Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBigAwesome

'Chain-Migration' from 'shithole' countries is ruining 'Merica duh Beautiful!!!

8 times Trump slammed 'chain migration' before it apparently helped wife's parents become citizens

The First Family's Chain Migration

List of countries by GDP (nominal)

GDP RANKINGS (International Monetary Fund/World Bank/United Nations)

• 'Merica duh Beautiful - 1st/1st/1st
  • Mexico (identified shithole country) - 15th/15th/15th
  • Slovenia - 84th/82nd/84th

The NYT had an article about the benefits of chain migration in helping to provide staffing in health care, particularly low wage positions crucial for caring for people sick, disabled, or long term care.  I wonder if the old timers who (hope to turn back the clock) want to abolish chain migration are willing to pay more for their care or only be able to rely on American born workers, from which there is a shortage.  Not to mention, finding reliable and loyal lower wage staff is very difficult as it is during low unemployment  (especially without criminal records and drug use issues).  

Unintended consequences seem to be the norm.  

We are a consumer driven, largely service based economy.  What China is trying to achieve after decades of low aspiration, environmentally damaging export based economy.  

To the people who wiped my dad’s ass in the care home, the workers who cooked my dinner, and the workers who take care of my kids, thank you.  You should be able to expect a better life for your kids.

4 hours ago, TheBigAwesome said:

8 times Trump slammed 'chain migration' before it apparently helped wife's parents become citizens

The First Family's Chain Migration

List of countries by GDP (nominal)

GDP RANKINGS (International Monetary Fund/World Bank/United Nations)

• 'Merica duh Beautiful - 1st/1st/1st
  • Mexico (identified shithole country) - 15th/15th/15th
  • Slovenia - 84th/82nd/84th

This thread goes into the TDS sufferer 'Who Gives a Shit' file. 

kat.jpg

From what I’ve been able to find, Trumps inlaws have held green cards and lived in the states for over ten years. You are eligible to become a citizen after holding a green card for five years. Therefore, they have been here for some time before they were granted citizenship. The media is making it out like they were given citizenship over night. 

Im not sure what the average waiting time is for most immigrants. It likely varies depending on the situation, but ten years seems like a lengthy period.

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

From what I’ve been able to find, Trumps inlaws have held green cards and lived in the states for over ten years. You are eligible to become a citizen after holding a green card for five years. Therefore, they have been here for some time before they were granted citizenship. The media is making it out like they were given citizenship over night. 

Im not sure what the average waiting time is for most immigrants. It likely varies depending on the situation, but ten years seems like a lengthy period.

No they're not. They're just pointing out that the in-laws were eligible because of chain migration. Is the hypocrisy difficult for you to see? 

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

They followed their daughter here, who was illegally working while on a tourist Visa.

Stephen Miller and the chain migration in his family.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/13/stephen-miller-is-an-immigration-hypocrite-i-know-because-im-his-uncle-219351

et me tell you a story about Stephen Miller and chain migration.

It begins at the turn of the 20th century, in a dirt-floor shack in the village of Antopol, a shtetl of subsistence farmers in what is now Belarus. Beset by violent anti-Jewish pogroms and forced childhood conscription in the Czar’s army, the patriarch of the shack, Wolf-Leib Glosser, fled a village where his forebears had lived for centuries and took his chances in America.

He set foot on Ellis Island on January 7, 1903, with $8 to his name. Though fluent in Polish, Russian and Yiddish, he understood no English. An elder son, Nathan, soon followed. By street corner peddling and sweatshop toil, Wolf-Leib and Nathan sent enough money home to pay off debts and buy the immediate family’s passage to America in 1906. That group included young Sam Glosser, who with his family settled in the western Pennsylvania city of Johnstown, a booming coal and steel town that was a magnet for other hardworking immigrants. The Glosser family quickly progressed from selling goods from a horse and wagon to owning a haberdashery in Johnstown run by Nathan and Wolf-Leib to a chain of supermarkets and discount department stores run by my grandfather, Sam, and the next generation of Glossers, including my dad, Izzy. It was big enough to be listed on the AMEX stock exchange and employed thousands of people over time. In the span of some 80 years and five decades, this family emerged from poverty in a hostile country to become a prosperous, educated clan of merchants, scholars, professionals, and, most important, American citizens.

What does this classically American tale have to do with Stephen Miller? Well, Izzy Glosser is his maternal grandfather, and Stephen’s mother, Miriam, is my sister.

19 hours ago, renoskier said:

No they're not. They're just pointing out that the in-laws were eligible because of chain migration. Is the hypocrisy difficult for you to see? 

Yes, it's incredibly hard for cons like him to see.  

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

On 8/13/2018 at 12:20 AM, soupslam1 said:

Right but they were given green cards due to chain migration.  Something the hypocrite in chief wants to take away.   

