Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

What the hell, Spartans?

27 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

I took a look at old scores and best I can tell, the last time San Jose lost to a FCS/1AA team was in 1978 to Boise State.

How many Mountain West teams can make that claim?

SJSU lost to UC-Davis 14-13 in 2010. Still, 32 years between losses to 1AA/FCS teams is a pretty good run for a non-P5 school. 2010 was Mike MacIntyre's first season at SJSU and as a head coach. The 2010 UC-Davis team went 6-5.

Champ Logo.jpg

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'll enjoy watching the Dogs still waiting for their PAC invite when my alma mater is in the conference. 

I don’t really follow Davis, but I think someone mentioned they’ve been struggling pretty mightily since recently moving up to FCS. I may be wrong, but I thought someone posted that on here. Either way, good luck vs SJSU. It’s going to be a serious battle of the titans. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

What are the attendance projections for this game?

Opening game for Sharta but FCS opponent. 

I say 5k BITS. (Yeah, that’s sounds like a real football program there.)

Im actually going with UC Davis in this one. 

Both teams will have a horrible and almost comical defense. But Dan Hawkins is coaching UC Davis, this his second season and nobody gets a team fired up like the Zen master coach. 

I have UC Davis pulling out the win in a close game with defensive highlights that might end up on comedy central. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

58 minutes ago, WilliamHicks said:

Both teams will have a horrible and almost comical defense. But Dan Hawkins is coaching UC Davis, this his second season and nobody gets a team fired up like the Zen master coach. 

I have UC Davis pulling out the win in a close game with defensive highlights that might end up on comedy central. 

Problem is that Hawk hasn't done anything since he left Boise.  Not a single winning season including a disastrous stint in Montreal.  I hope he can turn it around and beat the Vandals regularly.  Giving San Jose a run for their money would be a decent start.

5 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Problem is that Hawk hasn't done anything since he left Boise.  Not a single winning season including a disastrous stint in Montreal.  I hope he can turn it around and beat the Vandals regularly.  Giving San Jose a run for their money would be a decent start.

And the worst color commentator I can remember. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

12 hours ago, WilliamHicks said:

Our D should be improved over last year. Mostly because of more depth. The D front last year had several injuries and the depth was so bad they had to pull 3rd string O line players to play D line. Unless there are some crazy surprises I don't see the top end talent being there for this to be a good D, but if they can stay healthy we just might pull off average. The bigger question is the Offense and some key positions, but average D should be good enough to beat Davis. 

7 hours ago, SF-SJSU02 said:

Our D should be improved over last year. Mostly because of more depth. The D front last year had several injuries and the depth was so bad they had to pull 3rd string O line players to play D line. Unless there are some crazy surprises I don't see the top end talent being there for this to be a good D, but if they can stay healthy we just might pull off average. The bigger question is the Offense and some key positions, but average D should be good enough to beat Davis. 

Didn’t you lose the guy that made almost every tackle on defense last year? You also lost Chachere and McKnight in the backfield who were pretty damn good before mysteriously regressing last year. 

No mystery why they regressed, the depth of the team around them was terrible, and they were in the backfield trying to cover both the run and the pass. Not a path to success. The loss of Tago our leading tackler will hurt, and that is the top end talent we are lacking to be a good defense. There are some JC transfers and young guys that should help give the position more depth. The secondary will be the biggest mystery come game one, but that is one of the few positions that SJSU tends to recruit well consistently, so I am not too worried about them. Besides if we can't stop the run, who cares about your secondary nobody needs to pass.

52 minutes ago, SF-SJSU02 said:

No mystery why they regressed, the depth of the team around them was terrible, and they were in the backfield trying to cover both the run and the pass. Not a path to success. The loss of Tago our leading tackler will hurt, and that is the top end talent we are lacking to be a good defense. There are some JC transfers and young guys that should help give the position more depth. The secondary will be the biggest mystery come game one, but that is one of the few positions that SJSU tends to recruit well consistently, so I am not too worried about them. Besides if we can't stop the run, who cares about your secondary nobody needs to pass.

I was talking about Ginda, but Tago was a loss as well. You lost pretty much every major player on your defense from last year....which might not be a bad thing. 

17 hours ago, WilliamHicks said:

If you guys lose to UC Davis you should just fill out the Big Sky Conference application and mail it in. 

Image result for return to sender

18 hours ago, SF-SJSU02 said:

Tago’s last year was 2016....

On 8/8/2018 at 1:53 PM, smltwnrckr said:

I'll enjoy watching the Dogs still waiting for their PAC invite when my alma mater is in the conference. 

Isn't your alma mater also Devin Nunes'? If so, at this point in time it's no wonder you'e going incognito about it.

As to SJSU, I really couldn't care less if the Spartans lose to Davis. Each such embarrassment to the conference makes it a little more possible the other presidents will consider writing SAN!!! a check to get them to go away.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:00 PM, WilliamHicks said:

Comical DEFENSE? You're being too kind to SJSU's offense. Per fowl's link, at least one computer is predicting that SAN!!! will have difficulty scoring in double digits against its middling FCS opponent. Then again . . .

With apologies to Dan Patrick . . . Stats of the Day! Stats of the Day! Here's the Stats of the Day! - Of the Spartans' 11 2017 losses, 7 were by 4 TDs or more with the losses to their two P5 opponents being by a combined score of 110-16.

Boom goes the dynamite.