Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

Oh Laura Ingram and Fox

I am so glad to live in a part of the country where views like this in all practicality don't exist.  What a sad way to view life.  So now it's not just illegals that bother you, but legal immigrants as well?  Too bad lady.  The country you want to see in your head no longer exists and never will again.  And we are all better off for it.  On the bright side, at least she isn't ranting against Muslims.  She probably saved that rant for another day.  Demographic changes indeed Laura :-)   The 1950's called and they want you back.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/789369/fox-news-laura-ingraham-suggests-legal-illegal-immigration-ruining-america-cnns-chris-cuomo-rebuts

"In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn't exist anymore," Ingraham said. "Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they're changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don't like." She specifically cited "both illegal and in some cases legal immigration."

23 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

This type of thinking has been going on since the nation began in the 1770's.

It seems there is more and more willingness to be open and blatant about it on prime time evening news/opinion shows on a certain network lately.  Not sure why...  

31 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Agreed but I don't know that it is a view that has ever been promoted in major media at any time. I could be wrong, but it always seemed something that was discussed at homes and in the streets, maybe in political rallies, but not proffered by the media.

I would just like to say to Ms. Ingraham that the "America i know and love" exists right now.  We don't need maga hats.  Again?   We are and have been great in my humble opinion for a long time.  We may have issues, but we tend to get thing right more often than not in the long term.  

2 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

As has the change that Ingram is crying about. I think it's ironic that conservatives largely deride the state of the humanities departments in universities (ie history departments), and yet they display astounding historical illiteracy by not operating from the assumption that shit changes over time. Well, either that or they're effing liars. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Fixed it for her:

"Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American [white] people. And they're changes that none of us [white people] ever voted for and most [some] of us [white people] don't like."

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

And not that it matters because this is all over the posturing of a harpy, but it is worth pointing out that Ingram is suggesting that societal change should be based on large-scale political actions (ie, change is only ok or good if we voted for it). That a progressive position. 

So, again, to borrow a phrase: Stupid or liar?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

I am so glad to live in a part of the country where views like this in all practicality don't exist.  What a sad way to view life.  So now it's not just illegals that bother you, but legal immigrants as well?  Too bad lady.  The country you want to see in your head no longer exists and never will again.  And we are all better off for it.  On the bright side, at least she isn't ranting against Muslims.  She probably saved that rant for another day.  Demographic changes indeed Laura :-)   The 1950's called and they want you back.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/789369/fox-news-laura-ingraham-suggests-legal-illegal-immigration-ruining-america-cnns-chris-cuomo-rebuts

"In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn't exist anymore," Ingraham said. "Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they're changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don't like." She specifically cited "both illegal and in some cases legal immigration."

You guys couldn’t even buy a clue with food stamps if your life depended on it. It’s pretty funny that you think our founding fathers wanted the big numbers of illegal immigration to occur to make the US great. We are a nation of immigrants that have laws and procedures to manage this, and to make sure we continue that philosophy in a responsible manner. The GOP has been pro-responsible immigration for decades. Back in the mid 90’s, you had most in the Dem party screaming that immigration was out of control and costing Americans jobs while the GOP was pimping responsible immigration as being important to the greatness of America. That hasn’t changed for the GOP. The Dems, however, have pulled a 180, big time. The bottom line is this. If legal and illegal immigrants were later turning out to vote GOP 95% of the time, you would see an immediate 180 flip back to where they were fighting immigration in the mid-90’s. 

This quote sums it up: 

“All Americans, are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country."

kat.jpg

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

You guys couldn’t even buy a clue with food stamps if your life depended on it. It’s pretty funny that you think our founding fathers wanted the big numbers of illegal immigration to occur to make the US great. We are a nation of immigrants that have laws and procedures to manage this, and to make sure we continue that philosophy in a responsible manner. The GOP has been pro-responsible immigration for decades. Back in the mid 90’s, you had most in the Dem party screaming that immigration was out of control and costing Americans jobs while the GOP was pimping responsible immigration as being important to the greatness of America. That hasn’t changed for the GOP. The Dems, however, have pulled a 180, big time. The bottom line is this. If legal and illegal immigrants were later turning out to vote GOP 95% of the time, you would see an immediate 180 flip back to where they were fighting immigration in the mid-90’s. 

