Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

If you break the straw ban in this city you may get 6 months in jail

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

To me it makes little sense attacking plastic straws when they probably represent less than 1% of plastics disposed of. You want to make an impact, get rid of plastic drink and other plastic containers. 

We call this logical fallacy a False Dilemma or Either/Or Fallacy. A straw ban doesn't mean they are or are not "attacking" other forms of plastic waste. I'd like to see where you got that 1% number from, by the way. Even if it's accurate, 500 million straws thrown out by Americans daily is a staggering number.

(And I still don't think you understand the fundamental difference between a plastic straw and a Lego in the context of this discussion. But whatever, Boise gonna Boise.) 

13 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

We call this logical fallacy a False Dilemma or Either/Or Fallacy. A straw ban doesn't mean they are or are not "attacking" other forms of plastic waste. I'd like to see where you got that 1% number from, by the way. Even if it's accurate, 500 million straws thrown out by Americans daily is a staggering number.

(And I still don't think you understand the fundamental difference between a plastic straw and a Lego in the context of this discussion. But whatever, Boise gonna Boise.) 

Please keep doing this, the fond memories of PHIL 102 (logic) are overwhelming me 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

13 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

I'm pretty sure you missed the humor in the Lego comment.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

The United States is nowhere near the largest contributor of plastic into the world's oceans.

Not that it isn't a problem, but the tiny amount we introduce is nothing compared to China and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stemming-the-plastic-tide-10-rivers-contribute-most-of-the-plastic-in-the-oceans/

China has unofficially declared war on our planet's ecosystem in several ways. And there's no pressure on them to stop. But, by all means, imprison people for having a plastic straw.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:51 PM, Fort Fun said:

Not that facts matter when you are in a Boise bashing mood, but by weight, straws account for a tiny fraction of 1% of the plastic that makes it's way to the oceans each year, at 2000 of 9,000,000 tons.  By piece, roughly 4%.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-science-amount-straws-plastic-pollution.html

You would think a super smart CSU alum could google.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I was just thinking the other day, you know what this country needs?  More people incarcerated.

jaws-gif.gif?w=601&h=249

We’re gonna need a lot more prisons.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:37 PM, soupslam1 said:

The point I was  trying to make is plastic straws are a minuscule  amount of the plastics that are disposed of and find their way back into the environment. Check any dump and you will find tons of plastics including Legos. Look at all the plastic water and soda bottles you will find on any highway. Look at the large amount of plastics they are finding in the oceans. To me it makes little sense attacking plastic straws when they probably represent less than 1% of plastics disposed of. You want to make an impact, get rid of plastic drink and other plastic containers. 

A lot of restaurants here in Costa Rica got rid of plastic straws voluntarily.  I guess they are really bad for the critically endangered sea turtles that nest here.   Perhaps people who live by the coast see the issue is single use plastic washing up and take the problem more seriously.  I don't think it is am issue about the volume of plastic but impact on wildlife kind of like those plastic rings on six packs of beer. 

Posted Image

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not that facts matter when you are in a Boise bashing mood, but by weight, straws account for a tiny fraction of 1% of the plastic that makes it's way to the oceans each year, at 2000 of 9,000,000 tons.  By piece, roughly 4%.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-science-amount-straws-plastic-pollution.html

You would think a super smart CSU alum could google.

Sooo... not 1%. Good job generic Boise person.

How do so many straws and plastic materials find their way into the ocean? If I lived by the ocean would I walk over to the shoreline and   toss my empty cup and straw into the ocean? Just kidding. I can’t imagine that many ships dump their waste into the ocean, but could be wrong. The real problem is likely drainage systems that dump into rivers and drain to the sea.

Also, didn’t NYC used to haul their garbage and dump it ten or twenty miles off the coast? I doubt they do that anymore, but countries like China may still do it. 

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Any of you liberals heard of Boylan Slat and his project?  Donated some money?

How to help.  https://www.theoceancleanup.com/fund/

Again, China should be held responsible for what they're doing to the environment. Banning drinking straws won't do anything while the Yangtze River dumps 1.5 million tons of plastic into the ocean every year.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Sooo....far, far less than 1% per weight and 4% per part.  I swear, if I wanted to kill myself I would climb to your ego and jump to your IQ.

Less than 1% isn't 1%. 4% isn't 1%. The guy just pulled 1% out of thin air, sorry if I don't just play along. 

But if you read my post, I clearly stated that I don't care about the percentage. Try again!

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

Again, China should be held responsible for what they're doing to the environment. Banning drinking straws won't do anything while the Yangtze River dumps 1.5 million tons of plastic into the ocean every year.

Again, another false choice. It is possible for Santa Barbara to ban plastic straws and (possibly) see an improvement in their local environment, regardless of what Beijing does.

What if the entire local government operated the way you're suggesting? City Planner has a proposal to improve weekend traffic around State Street, but you know what, +++++ it. As long as there is massive gridlock in Shanghai, what's the point? Meeting adjourned!