Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Sports Illustrated's Really Weird Preseason Top 25

Hold on folks, it's about to get weird up in here. 

1. Clemson
  2. Alabama
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Washington
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Georgia
  7. Penn State
  8. Auburn
  9. Ohio State
  10. West Virginia
  11. Michigan State
  12. Stanford
  13. Miami
  14. TCU
  15. Michigan
  16. Notre Dame
  17. UCF
  18. FSU
  19. Arizona
  20. Houston
  21. Mississippi State
  22. Texas
  23. LSU
  24. NC State
  25. FAU

Even discounting how absolutely bizarre it is to see FAU in a top-25 given how terrible they've been... forever, there are weird things in here.

• Texas and Houston even being in the top 25 at all is weird.
  • Penn State is way overranked and should probably be in the 10-15 range given their question marks and lack of Saquon.
  • Alabama, for as much as I hate to say this, has no business not being #1.
  • Oh, and WTF to Arizona being not only on the list, but in the top 20? They can't play defense to save their lives.
  • The only reason I can see ranking Ohio State out of the top four is that they're assuming Meyer won't be coaching. 

I think SI just wanted to post a bunch of hot takes to get clicks. Gotta love how wacky preseason polls can get.

They had Oregon State #1 one year too. 2001 I think...when Fresno beat the shit out of them in Bulldog Stadium I think. 

This is kind of par for the course. 

Texas is a head scratcher.  The media is desperate for them to be relevant again, I guess.  Ohio State out of the top 4 is definitely Meyer related. In any event, Wisconsin should be above the pedsters.  Harbaugh still 4th in his division though.:rotflmfao:

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

On the SI website they also have "Playoff Rankings" which are different than their Pre-Season Poll from the original post:

Link: https://www.si.com/college-football/polls

Rankings of note:

Clemson #1

Alabama #4

UCF #12

Washington State #18 ?!?!

Memphis #20

Boise State #25

Unranked:  Houston (#20 in their Pre-Season Poll) FAU (#25 in their Pre-Season Poll)

Wow...

2 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

On the SI website they also have "Playoff Rankings" which are different than their Pre-Season Poll from the original post:

Link: https://www.si.com/college-football/polls

Rankings of note:

Clemson #1

Alabama #4

UCF #12

Washington State #18 ?!?!

Memphis #20

Boise State #25

Unranked:  Houston (#20 in their Pre-Season Poll) FAU (#25 in their Pre-Season Poll)

Wow...

I think that's last year's final playoff ranking.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

yeah upon reflection this was almost certainly written by a majority east coast panel of people who go to bed at 10 PM on saturday.   Haven't forgotten SDSU being ranked by several voters after back to back pummelings at home from boise and fresno because they had (by their own admission) gone to bed before the game had even started.