Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

ESPN+...what Disney Mgt hasn't told investors.

That total amount needed is a bit more than that total subscribers of about 4 million from Direct TV Now, Sling, PS Due, YouTube Tv, Hulu Live all added together. 

Guess they will either raise their cost from $4.99/month to $49.99/month  or hope they get enough subscribers at that current rate.

Is the dinosaur slowing dying?   Did it choke on all the shiny (P5, cough...) things they inhaled in a short frenzy?  Without paying attention to the users' landscape?  

Best lessons are painful.  That corporate monster is learning a lesson. 

I cancelled my ESPN Insider subscription recently over this ESPN+ stuff.

To many things that used to be on Insider that they're now making you pay a second fee to get. No bueno. I'm not paying a second time for something just because they arbitrarily decided to try and do a stealth price increase.

I'd have had more respect if they had just raised the Insider fee rather than created a two-tier system.

ESPN+ doesn’t include the mothership, or even espn2 or U. correct? I’ve been tempted to buy a subscription, but I’m not seeing those channels offered in the lineup.

I have no interested in getting the golf/tennis/soccer/ping pong channels! And all they say is they’ll offer “college football”, but what college football? 

Until i see ESPN/2/3/U, sec, big10, or att sports channel (at least 1 or 2 ch’s anyway), I’m not buying in. I’ll stream what I can or watch what presented on the big4 tv channels, or gontomsports bars in the mean time.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

ESPN+ doesn’t include the mothership, or even espn2 or U. correct? I’ve been tempted to buy a subscription, but I’m not seeing those channels offered in the lineup.

I have no interested in getting the golf/tennis/soccer/ping pong channels! And all they say is they’ll offer “college football”, but what college football? 

Until i see ESPN/2/3/U, sec, big10, or att sports channel (at least 1 or 2 ch’s anyway), I’m not buying in. I’ll stream what I can or watch what presented on the big4 tv channels, or gontomsports bars in the mean time.

ESPN+ is more of a Netflix type of channel that happens to have live games.  For $4.99 per month, the live events you get are:

Out of market MLS.  The only team I cannot watch live is the Rapids.  But I can watch their games anytime after the conclusion of their games.

Select college conferences such as the Ivy League, Sun Belt, etc.

Select MLB & NHL games.  If the Rockies are on, can't watch them either.  Ditto for the Avs.  But you can watch any MLB game after they are done.

And that is only scratching the surface.  Before ESPN bought out Bam Tech who was the home of MLB & NHL and the MLS streaming channels, it would have cost maybe over $100 per month to watch live and on demand games.  Having the ability to watch any MLB, NHL, and MLS game on demand really makes that $4.99 per month a huge bargain to me.

If ESPN+ is successful, Disney could be convinced to put ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, etc under one streaming roof and it will not cost $4.99 per month...maybe closer to $19.99 per month.  WWE is doing very well after putting all of their events on the WWE Network even the live PPVs.

I'm an avid videogamer and suppose I love playing Madden and the other sports against other people online and end up missing the live games...no problem since I have ESPN+ and NFL GamePass.  Having said that, I realize that it doesn't apply to everyone especially non-Millennials.

59 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Eh, compare it to the WWE network. That took a couple years to get to where it needed to be, but it got there.

And some nice new media contacts with NBC & Fox.  Some people want to watch live some people want to watch on their own time.

It’s not like they are going to scrap it if it isn’t immediately profitable, this is a long term play. I’d be curious what the numbers will be once the UFC programming starts, because that is going to bring a bunch of loyal subscribers. 

I see nobody mentioned this bit of irony. Disney will be launching its own streaming service next year and will be pulling all its content (which includes all of Fox’s stuff since they are buying them) off Netflix (except for the Marvel TV shows like Daredevil), giving it a tv/movie streaming service in addition to a sports streaming g service in ESPN+. Also after the fox deal it will own 60% of Hulu and will place all its R rated material on there, essentially giving it a third streaming service. If you want all three Disney will give them to you at a discounted rate by packaging them together in, you guessed it, a bundle. So in cutting the cord to avoid cable bundles, you will very likely have to buy streaming bundles in the near future.

Dread it... run from it.... the bundle still arrives.

I used ESPN+ to watch Major League Rugby and then cancelled it when the month was over. The other MLR matches were on CBS SportsNet which I get with my cable TV.

This is a long term plan with more things coming for this ESPN+. I believe when this was being talked about being launched I heard the ultimate vision was to put all of ESPN under the ESPN+ thing but that was going to be a few years down the line.

With Disney's streaming service, that has been in the work for three years now laying the groundwork and getting things moving forward.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:12 AM, LoboMan59 said:

What you said.

Also, when I sit down to watch football, I like to easily and immediately switch between games.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:55 AM, Jalapeno said:

ESPN+ is more of a Netflix type of channel that happens to have live games.  For $4.99 per month, the live events you get are:

Out of market MLS.  The only team I cannot watch live is the Rapids.  But I can watch their games anytime after the conclusion of their games.

Select college conferences such as the Ivy League, Sun Belt, etc.

Select MLB & NHL games.  If the Rockies are on, can't watch them either.  Ditto for the Avs.  But you can watch any MLB game after they are done.

And that is only scratching the surface.  Before ESPN bought out Bam Tech who was the home of MLB & NHL and the MLS streaming channels, it would have cost maybe over $100 per month to watch live and on demand games.  Having the ability to watch any MLB, NHL, and MLS game on demand really makes that $4.99 per month a huge bargain to me.

If ESPN+ is successful, Disney could be convinced to put ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, etc under one streaming roof and it will not cost $4.99 per month...maybe closer to $19.99 per month.  WWE is doing very well after putting all of their events on the WWE Network even the live PPVs.

I'm an avid videogamer and suppose I love playing Madden and the other sports against other people online and end up missing the live games...no problem since I have ESPN+ and NFL GamePass.  Having said that, I realize that it doesn't apply to everyone especially non-Millennials.

From my viewing point, ESPN+ doesn't do it (yet)

MLS - I don't watch soccer, and the only way i might care about soccer is if / when Las Vegas lands an MLS team - Our USL soccer team has their games on local tv, which I have recorded, but I admit i fast forward thru the games until I see the score change, the stop to watch the goal. I'm not there with soccer enough to sit thru 90 minutes of jogging & trotting for a 4 second score.

MLB - I buy the MLB package every year & view some games via ROKU - We get AZ D-Backs, SD Padres, LA/OC/Anaheim/California Angels on local cable feeds, so the only teams I can't see are SF Giants, Oakland A's & LA Dodgers.......but I buy this more for just having it if I have a bet on some games and not for major rooting interests.

NHL - I get my fill with 82 VGK games and whatever shows up on NBCSN & other cable channels ( Note: in LV market we are now blacked out of Kings & Ducks games, but I admit before the VGK, I rarely watched an entire NHL game at all) 

College FB for me is mainly MWC first & foremost, maybe some PAC12 & Big12 once  in a while......after that there's not much of a priority, though I have been know to tune into some Big Sky games via their Big Sky Network / Pluto on the interwebs.

As for WWE, UFC, Boxing, Rugby, and the like, I really wouldn't watch even if free & available anywhere