Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Eating meat renforces toxic masculinity ...

To combat this nonsense I am currently eat a steak, clasped tightly in my left hand while doing bicep with my right hand, watching football and talking like a pirate to my dog.  I am going to ask my most recent tinder match what her thoughts on penis are next.

42 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

To combat this nonsense I am currently eat a steak, clasped tightly in my left hand while doing bicep with my right hand, watching football and talking like a pirate to my dog.  I am going to ask my most recent tinder match what her thoughts on penis are next.

Watching football has got to be toxic masculinity. 

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

There work if honest and scientific would show that farming for vegetarians and plant eaters has done much more damage to fauna like Salmon than native animals have ever done in reverse.

If she was basing her opinions on science and defensible research the conclusion would be vegetarians are toxic to animals.

You got that right. All that fertilizer nitrogen and phosphorus from crop irrigation drainage into rivers exacerbates algae growth which lowers oxygen levels for fish. What is crazy is the EPA strictly regulates phosphorus and nitrogen discharges from point source municipal wastewater treatment plants but nutrient discharge is unregulated for farmers which in many cases contribute a greater nutrient load to streams. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

I can see most commenting didn't even watch the video. Lame click bait eatin' suckas.

She didn't say anything in the video other than it is "really complicated", and she "didn't have enough time to explain it on his show".

It looks like you didn't even watch the video.

5 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Are some of you actually trying to have a serious discussion about this shit????  LOL

Andrew Dice Clay .... notorious red meat eater.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

9 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Are some of you actually trying to have a serious discussion about this shit????  LOL

Well... yeah. That is how you determine ideological validity.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I'm sure that there is a lot more nuance to her conclusions than was presented during the interview, but she didn't do a good job of making that clear, because she totally engaged in whatever debate the host wanted to have. I can imagine there being some validity to the claim in very limited circumstances, but how is the hypothesis at all true for, say, Inuit tribes that rely heavily on meat? Or steppe cultures? Or Northern European societies? etc. I'm sure that women have different patterns of consumption than men do, but does that inevitably mean that meat consumption is glorifying toxic masculinity? 

I think another problem here is that "toxic" masculinity seems to be exceedingly ill-defined and applied to whatever behavior the observer has personal discomfort with. A friend of mine plays a South Asian sport that involves a ton of physicality and almost ritualized "taunting" after successful events. One person I know took a three-second look at it and declared that it was "toxic."