Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

IMO, Nevada holds the key to Gonzaga, as Thompson still wants 12/12

Thompson's statement at MWC media days that he's open to a 12th Olympic sports member was telling. Why would he keep going there? It was strategic. While the WCC gave in to Gonzaga's wishes, the possibility of another Western power basketball conference is just too enticing (to the Zags) if that is perceived as a possibility down the road.

With that obvious goal in mind, I can't undersell the importance of Nevada's season this year. If Muss brings them to the F4 or beyond, Nevada legitimately sits on the verge of becoming another Wichita State/Gonzaga type power program. It all hinges on Muss becoming a Marshall/Few type stalwart coach who makes Nevada his legacy. That becomes a strong probability if he takes the team to the promised land.

Consequently, the MW becomes increasingly desirable for Gonzaga because the Zags are really tired of pulling all the weight in their league. IF Nevada keeps pulling in McDonald's AA's, that would be extremely attractive because it sets the table for the rest of the conference to improve as well. And, it already looks like SDSU, New Mexico, Boise, etc, aren't far away in a perennial 1-bid league. 

A duo of Gonzaga-Nevada immediately makes the MWC a multiple-bid league. Having what is perceived to be an automatic 2, makes it a lot more conceivable that the MW can get 3-4. That's a foothold that Gonzaga hasn't had. As good as St Mary has been, they haven't been anything more than a bubble team. They haven't been a recruiting juggernaut. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it will be easy. Nevertheless, the arenas and fanbases of the MW (combined with another legit power program) would give Gonzaga the much bigger stage its program has deserved all these years. If some of the other programs blow up as well, it could lead to a MW renaissance that ultimately challenges the Pac for recruits and bids. 

However, it all starts with Nevada this year. The position Muss has them in is really the biggest (and most overlooked) story of 2018-2019. 

If all the stars align and Nevada plays unconscious this year and Gonzaga does come over as #12... BYU has a lot to think about too. Don't think that BYU wouldn't want that recruiting bump from joining what would likely be considered a high major basketball conference.    

I'm still holding out hope that we can add them in the future, either way I really wish we could've played them this season. Would've been a great game.

Not just Nevada.  The success of UNM and SDSU this year will be a huge part of it.  I think the MW is a legitimate 3 bid league with those schools but those schools have to sustain that success and our TV or digital streaming deal HAS to bring in more money. A strong basketball league is great and does wonders for our reputation/ recruiting but our TV/Streaming deal has to give us the ability to bring in a successful program like Gonzaga and be able to give them enough money that they don’t have second thoughts about leaving the WCC

Not. Gonna. Happen.

That ship has sailed. The MWC can’t sit around waiting for them... especially in your scenario where Nevada is F4 team.

Why would Nevada want to share top billing with another team? That’s why Gonzaga stayed in their conference, being top dog has its privileges.

Besides, if the Wolfpack did become a F4 team, Muss will be high on several P5/NBA team’s coaching list... Muss won’t turn down millions of dollars just to stay in Nevada.

If the MWC can get its big three back up to snuff (SDSU, UNLV, and UNM), and the lower part of the leagues gets much stronger as well, we won’t need the zags. They will get to the dance in a one bid wcc, that’s why they stayed there. The MWC can return to being a consistent 3/4 bid league just fine without them.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On the topic of the Zags to the MW, I thought Thompson's attempt was a weak, kind of half-assed attempt.  And then talking about the media--when he was the one who brought it up--was just laughable.

It was pretty easy for the WCC to effectively counter the MW.  Fact is that there just isn't/wasn't a significant difference between the leagues to get the Zags to make the move.  And I always chuckle about the : if we can just get our 4 top teams to compete for the tourney and then the bottom teams to improve . . .   Yeah, let me know when the MW becomes a consistent multi-year bid conference. And anyone who really thinks the Zags didn't join the MW because Mark Few just wants to be top-dog in a mid-major conference is just ignorant.  He would love to join a better/power conference.  Anyone who understands sports knows that you want better competition.

Now for the BYU point. While clearly the Zags were not in any way tied to BYU, I thought if the MW really wanted to make a move for the Zags they should have tried for both the Zags and BYU for BB and Oly sports. While not linked, the Zags and BYU have formed a very good relationship. Few goes out of his way to compliment BYU and alawys talks aboutthe big-time venue/atmosphere when the Zags play in Provo. They even hired a BYU coach to become head coach of their women soccer team.

While football obviously runs the show, adding BYU and the Zags for BB would be a big deal (yes, mainly the Zags). And BYU's other sports are very good which doesn't hurt. And I think it also might help ward-off a dangerous future football scenario.  While BYU will be indy for at least a few more years, if they do join a non-P5 confernece, the AAC is a distinct possibility. What happens if the AAC (clearly an already better FB conference than the MW) gets BYU and then makes a play for, say, Boise?   And maybe the Zags want to play in a BB conference with UCONN, et. al.  I think if BYU were already a member of the MW for the other sports it increases the likelihood they join for FB if they join a conference.

Any way, my BYU-centered 2 cents. BYU haters commence.

