Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

U.S., wage growth is being wiped out entirely by inflation

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Relax, what I said wasn’t very controversial. 😺👍

Not controversial, just entirely wrong right here.

32 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Whether people have been big on 'trickle down' or not over the years, it's mostly dead now. With so many companies producing things out of the US, why would we want a trickle down that benefitted our competition?

What the hell do you think the Trump tax cuts last year were? 

And you’d been doing so good at holding your own against Akkula too (save for the zero sum game/winner and loser comment). How you drove straight into that telephone pole is baffling.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

JFC Akkula and Convert pontificating on economics in the same thread is a little too crossing of the streams in my brain.

:popcorn:

Untitled-2.png.6e488099c10bd0bfd5b9c126fbc1323e.png

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 8/12/2018 at 5:09 AM, Akkula said:

But somehow the stock market and CEO comp are far outstripping inflation.   Another failed trickle down tax cut experiment.   Maybe next time we will learn. ...probably not. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/08/10/america-wage-growth-is-getting-wiped-out-entirely-by-inflation/?utm_term=.cc89f705f95c

So, invest your tax break in the market. 

Never seek economic advice from a commie. 

"Failed" LOL

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

People often buy more stuff when they have more money.  Somebody should tell these people to stop buying stuff!  

retail-sales-in-2018-could-climb-higher

Personally, my wife and I's income has gone up over 20% in the past 18 months.  Due to regulation changes and lower tax rate, the banking related company I work for has had sales go way up and their stock price has doubled.  My wife works in energy, 2 years ago she was looking for a job now she's turning down job offers.  We've taken 2 vacations this year already.  I have more money to spend and am saving much more.  So please, continue to tell me how bad things are.  

The economy is doing spectacular right now.  Democrats can try to spin it all they want but people aren't stupid, they know whats going on.  

28 minutes ago, pokerider said:

People often buy more stuff when they have more money.  Somebody should tell these people to stop buying stuff!  

Personally, my wife and I's income has gone up over 20% in the past 18 months.  Due to regulation changes and lower tax rate, the banking related company I work for has had sales go way up and their stock price has doubled.  My wife works in energy, 2 years ago she was looking for a job now she's turning down job offers.  We've taken 2 vacations this year already.  I have more money to spend and am saving much more.  So please, continue to tell me how bad things are.  

The economy is doing spectacular right now.  Democrats can try to spin it all they want but people aren't stupid, they know whats going on.  

I mean this is all well and good, but if the party is built on trillion dollar deficits it's going to come crashing down. Soon. And to forestall all the "but but but Obama!" comments of posters with the memory of a goldfish, yes, I believed in balancing (or at least trying to balance...) the budget under Obama as well and posted to that effect frequently. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean this is all well and good, but if the party is built on trillion dollar deficits it's going to come crashing down. Soon. And to forestall all the "but but but Obama!" comments of posters with the memory of a goldfish, yes, I believed in balancing (or at least trying to balance...) the budget under Obama as well and posted to that effect frequently. 

Ah, I'm glad you agree that Wash. DC has a major spending problem!  They need to cut all the budgets!  

Just now, pokerider said:

Ah, I'm glad you agree that Wash. DC has a major spending problem!  They need to cut all the budgets!  

Cut budgets and raise taxes. I don't think we even have enough discretionary spending to cut to have a balanced budget right now. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

For those that pay attention, the economy has been growing and unemployment going down since 2009.  It's not that people are stupid, it's that many want to pretend this just started last year.  Ditto for the stock market - we are in the 9th year of a LONG bull run.

5 minutes ago, alum93 said:

For those that pay attention, the economy has been growing and unemployment going down since 2009.  It's not that people are stupid, it's just that many want to pretend this just started last year.

Similar to how some pretend that debts and deficits started last year too....

v0icAvfW.jpg

7 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Similar to how some pretend that debts and deficits started last year too....

i would say ignorance isn't bound to either party.  But on the note of debts and deficits specifically, the latest version of the Republican controlled Congress and WH has been an absolute disappointment.  