This quote sums it up: 

“All Americans, are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country."

Convert, illegal immigration wasn't a thing when our founding fathers existed. There was only legal immigration until the early 1900s. 

11 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

And not that it matters because this is all over the posturing of a harpy, but it is worth pointing out that Ingram is suggesting that societal change should be based on large-scale political actions (ie, change is only ok or good if we voted for it). That a progressive position. 

So, again, to borrow a phrase: Stupid or liar?

She went to Dartmouth. She has to know that this exact same thing was said about those damn English speakers and then those damn Germans and then those damn Irish and then those damn Catholics and those damn Italians and then those damn Poles and Croatians and those damn Jews. So, liar. 

Or, willfully stupid. People are great at concocting reasons for why what they believe isn't logically inconsistent. She could easily say "well those groups all obviously assimilated in to American culture, didn't they? It's the immigrants now that aren't!" while ignoring the fact that the first generation immigrants often didn't even bother to learn English, segregated themselves into ghettoes, and their presence profoundly changed what we consider "American" in the first place. It's easy to look at 5th generation immigrants and say "Bam assimilated" and look at 1st generation immigrants and say "not assimilating!" even if it is a faulty comparison. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

This quote sums it up: 

She's speaking of more than just illegal immigration here. I think there is more than just political considerations involved here.

19 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

She's speaking of more than just illegal immigration here. I think there is more than just political considerations involved here.

Especially from Ms. "Secretly infiltrate the on-campus LBGT organization and out every member in the school paper"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Fixed it for her:

"Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American [white] people. And they're changes that none of us [white people] ever voted for and most [some] of us [white people] don't like."

When i worked in Michigan way back in the day,  the older union workers would talk about the "glory days".   GM made over 50% of the vehicles sold in US at one time.  Ford had cash.  Then it all started changing.  By the time the 90s came around,  GM market share had been sinking for over a decade.  The Toyotas and Hondas of the world were cleaning their clocks with better quality for the same price.  If you live out west, especially on the coast where nearly everyone drives foreign cars, it's quite a site to move to a union town in upper Michigan.  They don't take kindly to foreign vehicles.  Well,  the world changed around them and the Big Three figured out that paying $30-50/hr to turn a bolt on an assembly line could be done for a fraction of that, with same exact (or better) quality pretty much anywhere else in the world, including 1 mile over the southern border.  I still remember as a young kid fresh out of college being told that GM could never go under.  They were wrong, they never adjusted, and the ones that grew up thinking those same jobs would be available with no more than a high school degree were in for a rude awakening.  That was over 25 years ago.

The argument from Ingram is exactly the same.  She is behind the times by 50 years and longing for a time long gone.  As i have pointed out, we are better off because of massive immigration.  We are a nation of immigrants.  Today the argument is Mexicans.  Tomorrow it will be someone else.  We as a nation are always growing, changing, innovating.  Yesterday's Blockbuster is tomorrow's Netflix.  That will never stop.  For those that can't accept it, that can't stand seeing more people in their cities, towns, and neighborhoods with darker skin than theirs, i am talking to you Ms. Ingram, i feel for you.  Life is too short to be so bitter.

I love the tweets in this article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/laura-ingraham-targets-even-legal-051109906.html

A few of my favorites.

She just said the quiet part out loud again

when you build an immunity to regular racism and need that pure nazi sh*t

oh cool so fox news isn’t even trying to hide it anymore they’re just openly saying they want a white ethnostate . gotta hear both sides i guess !

Laura Ingraham is coming for that top spot on the Fox News White Nationalist Power Rankings. Tucker Carlson, watch your back!

