Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Broncos and Ducks schedule a 2 for 1 (football)

25 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Could also just be a different person negotiating. I can't remember which of our current series' were negotiated by Coyle (left three years ago) and which ones by Aspey. It might be an interesting thing to spend some time googling though.

So looking this up. As best I can tell with a quick search based on when Coyle left, here's who appears to be responsible for which series. P5 opponents bolded. (Sorry BYU. Quality scheduling add, but not P5)

Oregon State - Negotiated by Coyle

Oklahoma State - Coyle

Florida State - Coyle

Washington State - Aspey

Washington - Coyle?

Houston - Aspey

East Carolina - Aspey

Georgia Southern - Aspey

Portland State - Aspey

BYU - Gene

UTEP - Coyle

Rice - Coyle

Troy - Coyle

Cincinnati - Aspey

Uconn - Coyle

LaLa - Coyle

Michigan State - Gene B.

4 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

To the best of my recollection for future games:

Bleymaier-- BYU, Michigan State

Coyle-- Troy, UConn, Oklahoma State, Florida State, UTEP, Rice, Cincinnati 

Apsey-- Marshall, Georgia Southern, Houston, East Carolina, Washington State, Oregon State, Oregon

Hey. Looks like we were doing the same research. Was BYU Gene? I should switch credit. I think Oregon State is Coyle though since that was announced in 2014.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/bronco-beat-blog/article40757658.html

Jim, Fresno's former AD Jim Bartko who was an asst AD at Oregon, before he took the Fresno job and he could not swing a 1 and 1 with Oregon.  Our next scheduled game with Oregon is in 2021, at Autzen Stadium.  So Oregon is not very flexible when it comes to this.

8 minutes ago, SBBulldog85 said:

Jim, Fresno's former AD Jim Bartko who was an asst AD at Oregon, before he took the Fresno job and he could not swing a 1 and 1 with Oregon.  Our next scheduled game with Oregon is in 2021, at Autzen Stadium.  So Oregon is not very flexible when it comes to this.

But "you know who" would have gotten Oregon to give Boise State five games in Boise for only one in Eugene. Dude is a master negotiator. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, SBBulldog85 said:

Boise State's last series with Oregon was a 1-1. 

Personally, I'd have rather the Broncos walked away and looked elsewhere rather than accept a 2-1. There are plenty of other P5 fish in the sea and 2024 is far enough out that there was time to look around.

13 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Personally, I'd have rather the Broncos walked away and looked elsewhere rather than accept a 2-1. There are plenty of other P5 fish in the sea and 2024 is far enough out that there was time to look around.

Any Pac-12 school not named USC that is asking for a 2 for 1 should be told to piss off.

Especially some soft ass team that's gotten their ass kicked every time they've played BSU. 

Honestly it's almost kind of insulting that they only want a 2 for 1.

Sure, if Oregon was 3-0 versus BSU then it would be understandable that they would want a 2 for 1, but BSU has absolutely owned the Ducks, and yet Oregon is still going to act like they're too good to do a 1 for 1 with BSU. 

Screw you Oregon! Just a total lack of respect!

53 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Hey. Looks like we were doing the same research. Was BYU Gene? I should switch credit. I think Oregon State is Coyle though since that was announced in 2014.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/bronco-beat-blog/article40757658.html

You are right about Oregon State.  I thought the 2022-2023 series was announced more recently.

The BYU series was announced in 2011.  Curt Apsey was actually the interim AD for the announcement but I'm giving Gene credit for it because I think he was most likely the negotiator of this deal.

http://broncosports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092811aab.html

26 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I understand your feelings about this.  I also read your comment on the Blue Turf Board.

I think there are several issues at play here, than just the perceived stature issue.

I think Boise playing Oregon is a good thing for Boise and college football.

It also gives Boise more opportunity to showcase it's program against a regional PAC12 opponent in Oregon.  It never hurts for Boise to elevate its profile in the Pacific NW for recruiting purposes.  Fresno has played Oregon several times and Oregon used to travel to Fresno when they were building up their program.  Which made sense because they wanted to recruit within California.  Now they believe they are above travelling to Fresno.  They are now giving us the "High Hat", sound familiar?

15 minutes ago, Fe34Iife said:

Any Pac-12 school not named USC that is asking for a 2 for 1 should be told to piss off.

Especially some soft ass team that's gotten their ass kicked every time they've played BSU. 

Honestly it's almost kind of insulting that they only want a 2 for 1.

Sure, if Oregon was 3-0 versus BSU then it would be understandable that they would want a 2 for 1, but BSU has absolutely owned the Ducks, and yet Oregon is still going to act like they're too good to do a 1 for 1 with BSU. 

Screw you Oregon! Just a total lack of respect!

So, let's just all three of these games as well. Like the previous three.

52 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I'm adding the Washington 1-1 series to Coyle (I think?) too. Yet another Pac-12 opponent, and yet another 1-1. Might have been Gene? Why is Oregon 2-1?

The Washington series was announced on January 12, 2011 so that would be during Gene's tenure.  We also had a previous one and done with Washington that I think played into the negotiations.  We may not have gotten the 1-1 without that other contest in 2007 but only the ADs would know for sure.

7 minutes ago, Bronco22 said:

So, let's just all three of these games as well. Like the previous three.

I hope so.

I think we win at least 2 out of the 3. 

Oregon is soft.

BSU has physically beaten them (especially in the trenches) in the last 2 games, and neither one of those games was as close as the final score.  

2 hours ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Florida State

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

Oregon State

Washington State

Washington State again

All P5 opponents and all 1 for 1s. Oregon is a pretty big outlier to our scheduling philosophy in recent years of insisting on 1 for 1s.

Other quality opponents on 1 for 1s...

BYU - For every game BSU plays there, we get one here.

Marshall - Almost went undefeated and challenged for the G5 bid for the 2014 season.

Troy - Double digit wins each of the last two years

Houston - One of the top teams reasonably consistently in the AAC

Cincinnati - Usually a pretty good AAC team although they've been bad the last couple

To imply that BSU needs to schedule bad opponents to get 1 for 1 deals is a total strawman.

Michigan State was a 2/1, man.  You also haven't seen if they're buying any of these out on the backside.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

SDSU has gotten every Pac school except Oregon and USC to agree to a home and home. USC has historically been one of the top 10 or so premier football programs. Oregon?

On this I agree with SDSU's administration. Phuck Nike U if they continue to insist on two-fers.

Oregon has been a pretty good program over the last decade.  

1 hour ago, easybronc said:

Apsey is in way over his head and we need to fire his dumb ass.  

Why?

1 hour ago, Spot50B said:

To the best of my recollection for future games:

Bleymaier-- BYU, Michigan State

Coyle-- Troy, UConn, Oklahoma State, Florida State, UTEP, Rice, Cincinnati 

Apsey-- Marshall, Georgia Southern, Houston, East Carolina, Washington State, Oregon State, Oregon

I think it's smart to play the better G5 programs, in particular teams in the AAC.  East Carolina has kind of fallen off, but Houston is a good series.  Marshall is one of the better teams in their league.  If it comes down to an Access Bowl bid, I think it's good you'll have games in your pocket against some of the better teams in those leagues.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, SBBulldog85 said:

I think we ended up getting the one and done from Oregon because Nevada didn't want to go up there or something, so we took the game.  Maybe I'm off, but I remember something about that.

54 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I think you take a 2/1 with someone like Michigan or Ohio State if you can get them to do it.  That said, I doubt there's many takers.

17 minutes ago, Fe34Iife said:

I hope so.

I think we win at least 2 out of the 3. 

Oregon is soft.

BSU has physically beaten them (especially in the trenches) in the last 2 games, and neither one of those games was as close as the final score.  

It's never been about performance.