This whole break the law thing is just further hypocrisy from the southern based Republican Party.  It’s ironic the authoritarian Tea Party group takes their name from a law breaking event.   An act of civil disobedience the authoritarian right would scream “lock them up” over today.  Immigrate the right way?  The south has a whole state named after people “Sooners” who didn’t follow the right way.   

The American tradition is do what is right morally for your country and family first and follow the laws second.   The illegals fleeing violence in Central America, braving a perilous desert crossing and being smart enough to evade authorities are the true decendents of our fore fathers.  Not the follow the laws MAGA crowd on the right.   Too bad we can’t keep the immigrants and deport the MAGA crowd.  

5 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Right but they were given green cards due to chain migration.  Something the hypocrite in chief wants to take away.   

This whole break the law thing is just further hypocrisy from the southern based Republican Party.  It’s ironic the authoritarian Tea Party group takes their name from a law breaking event.   An act of civil disobedience the authoritarian right would scream “lock them up” over today.  Immigrate the right way?  The south has a whole state named after people “Sooners” who didn’t follow the right way.   

The American tradition is do what is right morally for your country and family first and follow the laws second.   The illegals fleeing violence in Central America, braving a perilous desert crossing and being smart enough to evade authorities are the true decendents of our fore fathers.  Not the follow the laws MAGA crowd on the right.   Too bad we can’t keep the immigrants and deport the MAGA crowd.  

Get off your high horse.  If Democrats really cared about the working poor, they wouldn't flood the country with low-wage workers who depress wages for those at the bottom.  There are not a lot of accountants and doctors sneaking across the border or overstaying visas.  The only reason that Democrats "care" about immigrants is that 70% or so of Latinos vote Democrat.  You just want to change the balance of power especially if you can flood red states like Texas with more undocumented Democrats.

46 minutes ago, nomascows said:

Get off your high horse.  If Democrats really cared about the working poor, they wouldn't flood the country with low-wage workers who depress wages for those at the bottom.  There are not a lot of accountants and doctors sneaking across the border or overstaying visas.  The only reason that Democrats "care" about immigrants is that 70% or so of Latinos vote Democrat.  You just want to change the balance of power especially if you can flood red states like Texas with more undocumented Democrats.

How are the wages depressed at the bottom? Can you quantify how much of that is based on immigration vs automation?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

How are the wages depressed at the bottom? Can you quantify how much of that is based on immigration vs automation?

Simple economics.  When many jobs chase few workers, wages go up.  When many workers chase few jobs, wages go down.  I don't need to quantify how many jobs are going away because of automation.  Whatever that number may be, bringing in millions more workers competing for lower end jobs is only going to make things worse; exactly how much worse, I will leave to professional economists.

9 minutes ago, nomascows said:

Simple economics.  When many jobs chase few workers, wages go up.  When many workers chase few jobs, wages go down.  I don't need to quantify how many jobs are going away because of automation.  Whatever that number may be, bringing in millions more workers competing for lower end jobs is only going to make things worse; exactly how much worse, I will leave to professional economists.

No, this is a lazy cop out. 

When wages get too high, people stop buying the good or automation takes over. That damages the industry. Bringing in millions more workers, in a nation with over a hundred million workers, isn't that big of a deal. For that matter, our unemployment, even in "bad" times, is the envy of the world. We're not even supposed to be able to have 5% unemployment and we're at what, 3.9%? 

Farmers have tried to hire hands. They pay 20+ bucks an hour with benefits. They still can't find takers. That isn't "the bottom", that's a lack of qualified or able workers. 

Not quantifying wage depression due to automation is extra lazy given this. If an employer can't find the population or the skills to do the work, that employer fails or gets a machine to do it. 

You're being wishy washy with numbers. That's a sin. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 8/13/2018 at 11:12 AM, renoskier said:

Trump isn't against chain migration.  What's the issue?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Trump isn't against chain migration.  What's the issue?

He isn't?

29 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Supply v demand of workers at any level, bottom or otherwise, impact the wage.  The more supply the more wages become depressed.  I'm not sure this is your point, but I think this is what noma is saying.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

7 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Supply v demand of workers at any level, bottom or otherwise, impact the wage.  The more supply the more wages become depressed.  I'm not sure this is your point, but I think this is what noma is saying.

It's a curve, though, isn't it? If you don't have any workers of a certain type, the wage is effectively zero. If workers are so expensive that you just go all automation, the wage is effectively zero. If a job is sociologically undesirable so only outsiders will do it, the wage would have been zero anyway.

6 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Nope.  He's wanting to control it but he's not against it. 

He called for it to end.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-essential-washington-updates-hold-trump-on-chain-migration-1517356312-htmlstory.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/times-trump-slammed-chain-migration-apparently-helped-wifes/story?id=57132429