Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

this could be a game changer for college basketball

5 hours ago, PokeTransplant said:

What are coaches suppose to do about recruiting while waiting for the draft?  Keep a scholly open "just in case"?

Yes.  Unless you know for sure a player is gone even if they go undrafted, it's best to keep a scholly open just in case.  A Cam Oliver, a James Webb, would've likely returned to school if this option was available for them.

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

No. The baseball draft is perfect. Options galore for kids. 

No, it isn’t perfect, and there are not options galore. Being eligible for the draft after each season would be options galore. 

Let me get his straight and somebody correct me if I'm wrong. So underclassmen who have draft potential are pretty much able to use an agent to follow through the pre draft process? And if the doesn't work out and decide to return to school, they agent deal is terminated until the next season? 

Changes sound pretty good to me 

Related image

14 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Baseball players should lobby to change that rule that forces them to stay for 3 years if they go to college.

They won’t because it doesn’t apply to JUCOs.  You could go to a JUCO and leave after one or two years.  Also, if you’re a 21 year old sophomore, you can leave a university after two years.

8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

No, it isn’t perfect, and there are not options galore. Being eligible for the draft after each season would be options galore. 

Nothing is perfect. You have a number of options to become draft eligible. Hell, you can play another sport, attend college, and still play baseball during the summer. You would be hard pressed to find negative press about the MLBs draft!

45 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

They won’t because it doesn’t apply to JUCOs.  You could go to a JUCO and leave after one or two years.  Also, if you’re a 21 year old sophomore, you can leave a university after two years.

Hell, you can leave your HS team, get a GED and get drafted EARLY. In baseball, if you’re good, and they want you, there’s a way. 

23 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Nothing is perfect. You have a number of options to become draft eligible. Hell, you can play another sport, attend college, and still play baseball during the summer. You would be hard pressed to find negative press about the MLBs draft!

The players are still being taken advantage of. There is no legitimate reason why they should have to wait 3 years to be eligible if they enroll in college. 

8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The players are still being taken advantage of. There is no legitimate reason why they should have to wait 3 years to be eligible if they enroll in college. 

Who has to wait three years? A player can leave BEFORE they graduate from HS, after, or anywhere in between. Hell, they don’t even have to go to high school. They can quit baseball and be signed too. The fact that a player can be drafted and wants leverage to return BACK to school because they don’t like an $$MLB offer tells you all you need to know about the draft. I have no idea what you are arguing. 

5 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Who has to wait three years? A player can leave BEFORE they graduate from HS, after, or anywhere in between. Hell, they don’t even have to go to high school. They can quit baseball and be signed too. The fact that a player can be drafted and wants leverage to return BACK to school because they don’t like an $$MLB offer tells you all you need to know about the draft. I have no idea what you are arguing. 

That if a player enrolls in a four year (like the vast majority of players do) they shouldn’t have to wait three years to be draft eligible. I thought my point was pretty obvious when I said “there is no reason they should have to wait 3 years to be draft eligible if they enroll In college”, but whatever.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

That if a player enrolls in a four year (like the vast majority of players do) they shouldn’t have to wait three years to be draft eligible. I thought my point was pretty obvious when I said “there is no reason they should have to wait 3 years to be draft eligible if they enroll In college”, but whatever.

Your understanding of why or why it’s not advantageous to enroll in a 4 year program is lacking. That’s a GOOD thing for draftees. It’s called leverage. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Your understanding of why or why it’s not advantageous to enroll in a 4 year program is lacking. That’s a GOOD thing for draftees. It’s called leverage. 

...... yea..... and I think they should be draft eligible every year..... which would give them even more leverage......

The thing about some rule changes however it is based on NBA rule changes that have to be negotiated and they might not be until the next collective bargaining agreement is over which is about 5 years away I believe. USA basketball has also told NCAA they are not set up for what NCAA wants them to do and never agreed to do it.  Sounds like USA basketball, NBA and NBA players assocation are a little miffed with the NCAA since they didn't agree with those rule changes.

Also agents have to be certified with NCAA but no plans on how they were going to do that.

For enforcement though this is an interesting change:

"People charged with investigating and resolving NCAA cases can accept information established by another administrative body, including a court of law, government agency, accrediting body or a commission authorized by a school. This will save time and resources previously used to confirm information already adjudicated by another group."

On 8/8/2018 at 9:52 AM, jdgaucho said:

I like that most of these changes are effective immediately, and that others are waiting on the NBA to adjust their rules.

Which won't happen for a few years if they do. NBA it appears never agreed they would change their rules and some of them have to be negotiated with the players assocation.