9 hours ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

Thompson's statement at MWC media days that he's open to a 12th Olympic sports member was telling. Why would he keep going there? It was strategic. While the WCC gave in to Gonzaga's wishes, the possibility of another Western power basketball conference is just too enticing (to the Zags) if that is perceived as a possibility down the road.

With that obvious goal in mind, I can't undersell the importance of Nevada's season this year. If Muss brings them to the F4 or beyond, Nevada legitimately sits on the verge of becoming another Wichita State/Gonzaga type power program. It all hinges on Muss becoming a Marshall/Few type stalwart coach who makes Nevada his legacy. That becomes a strong probability if he takes the team to the promised land.

Consequently, the MW becomes increasingly desirable for Gonzaga because the Zags are really tired of pulling all the weight in their league. IF Nevada keeps pulling in McDonald's AA's, that would be extremely attractive because it sets the table for the rest of the conference to improve as well. And, it already looks like SDSU, New Mexico, Boise, etc, aren't far away in a perennial 1-bid league. 

A duo of Gonzaga-Nevada immediately makes the MWC a multiple-bid league. Having what is perceived to be an automatic 2, makes it a lot more conceivable that the MW can get 3-4. That's a foothold that Gonzaga hasn't had. As good as St Mary has been, they haven't been anything more than a bubble team. They haven't been a recruiting juggernaut. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it will be easy. Nevertheless, the arenas and fanbases of the MW (combined with another legit power program) would give Gonzaga the much bigger stage its program has deserved all these years. If some of the other programs blow up as well, it could lead to a MW renaissance that ultimately challenges the Pac for recruits and bids. 

However, it all starts with Nevada this year. The position Muss has them in is really the biggest (and most overlooked) story of 2018-2019. 

If all the stars align and Nevada plays unconscious this year and Gonzaga does come over as #12... BYU has a lot to think about too. Don't think that BYU wouldn't want that recruiting bump from joining what would likely be considered a high major basketball conference.    

Right.  Gonzaga got exactly what they wanted from the WCC, and now they will leave after one more great year from Nevada.  Makes sense.

5 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Not. Gonna. Happen.

That ship has sailed. The MWC can’t sit around waiting for them... especially in your scenario where Nevada is F4 team.

Why would Nevada want to share top billing with another team? That’s why Gonzaga stayed in their conference, being top dog has its privileges.

Besides, if the Wolfpack did become a F4 team, Muss will be high on several P5/NBA team’s coaching list... Muss won’t turn down millions of dollars just to stay in Nevada.

If the MWC can get its big three back up to snuff (SDSU, UNLV, and UNM), and the lower part of the leagues gets much stronger as well, we won’t need the zags. They will get to the dance in a one bid wcc, that’s why they stayed there. The MWC can return to being a consistent 3/4 bid league just fine without them.

I don't agree. Muss would like to have Gonzaga in the conference for all the reasons stated above. Adding a legit national program is like a rising tide lifting all ships. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

@battle.borne I agree with your statement about a rising tide and all, but in regards to Muss staying... if his alma mater or huge P5 school, or an NBA team were to offer him, 3-5 mil a year or more... you think he’d still stay, even if he knew that Gonzaga said they’ll join the MW (hypothetically), in say 3-5 years? 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, battle.borne said:

I don't agree. Muss would like to have Gonzaga in the conference for all the reasons stated above. Adding a legit national program is like a rising tide lifting all ships. 

What Muss wants has very little to do with whether or not Gonzaga joins the MW.

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

@battle.borne I agree with your statement about a rising tide and all, but in regards to Muss staying... if his alma mater or huge P5 school, or an NBA team were to offer him, 3-5 mil a year or more... you think he’d still stay, even if he knew that Gonzaga said they’ll join the MW (hypothetically), in say 3-5 years? 

The school I’m most worried about is UCLA. If they fire your old coach they will likely take a run at Muss.  His Alma Mater is the University of San Diego and he came here over going there 3 years ago.  I want Muss to stay long term but my guess is after this season he will be offered a dump truck of cash somewhere and will take it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The only key Nevada holds is the key to the bowling alley bathroom.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

16 hours ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

Are you drunk?

in 19 seasons, the MW has has 3 seasons with one bid, 5 three bid seasons, 1 four bid season and 1 five bid season. the rest are two bid seasons

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

16 hours ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

LOL. "automatic 2".

You're definitely drunk

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Thompson didn't spill the beans about Gonzaga..The news was already out and he confirmed it when asked by a reporter.

I don't  think there was ever a moment when Gonzaga was even considering moving to the MW..They were blackmailing the WCC into a better deal.

They have a fine basketball program but I am unconvinced they are the type of school you want as a business partner..

11 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Muss is gone after this year. Train wreck is one season away. If he stays he knows he's looking at a multi-year rebuild. The transfer model isn't sustainable, especially when you've stacked your roster with upperclassmen; 6 seniors, 4 juniors ( mostly xfers from lower tier programs) and a "1-and-done" ( theoretically), no sophs and a couple of freshmen that will never see the floor.

Maybe Muss is a Soooper Genius. Maybe he'll bring in another fleet of transfers and delay the inevitable reckoning. I wouldn't count on it though.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke