Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

SJSU lands a big neutral site game vs Army

22 hours ago, NWRebel said:

You guys make fun of SJSU but, the thing of it is they are our SJSU and there is nothing we can do about it.  Go MWC!

YOUR SJSU. My school never voted on letting them in, nor did Boise. Nor did Utah State or Hawaii for that matter.

Boom goes the dynamite.

58 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

YOUR SJSU. My school never voted on letting them in, nor did Boise. Nor did Utah State or Hawaii for that matter.

Does Hawaii get a vote on future expansion as a football only member?

25 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Does Hawaii get a vote on future expansion as a football only member?

I don't think so. However, UH gets much unwarranted grief here so I try to stick up for that school when the opportunity arises.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Boise and SUDS +++++ed up the conference with their greed and stupidity, in other words...

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

7 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Boise and SUDS +++++ed up the conference with their greed and stupidity, in other words...

I won't speak for Boise but had your school been presented with a possibility of perhaps increasing its annual TV revenue to $6.3 million (about a 300% increase just for football) while considerably reducing the travel expenses for its Olympic sports teams, your school would have done the same in a heartbeat and you know it. And to repeat what has become a mantra for us SUDS and Boise fans, there wasn't a reason in the world the MWC had to add SAN!!! yet you guys went and did it anyway.

Boom goes the dynamite.

It's good to see the conference doing this. The last regular season neutral site game that Fresno did was against Cal back in 2011 when Candlestick was still around. That place was a dump.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I won't speak for Boise but had your school been presented with a possibility of perhaps increasing its annual TV revenue to $6.3 million (about a 300% increase just for football) while considerably reducing the travel expenses for its Olympic sports teams, your school would have done the same in a heartbeat and you know it. And to repeat what has become a mantra for us SUDS and Boise fans, there wasn't a reason in the world the MWC had to add SAN!!! yet you guys went and did it anyway.

I think they added SJSU then because the MWC was going to lose Baseball without adding someone. 

Should sell lots of tickets because if there's two things the Bay Area loves it's Spartan football and the military. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

It's good to see the conference doing this. The last regular season neutral site game that Fresno did was against Cal back in 2011 when Candlestick was still around. That place was a dump.  

Ah yes, that game was Derek Carr's career college debut as a bulldog. Who was the coach for Cal that game? Jeff Tedford. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

54 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Should sell lots of tickets because if there's two things the Bay Area loves it's Spartan football and the military. 

Snarky, but I appreciated the humor !!

Brand new, 1/5 filled, NFL stadium against the frigin Army?? That's got ESPN, (ok, possibly the deuce) written all over it.... maybe you were thinking about the dilapidated,1/5 filled ex-NFL stadium to the south that CBS sports loves?? #inflated#s  #fireworks2follow

SAN!!

On 8/14/2018 at 3:25 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Stop lying. You came back for CBS Sports. Fantastic product. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Guest elefish92
On 8/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, #1Stunner said:

I think they added SJSU then because the MWC was going to lose Baseball without adding someone. 

• Success in the WAC because practically everyone left. I guess the Mountain West thought of this as a good sign that we would bring up the conference. Utah State has been mediocre in men's basketball and good in football. We have been awful at men's basketball and bad in football (I guess the bowl win against Georgia State counts...)
  • History with the rest of the schools, particularly in the West division. This doesn't matter rn because we're not doing good in football and men's basketball. Baseball yeah sure but that's much less important... On that note, we do have a lot of history if you look past the cluster+++++ of the 21st century (10 national champions, 50 individual, consistent wins against Pac-12 teams in football, etc.) I guess people think SJSU is gonna be back soon but unless if they hire coaches of that time, it ain't gonna happen (which is happening actually, women's golf most recently). 
  • SF Bay Area market, in spite of Cal and Stanford being here. Recruiting grounds, networking, etc. This is probably the biggest if not the only reason.
  • Not that many other FBS schools were available for the 12th member in FB/11th member overall...it's either leave Utah State out or invite one of SJSU, NMSU, and Idaho. I don't think anyone else in the other G5 conferences would see the move as that big of a step-up.
  • Kinda on the location, but this is more for the future of Mountain West student-athletes. We have the 49ers, Warriors, Athletics, Giants, etc. I have actually seen some recruiting scouts coming to our games because of other Mountain West members. Last time was against Fresno State in baseball because they (A's and Giants) wanted to check out Gonzalez of Fresno State.

At face value it seems like SJSU was a stupid move, but at the time and holistically I think it was a good choice. This is just my opinion though

Someone asked on Reddit why SJSU doesn't pack the house and here it is: 

If anyone doesn't believe me about SJSU being good before 2000 in football, here you go:

Men's basketball has always been bad. We have three NCAA Tournament appearances, and only one was an at-large in 1951. 

Honestly, it's understandable that we should be kicked out because we have been sucking at nearly everything. It has already been more than 4 years, the amount of years colleges plan to graduate students. 

These were our NCAA Tournament appearances since Fall 2013:

• Football: 2015 (bowl, not NCAA)
  • Women's gymnastics: 2014 (not Mountain West related)
  • Women's soccer: 2015
  • Softball: 2017
  • Women's tennis: 2017

At this point, we should do what Temple did with the Big East. Mountain West should be "Hey, go independent for now and if you perform awesome we will gladly add you back. If not, go to Plan B." I'm just giving the reasons why we were added because people think it's a stupid move but imho it wasn't. Our performance rn is unacceptable, and it's getting to the point where the negatives outweigh the positives.

On 8/14/2018 at 1:38 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

On May 2, 2012, San Jose State and Utah State agreed to join the Mountain West Conference at the same time (for the 2013–14 academic year).