Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

SPACE FORCE

they just need to call it something more original than Space Force, because that does sound like a cheesy movie. 

Maybe Orbit Defense Agency or something.  But in addition to that, we really need a better cyber defense agency specifically to counter any internet computer threats for gov't and business enterprises. 

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

they just need to call it something more original than Space Force, because that does sound like a cheesy movie. 

Maybe Orbit Defense Agency or something.  But in addition to that, we really need a better cyber defense agency specifically to counter any internet computer threats for gov't and business enterprises. 

You mean like the Air Force?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

25 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Starfleet?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, HR_Poke said:

Rebel Alliance?

I was thinking the Imperial Forces. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

only if we can rename the army Land Force, and the navy Sea Force

Can we call the Marines the Beach Force?

Space Rangers?

The Long Patrol?

Vacuum Cavalry?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

46 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

why can't the US Air Force handle this?

Why make more bureaucracy?

Because, they are already a massive thing with more responsibility than they can handle already. Span of control. It's not like the AF and their service members aren't already, and wouldn't be intricately involved in any future American space assets and missions anyway.

I'm all for the Space Force or whatever it ends up being. Most presidents just out and out kill proposed programs that further science and understanding the universe and our ability to operate outside this tiny planet. We know a shit-ton about this planet only because the military was there first. The bottom of the oceans for example, or the farthest reaches of the atmosphere, etc. This seems like a normal progression for LEO and beyond.

Other military funding should be cut to fund this, imo.

Sime the end of the shuttle program more and are nasa functions have been shifted to the usaf.

this had been talked about for a long time, and it is ignorant of king to think this is some harebrained trump idea.

this will be a huge longterm restructuring of DOD, akin to the army air force being made it's own branch, and was always going to become a DoD turfwar eventually

personally I think it is too early for this.

17 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

However my first thought to this was taking NASA and putting them more under the military possibly.

I don't think that would be good to do.   I truly expect in the near term future the US, and private companies and other countries will all be doing more and more missions in space, from new telescopes being put out there to actual mining asteroids.  Its not going to really be feasible imo long term for everyone to just do their own.  Going to have to do things like the space station and share resources.  

20 minutes ago, pokerider said:

I don't think that would be good to do.   I truly expect in the near term future the US, and private companies and other countries will all be doing more and more missions in space, from new telescopes being put out there to actual mining asteroids.  Its not going to really be feasible imo long term for everyone to just do their own.  Going to have to do things like the space station and share resources.  

Oh I agree, I don't think it would be a good idea either. However I think in some ways parts of NASA might be good to cross with military especially if it meant better telescopes, better equipment so they could see more of the sky. 

Then maybe could be the start of the Starfleet Academy as well.