Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Now the Trump administration wants to limit citizenship for legal immigrants

20 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

It’s just plain awful that the US would expect that a reasonable % of immigrants that we offer citizenship to would be valuable contributors. How could we expect at least some efficiency out of them? It doesn’t matter that we have a huge national debt, we should be handing out billions in benefits to anyone that wants to come and get them. I’m so upset that I need a hug. That’s a lot of money to be investing in future votes for Dems, but it’s so worth it.

Those people are still paying taxes, and it applies to more people than you would think. We're talking about people on green cards who took W2 or 1099 jobs without insurance, and then had to get onto ObamaCare insurance plans, and guess what... this applies to ObamaCare recipients. 

15 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Im not sure other people in this thread do either.

This guy who used a fake passport but got it "absolved" is in all likelihood a lot more complicated than the writer and Haitian saying "he was cleared of wrongdoing".

That one is not clear cut true. From my reading he confessed to doing it right away, early in the process, and was still allowed entry. I'm inclined to trust this case more than other cases. That said as smltwn said Steven Miller is a ghoul. His goal is less nonwhite people period. I don't know how the hell all these whackos keep getting in to leadership positions, that is possibly the worst thing about Trump.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

trumpbeans.jpg

That tale seems apocryphal to me... 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

So I think you guys need to rephrase this because this seems to be what you want here - 
New Immigrants and previously undocumented people, who get citizenship, should automatically be able to get welfare, social security and medical benefits immediately.  
And if we can just take the resources from current American, mostly US born citizens.   

Thats what your saying here.  Heck, I'm sure there's an easy billion people in the world who would love to step in and start getting these benefits. 

7 minutes ago, pokerider said:

So I think you guys need to rephrase this because this seems to be what you want here - 
New Immigrants and previously undocumented people, who get citizenship, should automatically be able to get welfare, social security and medical benefits immediately.  
And if we can just take the resources from current American, mostly US born citizens.   

Thats what your saying here.  Heck, I'm sure there's an easy billion people in the world who would love to step in and start getting these benefits. 

What does this have to do with the fact that Stephen Miller digs up the graves of children in order to sustain his own essence?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 hours ago, pokerider said:

Do you have any understanding of this situation?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

That one is not clear cut true. From my reading he confessed to doing it right away, early in the process, and was still allowed entry. I'm inclined to trust this case more than other cases. That said as smltwn said Steven Miller is a ghoul. His goal is less nonwhite people period. I don't know how the hell all these whackos keep getting in to leadership positions, that is possibly the worst thing about Trump.

We keep getting the Miller’s because the Republican establishment tried to buck Trump in the primary. Since Trump is such a thin skinned pussy he wouldn’t associate himself with anyone who was critical of him. Which shrank the pool of qualified candidates a lot. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

who eats baked beans at a movie theater?

People with time machines that use them to go forward 13 years to watch one of the worst goddamn Pixar movies in history, and then tell people magazine about it.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

We keep getting the Miller’s because the Republican establishment tried to buck Trump in the primary. Since Trump is such a thin skinned pussy he wouldn’t associate himself with anyone who was critical of him. Which shrank the pool of qualified candidates a lot. 

you're letting a lot of people off the hook. a lot of people agree with miller.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

you're letting a lot of people off the hook. a lot of people agree with miller.

Trump probably does too. I was trying to address the unlucky trend of getting whacko after whacko rather than this particular whacko specifically.

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

Here is my point, and why I pretty much hate politics and the media at this point in my life.

This author is just pushing a narrative.  Whether I agree with the larger points, is not my issue.  But I don't have any confidence at all that this story is an accurate depiction of that specific case, in fact I'd bet a lot of money it's not.

One of my guys, came here as a teenager with his family on a lawful green card.  He is Mexican, not Guatemalan like most of the installers I've worked with. (which is actually relevant at the end of this story).  Anyway, he got busted for being a mule and carrying drugs, when he was 18 and got 4 months in jail for it.  He was not deported after that.  But his residency status and probation were linked somehow, I can't remember the exact details.  Anyway, at some point he failed to live up to all his probation requirements (he wasn't arrested for another crime, it was failure to appear in court for something (can't remember if it was immigration court or just his probation stuff).  That resulted in his green card being revoked.  Several years later, he came home from work one night with his wife and kids (by this time he was in his mide twenties), and immigration was waiting at his door.  They gave him time to get money and a bag from his house, then an hour later he was on a bus.  They dropped him off in the middle of the night on a street corner in TJ.

He came back illegally.  At some point in the past decade his status became legal again.  He is a good installer, smart businessman, and good dad.  I like him a lot.

These kind of stories are super common.  It is seldom a clear cut thing and residency status can be in limbo for years.  My ears just went up when I saw "cleared of all wrongdoing" in the piece above, because I am sure it is more complicated than that.  Not being deported is not the same thing as having false entry impact your application for citizenship.

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Here is my point, and why I pretty much hate politics and the media at this point in my life.

This author is just pushing a narrative.  Whether I agree with the larger points, is not my issue.  But I don't have any confidence at all that this story is an accurate depiction of that specific case, in fact I'd bet a lot of money it's not.

One of my guys, came here as a teenager with his family on a lawful green card.  He is Mexican, not Guatemalan like most of the installers I've worked with. (which is actually relevant at the end of this story).  Anyway, he got busted for being a mule and carrying drugs, when he was 18 and got 4 months in jail for it.  He was not deported after that.  But his residency status and probation were linked somehow, I can't remember the exact details.  Anyway, at some point he failed to live up to all his probation requirements (he wasn't arrested for another crime, it was failure to appear in court for something (can't remember if it was immigration court or just his probation stuff).  That resulted in his green card being revoked.  Several years later, he came home from work one night with his wife and kids (by this time he was in his mide twenties), and immigration was waiting at his door.  They gave him time to get money and a bag from his house, then an hour later he was on a bus.  They dropped him off in the middle of the night on a street corner in TJ.

He came back illegally.  At some point in the past decade his status became legal again.  He is a good installer, smart businessman, and good dad.  I like him a lot.

These kind of stories are super common.  It is seldom a clear cut thing and residency status can be in limbo for years.  My ears just went up when I saw "cleared of all wrongdoing" in the piece above, because I am sure it is more complicated than that.  Not being deported is not the same thing as having false entry impact your application for citizenship.

I would like to see the folks hiding behind aliases on message boards help ICE with the deportations in their communities. I’m sure there would be cases in which a felon is sent packing. There will be other cases where people rigging the system will also be booted. But the vast majority will be people like you and I trying their best to make a life for their families. End of story. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

LOL. I had to read that several times. Do they still make those things? Odd candy. 

I'm not sure you can still buy them in theaters.  I'm guessing you can.  But I've picked up a box every now and again.  I like 'em.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I quit reading after ... 

Details of the rulemaking proposal are still being finalized, but based on a recent draft seen last week and described to NBC News,

Uh huh, in other words just the usual spin cycle.  The author hasn't even seen the alleged rough draft that he is writing about.