Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

BYU and New Mexico State: Should This Become an Annual Rivalry?

Go Aggies! 

Image result for NMSU School Logo

On 8/9/2018 at 12:44 PM, alum93 said:

50% increase from year before is what the Tucson sportscaster said, almost all driven by NMSU.  Set Arizona bowl record.  I am guessing they are crossing their fingers they can invite NMSU again over a Sun Belt team, which is why they signed an agreement with NMSU last week.

Would it be the same again though 2 years in a row?

This has all the makings of a great rivalry.  It actually would make sense if NMSU and BYU played a home and home against each other every year.  Helps fuel this tremendous rivalry of similar independents and eases the scheduling concerns of both schools.  Perhaps this is why NMSU scheduled the home and home with Liberty his year (to test the waters and work on the logistics of the H&H with the church school and give BYU time to adjust its schedule to make it happen going forward). 

On 8/10/2018 at 11:26 AM, dancingNMSUaggie said:

Still bitter amigo!:tumbleweed:

7-5 NMSU vs 6-6 SMU in a sold-out Frisco Bowl could be fun to watch...that's my guess for NMSU in 2018.

hope y'all beat Liberty twice :-)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

This has all the makings of a great rivalry.  It actually would make sense if NMSU and BYU played a home and home against each other every year.  Helps fuel this tremendous rivalry of similar independents and eases the scheduling concerns of both schools.  Perhaps this is why NMSU scheduled the home and home with Liberty his year (to test the waters and work on the logistics of the H&H with the church school and give BYU time to adjust its schedule to make it happen going forward). 

BYU needs to approach the WCC and see if they would sponsor football.  Last I checked you only needed 6 to make a conference.  Invite SDSU, UNLV, BSU, UNM, NMSU, and Army as a football only. Try and get WSU in the door as well giving us 16 basketball and 7 football members.    

On 8/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

Well, not that it matters in the long run, but NMSU scheduled Liberty twice because they were forced to put together the first indy year schedule on short notice.  NMSU found out they wouldn't be in Sun Belt prior to 2016 season.  That didn't leave a lot of options for the 2018 season.  The schedule is still pretty impressive with Wyoming, USU, UNM, UTEP, and BYU.  It gets better moving forward because opponents have more options for open dates.  In 2021 we already have SDSU, USU, SJSU, Hawaii, Fresno, UNM, UTEP, and UMass.  We will add at least one or two P5 money games and an FCS to fill out.  Having so many games already on tap 4 seasons out helps with recruiting as well to see what level of FBS teams they will have the opportunity to go up against in their career.

12 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Well, not that it matters in the long run, but NMSU scheduled Liberty twice because they were forced to put together the first indy year schedule on short notice.  NMSU found out they wouldn't be in Sun Belt prior to 2016 season.  That didn't leave a lot of options for the 2018 season.  The schedule is still pretty impressive with Wyoming, USU, UNM, UTEP, and BYU.  It gets better moving forward because opponents have more options for open dates.  In 2021 we already have SDSU, USU, SJSU, Hawaii, Fresno, UNM, UTEP, and UMass.  We will add at least one or two P5 money games and an FCS to fill out.  Having so many games already on tap 4 seasons out helps with recruiting as well to see what level of FBS teams they will have the opportunity to go up against in their career.

Has there been any discussion of a rivalry trophy with BYU? For all intents and purposes this game is for the Western Football Independents Chanpionship. 

Just now, OrediggerPoke said:

Has there been any discussion of a rivalry trophy with BYU? For all intents and purposes this game is for the Western Football Independents Chanpionship. 

Nah, we are good playing annually for trophies of one type or another with our 2 nearby rivals, UTEP and UNM.  We only play BYU once a decade or so.

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

2 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Nah, we are good playing annually for trophies of one type or another with our 2 nearby rivals, UTEP and UNM.  We only play BYU once a decade or so.

I noticed that Wyoming is giving NMSU a home-and-home deal, while BYU is scheduling NMSU one-and-done.

I'd be in favor of BYU scheduling NMSU a home-and-home, same as Wyoming.

Also, I'm not sure why a Wyoming fan would belittle NMSU.  Especially since NMSU is a larger enrollment school, that probably has more upside than Wyoming (the State of Wyoming is losing population).  Wyoming is a legacy school in the MWC, but someday, I wouldn't be surprised to see NMSU and Wyoming in the same conference.   It makes a lot of sense, particularly if CSU leaves the MWC, and the MWC needs a replacement.

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I noticed that Wyoming is giving NMSU a home-and-home deal, while BYU is scheduling NMSU one-and-done.

I'd be in favor of BYU scheduling NMSU a home-and-home, same as Wyoming.

Also, I'm not sure why a Wyoming fan would belittle NMSU.  Especially since NMSU is a larger enrollment school, that probably has more upside than Wyoming (the State of Wyoming is losing population).  Wyoming is a legacy school in the MWC, but someday, I wouldn't be surprised to see NMSU and Wyoming in the same conference.   It makes a lot of sense, particularly if CSU leaves the MWC, and the MWC needs a replacement.

MWC schools that have already signed home and home series with NMSU in the next few seasons - UNM, SDSU, USU, Wyoming, Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno State.  That's 7 of the 12 football schools.  Many thanks to the MWC for making independence feasible in the short term.  That sounds better than a full slate of Sun Belt games and there is no comparison to FCS and Big Sky for fans.

19 minutes ago, alum93 said:

MWC schools that have already signed home and home series with NMSU in the next few seasons - UNM, SDSU, USU, Wyoming, Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno State.  That's 7 of the 12 football schools.  Many thanks to the MWC for making independence feasible in the short term.  That sounds better than a full slate of Sun Belt games and there is no comparison to FCS and Big Sky for fans.

alum, do you know which of these games fall after the typical OOC season?  I know Wyoming's games are pre-conference games.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

alum, do you know which of these games fall after the typical OOC season?  I know Wyoming's games are pre-conference games.

For Wyoming, we play this year on Aug 25th at AMS.  The return game isn't until Sep 21st, 2024.  All the other home and homes are through 2021 season.  Here is the 2019 schedule which is complete.  SDSU at home on Sept 14th,  at UNM on Sep 21st,  home against Fresno on Sep 28th.

https://nmstatesports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1234&mobile=skip

Just now, alum93 said:

For Wyoming, we play this year on Aug 25th at AMS.  The return game isn't until Sep 21st, 2024.  All the other home and homes are through 2021 season.  Here is the 2019 schedule which is complete.  SDSU at home on Sept 14th,  at UNM on Sep 21st,  home against Fresno on Sep 28th.

https://nmstatesports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1234&mobile=skip

There's a couple games in the future after conference season starts. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!