Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

The Redding Fire

Sadly, this is something we're poised to see more and more of.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/living-on-the-edge-wildfires-pose-a-growing-risk-to-homes-built-near-wilderness-areas/

The feds, states and municipalities really need to reconsider where and how much development near forest/wilderness areas is to be allowed in the future.  We need much better planning.

saw0618Adva31_d.png

We have a ton of fires going in Idaho, but they don't make the news. 

One idiot started a fire over the weekend when he decided to start shooting at exploding targets. In 100 degree heat and it hasn't rained in over a month. 

This idiot's actions have resulted in a fire that now is almost 30,000 acres and they are evacuating the Wood River valley.  Anyone who lives out west knows the danger of fires and just how fast they spread. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

It's crazy!  Me an my 2 brothers from Montana just took a bike trip through Redding on the 44 from Reno, then hooked up onto the 299 to Eureka about 3 weeks ago.  Road through Shasta and didn't stop to take pics because it was too damn hot and we wanted to get into the high country.  Now it's gone........insane!

10 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Sadly, this is something we're poised to see more and more of.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/living-on-the-edge-wildfires-pose-a-growing-risk-to-homes-built-near-wilderness-areas/

The feds, states and municipalities really need to reconsider where and how much development is to be allowed in the future.  We need much better planning.

Agreed. And it's hard to feel sorry for people that build their houses in tinderboxes and then scream when they inevitably catch on fire. You see it all over California and the West in general. It's a worrisome development.

that said, I got arrested in Redding once. Total pricks. Still don't want to see the whole town burn down, though. 

And also in some areas they don't do controlled burns so until someone removes dead trees and other things like that, it is also like just waiting for a match to go off.

However then you have stupid people. They arrested one in Southern California for intentionally setting 5 fires, which I believe one is still burning in Riverside county. They arrested someone for starting another fire near Susanville. The Perry Fire here was intentionally set they believe. Then in South Reno this weekend another fire was started from people target shooting.

But good news is they are finally making progress on the fire up there, can't soon enough for them and also for Reno since we have been dying under smoke from all theses fires.

Boise has a lot of smoke from all the fires.  My daughter just had her 2 days off after her 21 days on.  All she did was sleep.  Now she is heading up to Sun Valley to meet up with her helitack crew.  She says she could have slept another 5 days.  Being a wildland firefighter is not for sissies. 

down in a hole.jpg