Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

UNLV is Still The Flagship MW BBall Program

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, slappy said:

Tough to take you seriously with statements like that.  You never have understood basketball.  

I repeat.  UNLV is the unchallenged KING of MWC hoops.  No other current MWC basketball program has accomplished anything close.   They proudly display a National Championship trophy, have a huge NBA caliber arena, a large fanbase, and get great recruiting.  Nationally prestigious basketball schools travel to Las Vegas to play UNLV (notice how they don't go to Laramie?)  They are currently rebuilding, yes, but will be at the top of the MWC very soon.  Like this year.  The 3rd best school in the league.

Now compare:  NCAA Tourney appearances over the past 20 years:

WYOMING (2 times, that's it)

2002 #11 Round of 64
Round of 32
#6 Gonzaga
#3 Arizona
W 73–66
L 60–68
2015 #12 Round of 64 #5 Northern Iowa L 54–71

UNLV (8 times)

1998 #12 Round of 64 #5 Princeton L 57–69
2000 #10 Round of 64 #7 Tulsa L 62–89
2007 #7 Round of 64
Round of 32
Sweet Sixteen
#10 Georgia Tech
#2 Wisconsin
#3 Oregon
W 67–63
W 74–68
L 72–76
2008 #8 Round of 64
Round of 32
#9 Kent State
#1 Kansas
W 71–58
L 56–75
2010 #8 Round of 64 #9 Northern Iowa L 66–69
2011 #8 Round of 64 #9 Illinois L 62–73
2012 #6 Round of 64 #11 Colorado L 64–68
2013 #5 Round of 64 #12 California L 61–64

15 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Menzies year 4, the expectation should be to win the conference.

I liked most of your response, but I would say two things.

It doesn’t take much talent in the basketball world to win games in the MW.  Underclassmen or not.  Vegas fans always believe they have a loaded roster with talented players.  I don’t think they understand the game very well.   Talented kids don’t finish below .500 in the MW.  That is a fact.  

MM should not need 4 years to get above .500 in the MW.   There is a problem if he needs that.  

59 minutes ago, And? said:

You say this but I'm curious your definition of talent?

The MW is a 2 bid conference.  We are not very good in the big picture.  A talented group of players would sleep walk to .500 in MW play.  Not finish last then fall below .500.  

The lack of talent is obvious.  

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I repeat.  UNLV is the unchallenged KING of MWC hoops.  No other current MWC basketball program has accomplished anything close.   They proudly display a National Championship trophy, have a huge NBA caliber arena, a large fanbase, and get great recruiting.  Nationally prestigious basketball schools travel to Las Vegas to play UNLV (notice how they don't go to Laramie?)  They are currently rebuilding, yes, but will be at the top of the MWC very soon.  Like this year.  The 3rd best school in the league.

Now compare:  NCAA Tourney appearances over the past 20 years:

WYOMING (2 times, that's it)

2002 #11 Round of 64
Round of 32
#6 Gonzaga
#3 Arizona
W 73–66
L 60–68
2015 #12 Round of 64 #5 Northern Iowa L 54–71

UNLV (8 times)

1998 #12 Round of 64 #5 Princeton L 57–69
2000 #10 Round of 64 #7 Tulsa L 62–89
2007 #7 Round of 64
Round of 32
Sweet Sixteen
#10 Georgia Tech
#2 Wisconsin
#3 Oregon
W 67–63
W 74–68
L 72–76
2008 #8 Round of 64
Round of 32
#9 Kent State
#1 Kansas
W 71–58
L 56–75
2010 #8 Round of 64 #9 Northern Iowa L 66–69
2011 #8 Round of 64 #9 Illinois L 62–73
2012 #6 Round of 64 #11 Colorado L 64–68
2013 #5 Round of 64 #12 California L 61–64

So "UNLV is still the unchallenged King of MWC Hoops" is supported by a NCAA appearance in 2013?  Got anything in 2014?  2015?  2016? 2017?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, pokebball said:

So "UNLV is still the unchallenged King of MWC Hoops" is supported by a NCAA appearance in 2013?  Got anything in 2014?  2015?  2016? 2017?

