Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

OT: University of Tulsa Athletic Dept budget cuts

Guest #1Stunner

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tusportsextra/bill-haisten-derrick-gragg-philip-montgomery-and-frank-haith-accept/article_833b8a0b-9b60-5982-be6d-ecda78465987.html

Looks like the University of Tulsa is experience major budget problems.  To address it, the Athletic Director, Basketball Coach, and Football Coach are all taking pay cuts.  And Tulsa is going to start doing more 1 and done "money games" with P5 opponents.

Problem is that they have limited revenue sources.

TU also is hopeful that the next American Athletic Conference television deal is more lucrative. At the end of the 2016-17 college sports calendar, the Orlando Sentinel reported, South Florida received the most significant share at $8.9 million. TU’s share was $4.9 million.

The AAC’s current television deal expires in two years. Conference officials are preparing for the next negotiation of a contract that would take effect with the start of the 2020 football season.

“We’re just not getting anywhere near what we deserve in TV,” AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco told the Sentinel in June. “It’s a throwback to that five-year-ago period when we were very unstable and the whole situation was unstable, and that’s just not remotely true now.

“I think at the time, I don’t think anyone realized how powerful our schools could become. We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference, and now it’s a question of (making) sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going.”

If they're a public university and the ad is taking subsidies from the students and/or the academic side then no f×cks are given. Live within your means. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

26 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

If they're a public university and the ad is taking subsidies from the students and/or the academic side then no f×cks are given. Live within your means. 

Isn't that like 80% of schools, even the P5 ones?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Tulsa is a private university founded by Presbyterians to educate natives in the late nineteenth century.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tulsa#History .  Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are the publicly funded universities in Oklahoma; no state has quite the history Oklahoma does. 

Tulsa, in a good year, is the second or third best AAC West football team.

The AAC West has three private universities that are generally not that consistent at FBS football (Tulsa, SMU and Tulane) + Navy (specialized public located in Annapolis, Maryland).   Private universities with small enrollments who want to compete at the FBS level inherently must spend a lot to play at that level - concern about budget cuts at a private university is silly because it does not impact the community of Tulsa that significantly, nor are taxpayers on the hook.

The AAC's on the field strength is based on having two big public schools with decent football teams in each division.  Memphis and Houston are big public universities and they tend to dominate the AAC West.   The AAC East has UCF and USF who dominate the four northeastern schools who are essentially happy to be in a major-ish collegiate athletic conference.

If Fresno St and SDSU both (for example) could equal and sustain the success that Memphis and Houston have had recently, the MW will become the better on the field conference - by far - due to the consistent quality of play in the Mountain division being much better than the AAC West.

P5 might not even have to do more than sit back and watch the G5 go bankrupt and thin their own ranks - Could see some G5 schools cut back to where they are FCS level or even drop FB

TV won't rescue the G5 

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

Tulsa is a private university founded by Presbyterians to educate natives in the late nineteenth century.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tulsa#History .  Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are the publicly funded universities in Oklahoma; no state has quite the history Oklahoma does. 

Tulsa, in a good year, is the second or third best AAC West football team.

The AAC West has three private universities that are generally not that consistent at FBS football (Tulsa, SMU and Tulane) + Navy (specialized public located in Annapolis, Maryland).   Private universities with small enrollments who want to compete at the FBS level inherently must spend a lot to play at that level - concern about budget cuts at a private university is silly because it does not impact the community of Tulsa that significantly, nor are taxpayers on the hook.

The AAC's on the field strength is based on having two big public schools with decent football teams in each division.  Memphis and Houston are big public universities and they tend to dominate the AAC West.   The AAC East has UCF and USF who dominate the four northeastern schools who are essentially happy to be in a major-ish collegiate athletic conference.

If Fresno St and SDSU both (for example) could equal and sustain the success that Memphis and Houston have had recently, the MW will become the better on the field conference - by far - due to the consistent quality of play in the Mountain division being much better than the AAC West.

Is there a reason you like to recite well-known, obvious facts, that everyone on here already knows?

16 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Is there a reason you like to recite well-known, obvious facts, that everyone on here already knows?

Some times people need reminding, like how I need to remind you BYU creamery ice cream pales in comparison to Aggie Ice cream. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Some times people need reminding, like how I need to remind you BYU creamery ice cream pales in comparison to Aggie Ice cream. 

Here are my ratings:

(1) Farr's (the founder was classically trained in Ice Cream manufacture at USU)

(2) Aggie Ice Cream 

(3) BYU Creamery

3 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Isn't that like 80% of schools, even the P5 ones?

Viktor is a conflicted fan.  He is a sports fan but he is of the opinion that athletics generally do more harm than good for the school and investment in things like facilities are generally a bad idea.  Reno has a lot of fans like that unfortunately and it has really hampered their Athletic Department. 

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

“We’re just not getting anywhere near what we deserve in TV,” AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco told the Sentinel in June

He's right, they're not getting what they deserve. Just not in the way he thinks, though.

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Viktor is a conflicted fan.  He is a sports fan but he is of the opinion that athletics generally do more harm than good for the school and investment in things like facilities are generally a bad idea.  Reno has a lot of fans like that unfortunately and it has really hampered their Athletic Department. 

A fair assessment.  I love college football (and basketball & hockey to a lesser degree), but I also consider them to be corrupting influences on their universities that can cause huge negative pr problems and have become significant financial sinkholes at many, if not most, schools. Does that make me a hypocrite come football season?  Perhaps, but who said life was all neat and cut and dried. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's not so much the fans, it's the admin.  We're hoping if BB does well any gains from nat'l exposure will change their minds & they can see the advantages to a strong ath dept..  

On 8/8/2018 at 3:54 PM, Victor Maitlin said:

A fair assessment.  I love college football (and basketball & hockey to a lesser degree), but I also consider them to be corrupting influences on their universities that can cause huge negative pr problems and have become significant financial sinkholes at many, if not most, schools. Does that make me a hypocrite come football season?  Perhaps, but who said life was all neat and cut and dried. 

A successful athletic department can be one of the best marketing tools for a university and financial sinkholes come in many forms for a university, but those areas of a university that drain finances often offer the most cultural impact for a community. Arts and humanities are on that list. 

1 hour ago, wolfan8431 said:

It's not so much the fans, it's the admin.  We're hoping if BB does well any gains from nat'l exposure will change their minds & they can see the advantages to a strong ath dept..  

You're struggling to sell out your season tickets.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

You're struggling to sell out your season tickets.

We're already at over 8,000 sold (not including students), and Lawlor only seats 11,500. We'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

A successful athletic department can be one of the best marketing tools for a university and financial sinkholes come in many forms for a university, but those areas of a university that drain finances often offer the most cultural impact for a community. Arts and humanities are on that list. 

And indeed currently under construction is a $35M, 42,500sq' arts building added to Church Fine Arts.  Also set to break ground this summer is the new $90M+ engineering bldg.  Probably at least 1/2 of that money came from donations.  So I guess you could make the argument that Reno funds academics rather then athletics.