Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

Is the future of the MWC football-focused or basketball-focused?

Is the MWC's future more tied to football or basketball?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should the MWC give greater consideration to football or basketball?

4 hours ago, alum93 said:

Since you referenced the 1990 Rebels, here is a throwback from one of my all time favorite NMSU basketball teams.  We waited 6 hours to get in to the stadium because it was first come first serve for student section.  I still ended up in rafters.  Years later there was a trivia question at a bowling alley.  This was early 2000s.  What was the  only college team that had 5 starters selected in first round of NBA?  Answer - the Runnin Rebels.   The old Big West was a blast.  

I HATED when the rebs had to go to Las Cruces. Fullerton and Fresno as well, always tough games, especially in Grant's tomb. Although almost all of the UNLV games were on ESPN, at some point there were a couple that I had to listen to the radio, one was the aggies, it was brutal.

and yeah, all 5 going in the first round and winning a national championship is indicative of big fish, little pond, lol, let alone the OOC schedule we played. but, @slappy loves us :P, so there's that.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

I HATED when the rebs had to go to Las Cruces. Fullerton and Fresno as well, always tough games, especially in Grant's tomb. Although almost all of the UNLV games were on ESPN, at some point there were a couple that I had to listen to the radio, one was the aggies, it was brutal.

and yeah, all 5 going in the first round and winning a national championship is indicative of big fish, little pond, lol, let alone the OOC schedule we played. but, @slappy loves us :P, so there's that.

It seems obvious.  Come back, and pull yourself and the BW up once more.  You'll have two more ooc opportunities than you do here.

Make Rebel Basketball Great Again.

I want to vote both. In the near term basketball is the best way for exposure.

If the CFB playoffs expanded to 16. We would see more high quality recruits coming to the G5. Kids wanna start with a program that gives them a chance at winning something. 

Sitting on the bench at a high profile P5 does nothing for their ego or pro chances.

Given that CSU built a new stadium and SDSU & Hawaii probably getting new stadiums plus I have noticed some work has gone into some stadiums especially Utah State & Wyoming.  Based on that the MWC seems to have that football first focus.

22 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

North Carolina, A blue blood absolute elite basketball powerhouse, generates less revenue in basketball than little G5 Boise State does in football.  Boise Football revenue nearly doubles might Gonzaga basketball revenue.  No, football drives the bus.  It is not close.  If the MWC ever decides to focus on basketball it will be because of major defections.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/03/31/news/companies/gonzaga-ncaa-profits/index.html

http://footballscoop.com/news/figures-show-boise-state-as-the-king-of-the-mountain-west-revenue-race/

It's not surprising that UNC generates less revenue on basketball than Boise State does on football, but the number is pretty close. The big difference though is that UNC turns a 60% profit on basketball, whereas Boise turns a 30% profit on football. But licensing is where UNC makes a lot more money and that isn't due to their football prowess. 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

"Interesting" that the people who voted for basketball are all fans of schools in Nevada, or of teams not part of the conference.  

There was not "both" option, which would have been my choice, but I'm guessing the basketball votes are a result of the MWC being woefully under-represented in the tournament in recent years while the MWC always seems to have a team in the mix for best of the G5. Add to that, basketball is easier to build a winning team quickly and at least the NC is accessible to a non P5 school. But Football still drives the budgets and I think it's important to focus on both. 

21 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

The future of the MWC has to be fooball-focused.  It is just one of three D1 conferences in the west.  

The problem with that is that most of the current MWs national pedigree is on the basketball side. The Boise FB program has already seen its better days, as Harsin has been losing bad to mediocre teams like Virginia and Baylor. Those were teams that Peterson used to dust. 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:56 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nevada MBB is not the equivalent of TCU, Utah or Boise State football.  Get out of here with this nonsense.

Football drives the bus.  

You really can't compare Boise with TCU & Utah.

Ever since the conference reconfiguration it's been tough to figure out what MW football is all about. The old MW with Utah, TCU, and BYU, was a tough, hard-nosed, athletic conference. When TCU beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, they steamrolled them.

In contrast, the teams in the old WAC were mostly innovative. Boise State won games with trick plays. Hawaii had the R&S and Nevada spawned the Pistol Offense.