Look, BYU basketball and UNLV basketball have been big adversaries over the years.  But even I can admit that they are the Kings of the MWC.   They have the best facilities, the most tradition, the strongest recruiting, and the largest fanbase.  They will be back near the top soon---likely this year.   I do think that SDSU is gaining on them, though. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Look, BYU basketball and UNLV basketball have been big adversaries over the years.  But even I can admit that they are the Kings of the MWC.   They have the best facilities, the most tradition, the strongest recruiting, and the largest fanbase.  They will be back near the top soon---likely this year.   I do think that SDSU is gaining on them, though. 

If it makes you feel any better, I don't consider BYU basketball the king either!

Guest #1Stunner

If it makes you feel any better, I don't consider BYU basketball the king either!

Which MWC basketball program do you think is the overall best?  Strongest program, with the most tradition?   Who you got number 1?

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Which MWC basketball program do you think is the overall best?  Strongest program, with the most tradition?   Who you got number 1?

That's a different question than what you addressed up top.  The unchallenged king of the MWC is not the same as the program with the most tradition.

The last tournament championship UNLV won was in 2008.

The last season championship was in 2000 and they shared that with Utah.

I'm not sure how you can claim that they are the "unchallenged king of the MWC when they haven't been the season champ for coming on 18yrs now.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, pokebball said:

That's a different question than what you addressed up top.  The unchallenged king of the MWC is not the same as the program with the most tradition.

The last tournament championship UNLV won was in 2008.

The last season championship was in 2000 and they shared that with Utah.

I'm not sure how you can claim that they are the "unchallenged king of the MWC when they haven't been the season champ for coming on 18yrs now.

I don't think it is a different question.  

So, who do you rank no. 1?

Just now, #1Stunner said:

I don't think it is a different question.  

So, who do you rank no. 1?

Well I just told you that I think it's a different question so you need to clarify which question for me :) 

Guest #1Stunner

Well I just told you that I think it's a different question so you need to clarify which question for me :) 

OK, so what's your answer to my question?  You afraid to say UNLV for some reason?  

17 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

What even remotely makes you think that?

Vegas likes winning....

There are MWC tourney games where your opponent has more butts in the seats than you do.

When you play BYU in OOC play next season,  they will likely draw more fans to the game than UNLV.

You also mentioned that Vegas likes winning.  Who doesn't like winning?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

12 hours ago, Jaredcg said:

I mean they had a McDonald’s all-American last year and two OT losses in non-conference and yet hardly anyone showed up for the first conference game. So yeah I don’t think they are waiting on a winner

12k, coming from a downed year, sourpuss fanbase on New Years Eve weekend....yeah.

Reno had 9,500 for their home opener against UNM.

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

There are MWC tourney games where your opponent has more butts in the seats than you do.

When you play BYU in OOC play next season,  they will likely draw more fans to the game than UNLV.

You also mentioned that Vegas likes winning.  Who doesn't like winning?

MWC tourney games...lol. Where tickets are allotted to everyone? You other guys swear we get them in our season tix package and just dont show up.

Also the team lost 5 straight to end the season. Not a good note...did I mention the winning thing?

It is possible, but UNLV fans will probably make some effort for that game. Vegas has a huge mormon community. A ton of BYU grads and probably a million mormon cousins that can't wait to visit here.

Plus BYU/UNLV was the best MWC basketball rivalry (14-14 record) and haven't played since they left in 2011.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

21 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

12k, coming from a downed year, sourpuss fanbase on New Years Eve weekend....yeah.

Reno had 9,500 for their home opener against UNM.

MWC tourney games...lol. Where tickets are allotted to everyone? You other guys swear we get them in our season tix package and just dont show up.

Also the team lost 5 straight to end the season. Not a good note...did I mention the winning thing?

It is possible, but UNLV fans will probably make some effort for that game. Vegas has a huge mormon community. A ton of BYU grads and probably a million mormon cousins that can't wait to visit here.

Plus BYU/UNLV was the best MWC basketball rivalry (14-14 record) and haven't played since they left in 2011.

BYU/UNLV games were the best.  Had some really good ones both here and in Provo.  We were natural foils for one another. 

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

He's trolling, just not very well.

I'd say he's doing a great job.  How many posts you got in this thread now?

Not only is Stunner the best troll, he's 100% right.

20 hours ago, pokebball said:

Nevada

Reno is having a very good run but are overachieving. They're getting away with murder right now but their brand and their commitment to basketball is still pretty soft.