11 minutes ago, alum93 said:

i would say ignorance isn't bound to either party.  But on the note of debts and deficits specifically, the latest version of the Republican controlled Congress and WH has been an absolute disappointment.  

On that we certainly agree...

v0icAvfW.jpg

22 hours ago, toonkee said:

Akkula's post was about trickle down economics as a policy and this is really all the article it says about Trump:

The combination of rising prices and stagnant wages poses a problem for Trump, who campaigned on promises of jobs and raises for the working-class Americans he called “the forgotten men and women of our country.” Delivering prosperity for those workers has proved difficult for Trump, as it was for Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush.

Well, it doesn't really matter the substance of my post.  The shrill Trumpian voices will show up like little Sarah Huckabee Sanders to peddle irrelevant insults and distractions to take away from the message.

If I was Trump I would love this Russia investigation too because it takes the eye off the utter failure of his policies.

As we have predicted the stock market is super frothy and stock buybacks are at record levels with these giant corporate tax cuts.  Instead of going to physical investments and wages the tax cuts are giving us unsustainable housing prices and stock market.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/stock-buybacks-evil/

I sincerely cannot believe that the debt and deficit scolds running for congress can even win another election if they voted for that disaster of a Trump spending bill.  Are there any "fiscal conservatives" in the Republican party or was that just a mythical creature who used debt and deficits as a way to hammer Obama after Bush cratered the economy.  It is so shameful that fiscal conservatives can ever pull the lever for congressional representatives who are such hypocrites and who are now ensuring our country is bleeding red ink..... 

Posted Image

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Well, it doesn't really matter the substance of my post.  The shrill Trumpian voices will show up like little Sarah Huckabee Sanders to peddle irrelevant insults and distractions to take away from the message.

If I was Trump I would love this Russia investigation too because it takes the eye off the utter failure of his policies.

As we have predicted the stock market is super frothy and stock buybacks are at record levels with these giant corporate tax cuts.  Instead of going to physical investments and wages the tax cuts are giving us unsustainable housing prices and stock market.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/stock-buybacks-evil/

I sincerely cannot believe that the debt and deficit scolds running for congress can even win another election if they voted for that disaster of a Trump spending bill.  Are there any "fiscal conservatives" in the Republican party or was that just a mythical creature who used debt and deficits as a way to hammer Obama after Bush cratered the economy.  It is so shameful that fiscal conservatives can ever pull the lever for congressional representatives who are such hypocrites and who are now ensuring our country is bleeding red ink..... 

OK, if he Democrats are convinced that the Country is in terrible economic shape right now, I'd be interested in hearing the Democrats' solution.

What is their proposal to grow wages (the original topic of this thread)?

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Just curious.  Are you for cutting social security, medicare and medicaid towards balancing the budget?  

The World Needs More Cowboys!

20 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Just curious.  Are you for cutting social security, medicare and medicaid towards balancing the budget?  

Yes. Moreso for future benefits than current ones (so, like, for me than for you). 

Just now, happycamper said:

Yes. Moreso for future benefits than current ones (so, like, for me than for you). 

Thanks.  I thought you've stated this before and I couldn't recall.

I wish there were more folks in DC like Al Simpson and Erskine Bowles these days.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

If you want my opinion, the U.S. economy really hasnt been great since the 1920's. 

I believe that the second world war, Korean and Vietnam wars gave the government incentive to mass produce weapons, which gave people jobs, but the non-military sector of the economy was rather stagnant between 1940 and 1970 

1 hour ago, ExplorerSunDevil said:

If you want my opinion, the U.S. economy really hasnt been great since the 1920's. 

I believe that the second world war, Korean and Vietnam wars gave the government incentive to mass produce weapons, which gave people jobs, but the non-military sector of the economy was rather stagnant between 1940 and 1970 

Obviously you don't have a clue then.   The economy is killing it right now, in almost every sector.  

As far as taxes go, you can only raise them so much.  The Corp tax cut is actually repatriating monies that otherwise would not have been taxed at all!  
If you tax money made from investing to high, then people won't invest, the risk/reward won't be worth it because remember some investments lose money.  

Some things could probably be taxed higher but primarily US Gov't spending in all areas needs to be reduced.