families are (SEE: Santa Clara) as much as how bright they are or how good the school is.  Although in Chicago's defense, they don't use legacy or development (i.e. Daddy's a billionaire or a Senator) in admissions decisions.  That's not to say that their kids aren't coming from top high schools, affluent families and have all the AP classes and test prep money can buy.  But if you really think that everything from Astronomy to Zoology is all taught at the same speed and in the same way to a classroom full of 1000 SAT kids as it is to a classroom full of 1300 SAT kids as it is to a classroom full  of 1500 SAT kids, you're greatly mistaken.

If you think that’s my argument, you’re greatly mistaken. I was careful in my wording when I said “motivated” students can get a similarly world-class “undergraduate” education. 

My point is that 1500 SAT student who graduates with distinction from Long Beach will have received a similar education to that of a Chicago graduate.

Lol....two guys arguing about an article they couldn't comprehend...hmmmmm...what a surprise that your school finished more toward 500.  Hey, feel proud, you could be in the happiest camper's boat as an alum of a school he likely tells people finished at #728.

26 minutes ago, creeper86 said:

Lol....two guys arguing about an article they couldn't comprehend...hmmmmm...what a surprise that your school finished more toward 500.  Hey, feel proud, you could be in the happiest camper's boat as an alum of a school he likely tells people finished at #728.

Yep, it's almost like I chose the school I went to based on how much money they gave me or something

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

If you think that’s my argument, you’re greatly mistaken. I was careful in my wording when I said “motivated” students can get a similarly world-class “undergraduate” education. 

My point is that 1500 SAT student who graduates with distinction from Long Beach will have received a similar education to that of a Chicago graduate.

And I'm saying they can't. Those schools don't have the resources, the faculty or the quantity of smart, highly motivated students. A 1500 SAT kid might be able to wring the most out of LBSU, but Chicago simply has a world of resources for him to take advantage of that LBSU doesn't. 

And how many 1500 SAT students are even considering a Cal State school in the first place when that kind of score would make any UC campus including Berkeley practically free. 

What I've always found amusing here is that people will talk academic smack towards Boise or Fresno or UNLV and then turn around and argue that there's no difference between their school and schools higher up the food chain. 

SteelCityBlue

14 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Money Magazine released its college rankings today. 727 universities and colleges were ranked.

Its overall ranking is called "Best Colleges For Your Money 2018" using a mix of factors to represent, as the magazine says, "educational quality, affordability, and alumni success".

Like all rankings, the mix of factors and weighting will influence the results.

In this case, Money used

• Quality of education (1/3 of weighting) - includes Six-year graduation rate; student-to-faculty ratio; standardized test scores of entering freshman; etc.
  • Affordability (1/3 of weighting) - includes Net price of a degree; average student debt; etc.
  • Outcomes (1/3 of weighting) - includes Graduates’ earnings; Socio-economic mobility; job meaning; etc.

Full methodology at: http://time.com/money/5362601/how-money-ranks-best-colleges-2018/

The full ranking of 727 schools is at: http://time.com/money/best-colleges/

MWC school national rankings:

61. San Jose State
66. Fresno State
79. San Diego State
310. Colorado State
349. Wyoming
465. Nevada
520. Hawaii

Not ranked:
Air Force
Boise State
New Mexico
UNLV
Utah State

Top 465 aka Harvard of the West. #Flagship

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

3 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Lots of kids peak academically in high school. That's a reality defenders of the Ivies like to ignore. And we've danced this dance before but rampant grade inflation is common at the Ivies, but not the run of the mill state schools. I don't think any employer trusts a GPA from the Ivies because of this.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman