Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

End of the Trade War with Europe?

Sounds like progress is being made. Trump and the EU president just delivered a joint statement.  Obviously they’re just words but it’s a step in the right direction 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How bout North Korea and the awesomeness that will lead to Trumps' Nobel that is currently occurring?

Depends on the timing of the Iran bombing campaign.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Guest #1Stunner

This has been a big game of chicken.  Trump, just this morning, threatened a 25% tariff on European made cars. (75% of BMWs sold in the States are made in Europe....BMW is pooping its pants).

I think ultimately Trump wants free trade, and is using tariffs as leverage.   We'll see how the EU responds.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This has been a big game of chicken.  Trump, just this morning, threatened a 25% tariff on European made cars. (75% of BMWs sold in the States are made in Europe....BMW is pooping its pants).

I think ultimately Trump was free trade, and is using tariffs as leverage.   We'll see how the EU responds.

I heard a bit on the BBC. It said the Germans are willing to lower tariffs, but are opposed by the Italians and the French.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How bout North Korea and the awesomeness that will lead to Trumps' Nobel that is currently occurring?

I have no doubt North Korea negotiations will turn out every bit as successful as his previous marriages.  Well, maybe there is a 1% shot they denuclearize.  In the meantime, Kim will slowly pretend to play nice and milk us for whatever he can,  while keeping his nukes of course.  Just a hunch :-)

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think ultimately Trump was free trade, and is using tariffs as leverage.   We'll see how the EU responds.

I frequently want cooler temperatures in the house so I start baking pies, too

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I heard a bit on the BBC. It said the Germans are willing to lower tariffs, but are opposed by the Italians and the French.

There is a lot of politics playing out in Europe.

Politicians are under pressure to keep manufacturing jobs in Europe (Germany, France, Italy), where wages are higher.   The Europeans have resorted to tariffs on foreign made goods, in order to protect jobs.

So that's why for Cars (not trucks), the EU imposes a 10% tariff on US made cars, and the US imposes a 2% tariff on EU made cars.    It's probably similar in other sectors.

BMW is pooping its pants.  They sell a lot of cars in the US.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, happycamper said:

I frequently want cooler temperatures in the house so I start baking pies, too

You can't properly eat pie without ice cream (trust me, I know ice cream).

So your logic makes sense.   Bake some pies, and you'll inevitably cool down, when you eat the pie a la mode.

US has been having individual talks with Italy and France over trade for a little while. Probably easier going through them than directly to the EU

However there is problems in Europe with the EU and I think the vote of Britain to leave the EU really threw things for a loop because no one saw it coming and EU is dealing that and now trying to keep other countries happy as well because they don't want a domino effect to happen with them. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

So your logic makes sense.   Bake some pies, and you'll inevitably cool down, when you eat the pie a la mode.

I may have to disagree, it depends on the ice cream and the pie.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I know pie. Pie with ice cream is fine. Pie with coffee is better

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, happycamper said:

I assume you are talking Ice Coffee, since you baked the pies in order to cool down?

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I assume you are talking Ice Coffee, since you baked the pies in order to cool down?

I’ll be sure to get you decaf iced coffee. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

22 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Why not Pie with ice cream AND coffee?

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

5 minutes ago, Mano said:

Why not Pie with ice cream AND coffee?

Calm you tits I don't want to look like Majerus by the time I'm 40