Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Eating meat renforces toxic masculinity ...

OMG

"Eating meat holds a lot of symbolism."

I had to stop there. Symbolism is wholly subjective. You can't place symbolism in mundane things like chomping a hamburger.

This is a result of our outrage culture: 'If it offends me, you are wrong and you should be banned from doing it.'

5 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Symbolism is wholly subjective. You can't place symbolism in mundane things like chomping a hamburger.

Um, everyone working in advertising for a corporate hamburger chain disagrees. I haven't even watched the video, which I am sure is dumb. But this line here shows a remarkable lack of understanding about just how culture works.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

That guy is a genius and is hilarious. The bit with the steak and the dumb questions!  I heard next week he's going to have a biologist on and ask her "you really trying to tell me that my grandpa was a monkey?"

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

Symbolism is wholly subjective. You can't place symbolism in mundane things like chomping a hamburger.

You're contradicting yourself.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

You're sort of contradicting yourself.

fify

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Man, it must suck to go on TV while no one could give a shit about your philosophy. Old STD Douche has had that experience many times on Mexican TV holding up 'end of the world' Book of Revelation bible verses while working as a world class Mexican Wrestling spit bucket holder.

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

OMG

"Eating meat holds a lot of symbolism."

I had to stop there. Symbolism is wholly subjective. You can't place symbolism in mundane things like chomping a hamburger.

This is a result of our outrage culture: 'If it offends me, you are wrong and you should be banned from doing it.'

They do try.

Perhaps the symbolism only works on the slow witted. 

BTW, she's not a professor, she's adjuncting around the Pacific Northwest. So EFF  this Waters asshole and the dipshits at Campus Reform and wherever else decided to send her his way for actively trying to undermine her career before it even started. 

Second, her research is not specifically about how meat reinforces gender roles. She's a sociologist of food, which is a branch of sociology that is not only one of the more robust in terms of scholarship, but is regularly among the most popular classes on college campuses because - shocking - food has lots of meanings to different people and different cultures beyond its function to keep you alive. Gender dynamics are one small part of that, and she probably had one section in her dissertation that discussed this among other analyses of her subject data, turned it into an article, and she's now the spokeswoman for "Meat is Misogyny!" 

Finally, her study area is Argentina. I'm sure there's no connection between masculinity and beef down there. Couldn't be. 

23 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

BTW, she's not a professor, she's adjuncting around the Pacific Northwest. So EFF  this Waters asshole and the dipshits at Campus Reform and wherever else decided to send her his way for actively trying to undermine her career before it even started. 

Second, her research is not specifically about how meat reinforces gender roles. She's a sociologist of food, which is a branch of sociology that is not only one of the more robust in terms of scholarship, but is regularly among the most popular classes on college campuses because - shocking - food has lots of meanings to different people and different cultures beyond its function to keep you alive. Gender dynamics are one small part of that, and she probably had one section in her dissertation that discussed this among other analyses of her subject data, turned it into an article, and she's now the spokeswoman for "Meat is Misogyny!" 

Finally, her study area is Argentina. I'm sure there's no connection between masculinity and beef down there. Couldn't be. 

Yeah, I actually wanted to hear her out.  Sounded kind of interesting to me.  The things she said, and not the words put in her mouth by the dipshit host, made it sound like I might learn something or gain some perspective I didn't have before. Jokes on me I guess. 

37 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Ironically, Argentinian steak is some of the best.

3 minutes ago, nomascows said:

Ironically, Argentinian steak is some of the best.

How is that ironic?