Over the last 5 years it seems like the new MW is a hodgepodge with the more physical teams, like SDSU, grinding down the more gimmicky teams. The old MW didn't play for a Championship game and I think the excess in teams and a Championship game has made MW Football a war of attrition with the most physical teams ultimately winning out but taking a lot of hits that the first conference didn't.  

22 minutes ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

You really can't compare Boise with TCU & Utah.

Ever since the conference reconfiguration it's been tough to figure out what MW football is all about. The old MW with Utah, TCU, and BYU, was a tough, hard-nosed, athletic conference. When TCU beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, they steamrolled them.

In contrast, the teams in the old WAC were mostly innovative. Boise State won games with trick plays. Hawaii had the R&S and Nevada spawned the Pistol Offense.

Over the last 5 years it seems like the new MW is a hodgepodge with the more physical teams, like SDSU, grinding down the more gimmicky teams. The old MW didn't play for a Championship game and I think the excess in teams and a Championship game has made MW Football a war of attrition with the most physical teams ultimately winning out.  

We did not win games with "trick plays" you nincompoop.  We won with NFL talent and elite coaching.    The 2009 team that beat #3TCU in the Fiesta bowl had 12 future NFL players taking the field, the core group of the 4 top 10 Moore years.

Nevada MBB is closer to BYU football while it was in the MWC than it is Boise State, TCU and Utah during the same time.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We did not win games with "trick plays" you nincompoop.  We won with NFL talent and elite coaching.    The 2009 team that beat #3TCU in the Fiesta bowl had 12 future NFL players taking the field, the core group of the 4 top 10 Moore years.

Nevada MBB is closer to BYU football while it was in the MWC than it is Boise State, TCU and Utah during the same time.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Boise State built its rep on trick plays. With Harsin the program lost a lot of that shine though. In contrast, MBB programs like UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, SDSU, etc, became more well known for being nationally competitive basketball programs and fanbases.

2 minutes ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

Whether you want to admit it or not, Boise State built its rep on trick plays. With Harsin the program lost a lot of that shine though.

Yes, we have a reputation for trick plays.  We did not "win games with trick plays"  We slobber knocked and out talented teams.  Whether you want to admit it or not there is no comparison between the worth of football and basketball when it comes to this conference.  This is a football conference, always will be, unless several current teams defect.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes, we have a reputation for trick plays.  We did not "win games with trick plays"  We slobber knocked and out talented teams.  Whether you want to admit it or not there is no comparison between the worth of football and basketball when it comes to this conference.  This is a football conference, always will be, unless several current teams defect.

Having teams defect would not be a bad idea. The Conference Championship game has been one of the greatest disasters for the FB side of the league. The original MW stayed away from a Championship game and that was by intelligent design.

Most definitely Boise State won its most significant game with trick plays but not all.

15 minutes ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

Most definitely Boise State won its most significant game with trick plays but not all.

Lol

bsu used the hook & ladder with 30 seconds left in the game vs. Oklahoma after going toe to toe with them and leading most of the game. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

8 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Lol

bsu used the hook & ladder with 30 seconds left in the game vs. Oklahoma after going toe to toe with them and leading most of the game. 

No reason to get hot. I like Boise State. I was just drawing a distinction between what Boise became known for and what a program like UNLV became known for. (on a national level)

IMO, UNLV athletics should get the same revenue that Boise gets.That one game against OU was not worth a special deal. But that's just my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

No reason to get hot. I like Boise State. I was just drawing a distinction between what Boise became known for and what a program like UNLV became known for. (on a national level)

IMO, UNLV athletics should get the same revenue that Boise gets.That one game against OU was not worth a special deal. But that's just my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

If you think that one game is why bsu earns more tv revenue than Unlv I don't know what to tell you. Maybe study up a little bit. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

7 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Lol

Also used a halfback pass and the Statue of Liberty.  Fake punt too?  

Boise State football funds their entire athletic department. We are lucky to break even in basketball. If the MWC went strictly to basketball Boise State would have to drop ten or more sports. I’m not sure about the other MWC schools but football definitely drives the bus at Boise State.