Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

UNLV is Still The Flagship MW BBall Program

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Game won't be at the Thomas and Mack.   It will be at T-Mobile.  And it WILL be a home game for BYU.  The UNLV crowd will be outnumbered 2 to 1.

#BeatUNLV

UNLV’s attendance numbers have really gone downhill these last few years.  Your calculations may be spot on.  This is just a middle of the road MWC team since BYU has left the conference. 

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, cherrycrush said:

UNLV’s attendance numbers have really gone downhill these last few years.  Your calculations may be spot on.  This is just a middle of the road MWC team since BYU has left the conference. 

Really?  That's terrible.  BYU leaves the MWC and as a result UNLV's athletics collapse?  You say they have poor attendance now???

UNLV, let's fix this!   I'm calling for annual basketball and football games between UNLV and BYU.  Get @RebelRobert on the phone, immediately.

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

Of course beating the crap out of Utah doesn't make us the flagship. But public perception and reputation does.  UNLV basketball, despite it's shortcomings in recent years, still has the best facilities, most storied past and brightest future. Boise could have some bad years and still would be the flagship football program.  That's just how it works. 

How what works? Self delusion?

Never really could stand the state of Nevada. It's a place you endure as you traverse in order to get to places that are human habitable to its east and west. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 hours ago, toonkee said:

Of course beating the crap out of Utah doesn't make us the flagship. But public perception and reputation does.  UNLV basketball, despite it's shortcomings in recent years, still has the best facilities, most storied past and brightest future. Boise could have some bad years and still would be the flagship football program.  That's just how it works. 

FWIW, I think SDSU has been the flagship for a long time.  I was in high school last time UNLV did anything relevant.  I am in my 40s.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

FWIW, I think SDSU has been the flagship for a long time.  I was in high school last time UNLV did anything relevant.  I am in my 40s.

You need to go back to HS and take some math. Tournament appearances, sweet 16, national rankings, conference tourney champs, wins...all since you've been out of home school.

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You need to go back to HS and take some math. Tournament appearances, sweet 16, national rankings, conference tourney champs, wins...all since you've been out of home school.

I looked it up.  You are right!  You guys had a sweet 16 run not long ago.

We need to get BYU and UNLV playing every year.

55 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

How what works? Self delusion?

Never really could stand the state of Nevada. It's a place you endure as you traverse in order to get to places that are human habitable to its east and west. 

Q: What fb team is the flagship of the Big12.

A: Texas, and they haven't had their best years in recent times, either.

That's just how it works.  UNLV is still the top BBall brand in the conference, despite SDSU having the most success in recent times.

21 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Minus one run under Kruger, Vegas hasn't been good since Tark was there and doing about 100 violations a year.

Vegas has never won the MW regular season. They shared the title one time, but that's it.

Now they are more of a punch line than they are a quality mid major.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

That's just how it works.  UNLV is still the top BBall brand in the conference, despite SDSU having the most success in recent times.

You're fooling yourself. No one gives a phuck about who won what in 1991.

Barack Obama

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

There's a big difference between some bad years and falling off the map. If Boise only wins one MW championship in the next 20 years, they certainly wouldn't be the flagship of the conference. That is also the case for UNLV. 

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Honestly, how can anyone on here argue differently?  UNLV is the King of MWC Hoops.  Still.  The Rebels won a National Championship, have a ton of tournament success, and are the second most popular basketball team in the west (behind only BYU).

SDSU is having great success lately.  But they aren't to UNLV's prestige level yet.

UNLV is a national program.  Nothing but respect.

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You're fooling yourself. No one gives a phuck about who won what in 1991.

....except the recruits.  Have you never paid attention to their recruiting?

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

You sound like a BYU fan trying to let us non believers know how relevant we are.  The last time you guys were relevant was 25 years ago.  Only the old timers think you guys are a big deal. 

You guys haven't ever even won an outright conference title here since the inception of the league.  You'd think a flagship could manage that.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Oklahoma

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

LOL. You're not Texas but hey, whatever gets you through the day.

It's like nobody actually lives in Nevada.It's as if the entire population is a group of folks whose car has broken down and they're all waiting for a tow.

Here's a cell phone from 1991

blaupunkt-vintage-phone-1991.jpeg?150577

Here's some music to get nostalgic with

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

LOL. You're not Texas but hey, whatever gets you through the day.

It's like nobody actually lives in Nevada.It's as if the entire population is a group of folks whose car has broken down and they're all waiting for a tow.

Here's a cell phone from 1991

What are you talking about?  I'm a 4th generation Nevadan. 4UNLV is 5th generation if I remember correctly. 

What a weird thing to say.  Are we lesser than you because you're from California?  Okay, I guess... 

38 minutes ago, toonkee said:

What are you talking about?  I'm a 4th generation Nevadan. 4UNLV is 5th generation if I remember correctly. 

What a weird thing to say.  Are we lesser than you because you're from California?  Okay, I guess... 

I am, which makes my granddaughter 7th gen..just passing through, I guess...

sounds like maybe this particular sdsu fan might have lost his shirt at the tables. i need to thank him for paying my taxes.

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

....except the recruits.  Have you never paid attention to their recruiting?

Have you been paying attention?

They've got no one. That team won't finish in the top half.  For Vegas, it's a race to the bottom with San Ho & AFA.

BYU beating Vegas in Vegas wouldn't be anything resembling an upset and BYU will have more fans at the game.

Your trolling sucks lately. 

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner
7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Have you been paying attention?

They've got no one. That team won't finish in the top half.  For Vegas, it's a race to the bottom with San Ho & AFA.

BYU beating Vegas in Vegas wouldn't be anything resembling an upset and BYU will have more fans at the game.

Your trolling sucks lately. 

Please.... They are going to be a very good team.  Don't be so obviously jealous.  Why you so upset about UNLV all the time?

I have UNLV as the 3rd best team in the MWC next season.