The USA didn’t have 300 million people after WW1. The country needed a lot more people to develop. I grew up in the fifties in Los Angeles. Where we lived in the Lawndale area there were large open fields where we used to shoot bow and arrows and play. Most of my friends were Hispanic and race was never an issue. No one even remotely thought about it. The beach was a 3-4 mile bike ride. Malibu and Venice Beach were cozy little beach cities where middle class people owned beach homes. We used to ride the bus through Watts to go watch the Rams, Bruins, and Trojans in the Coliseum and never were hassled. Our first house cost $8,000. Disneyland was surrounded by orange groves. 

In the 60s and 70s TRW, Mattel, etc. built large factories that covered the fields we played in. Malibu got taken over by Hollywood celebrities, and Venice Beach became a big tourist trap. Our favorite beach Manhattan Beach gradually got taken over by the rich.

To think things are better now is more than a stretch. Large masses of people have moved to LA and housing prices are outrageous. The last time I was in Watts was with a surveying party and some dude pulled a knife out and told us to get the hell out of the neighborhood. I haven’t been back to the old neighborhood in thirty years. I’ll bet I wouldn’t even recognize it.

I understand things never stand still and change is inevitable, but the population of the USA has gotten to the point that water and other resources are becoming a lot more scarce.  So, when people get nostalgic and say they would like to return to the 50s, they have a valid point even though those days are gone forever, and IMO not for the better.

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The USA didn’t have 300 million people after WW1. The country needed a lot more people to develop. I grew up in the fifties in Los Angeles. Where we lived in the Lawndale area there were large open fields where we used to shoot bow and arrows and play. The beach was a 3-4 mile bike ride. Malibu and Venice Beach were cozy little beach cities where middle class people owned beach homes. We used to ride the bus through Watts to go watch the Rams, Bruins, and Trojans in the Coliseum and never were hassled. Our first house cost $8,000. 

In the 60s and 70s TRW, Mattel, etc. built large factories that covered the fields we played in. Malibu got taken over by Hollywood celebrities, and Venice Beach became a big tourist trap. Our favorite beach Manhattan Beach gradually got taken over by the rich.

To think things are better now is more than a stretch. Large masses of people have moved to LA and housing prices are outrageous. The last time I was in Watts was with a surveying party and some dude pulled a knife out and told us to get the hell out of the neighborhood. I haven’t been back to the old neighborhood in thirty years. I’ll bet I wouldn’t even recognize it.

I understand things never stand still and change is inevitable, but the population of the USA has gotten to the point that water and other resources are becoming a lot more scarce.  So, when people get nostalgic and say they would like to return to the 50s, they have a valid point even though those days are gone forever. 

Yeap, that is the basically the speech i heard from old union workers in the early 90s.  I disagreed with them then and i disagree now.  It's all perspective.  The sky is still the limit and you can achieve whatever your heart desires.  More importantly and on this thread,  Ms. Ingram's rhetoric and comments on immigration has no place on a major news channel like Fox.  It belongs on the fringe, a la Alex Jones.

I never disrespected the union folks.  Most at that time were 20-30 years older and the whole retire at 20 or 25 years with full benefits while making coin standing on an assembly line were already disappearing.  They just didn't like it and were mad that the jobs were leaving.  Michigan was one of the hardest hit states in the great crash of 2008 years later.

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I grew up in the fifties in Los Angeles. Where we lived in the Lawndale area there were large open fields where we used to shoot bow and arrows and play. Most of my friends were Hispanic and race was never an issue. No one even remotely thought about it.

Oh, they thought about it. They just didn't talk to you about it. 

6 hours ago, alum93 said:

what part of the country do you live?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

what part of the country do you live?

The sunny southwest.  i did a tour of duty so to speak in Michigan in the early 90s.  30 months.  I underestimated how much i loved warm weather year around.  I won't make the same mistake twice.  Those winters were beyond brutal.  Cold from Nov-April, 6 months, not including spells in Oct and May.  Sports were awesome though.  4 hours or less from Chicago, Detroit, Toronto.  Michigan Wolverines less than 2 hours.  Pro teams and college teams all around.  That was really fun, just not enough to put up with grey skies and no sun.