Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

North Korea dismantling key test facility

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/worldviews/wp/2018/07/23/north-korea-begins-dismantling-key-test-site-satellite-imagery-suggests/

The Sohae location has been the main site for North Korean satellite launches since 2012. The testing facilities at the site are thought to play a role in the development of liquid-fuel engines that can also be used in North Korea's ballistic missile program.

If the analysis of the satellite imagery is accurate, North Korea may be taking a small but significant step toward the disarmament that was agreed upon by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Trump during a landmark meeting in Singapore on June 12.

This is a good sign but there’s also this 

However, the dismantlement of the facilities at Sohae appears to have taken place without outside experts there to verify it. The North Korean government has made a number of such unilateral moves since the start of the year, including the apparent destruction of the Punggye-ri nuclear test site in May. Analysts have cautioned that these steps need verification.

So it may be a step in the right direction but we need to verify it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

39 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Written by the Washington Post. Is this real or fake news? 

It has been reported by BBC, public radio and several other sources.  You don't even understand your own links so I imagine this is way above your head.

The public radio interview was of the last guy who inspected North Korea in the late 90's and he sounded like he thought this was very positive news.

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

It has been reported by BBC, public radio and several other sources.  You don't even understand your own links so I imagine this is way above your head.

The public radio interview was of the last guy who inspected North Korea in the late 90's and he sounded like he thought this was very positive news.

My point was in reference to the “expensive lobbyist” pathological liar. Either the Post is credible or it’s not. Self proclaimed political know-it-alls like yourself seem to waffle to make a point. (Or in your case just make chit up.)

Surprising that a well respected American newspaper isn’t part of the grand “fake news” conspiracy. Shocking. 

20 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

My point was in reference to the “expensive lobbyist” pathological liar. Either the Post is credible or it’s not. Self proclaimed political know-it-alls like yourself seem to waffle to make a point. (Or in your case just make chit up.)

Surprising that a well respected American newspaper isn’t part of the grand “fake news” conspiracy. Shocking. 

You don't even make any sense.  

Why why why are they doing this?  I still can't get a satisfying answer on why NK would spend so much time, money, stress and energy developing nukes and missiles to give it all up just like that.  Why do they not need them anymore?  It just doesn't add up on face value.  Please somebody educate me on how this makes sense.  

Just now, toonkee said:

Why why why are they doing this?  I still can't get a satisfying answer on why NK would spend so much time, money, stress and energy developing nukes and missiles to give it all up just like that.  Why do they not need them anymore?  It just doesn't add up on face value.  Please somebody educate me on how this makes sense.  

After what Obama did to Gaddafi for signing and complying with a treaty to give up his nukes, it baffles me why anyone would trust the U.S.

It has to be China putting a ton of pressure on North Korea.

Or more likely,

Kim is going to get what he can and renege in the deal just like his dad did in the 90's.

15 hours ago, toonkee said:

15 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

After what Obama did to Gaddafi for signing and complying with a treaty to give up his nukes, it baffles me why anyone would trust the U.S.

It has to be China putting a ton of pressure on North Korea.

Or more likely,

Kim is going to get what he can and renege in the deal just like his dad did in the 90's.

There!  You have your Toolish answer - the one so many Rechtie's love to utter:

Wm5u.gif

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

So... about that.

North Korea is moving ahead with its ballistic missile program at 16 hidden bases that have been identified in new commercial satellite images, a network long known to American intelligence agencies but left undiscussed as President Trump claims to have neutralized the North’s nuclear threat.

The satellite images suggest that the North has been engaged in a great deception: It has offered to dismantle a major launching site — a step it began, then halted — while continuing to make improvements at more than a dozen others that would bolster launches of conventional and nuclear warheads.

The existence of the ballistic missile bases, which North Korea has never acknowledged, contradicts Mr. Trump’s assertion that his landmark diplomacy is leading to the elimination of a nuclear and missile program that the North had warned could devastate the United States.

“We are in no rush,” Mr. Trump said of talks with the North at a news conference on Wednesday, after Republicans lost control of the House. “The sanctions are on. The missiles have stopped. The rockets have stopped. The hostages are home.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/us/politics/north-korea-missile-bases.html

https://beyondparallel.csis.org/undeclared-north-korea-sakkanmol-missile-operating-base/

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Ah, nice to see Democrats gloating over N.Korea nukes again.  I guess the US should reestablish sanctions!  Oh wait, we  didn't take the sanctions away.  

I think the N.Korean denuclearization is moving along as expected.  S.Korea has had several meetings with Kim, as has other countries too.  Kim has better status now than he did before and he can see what some of the benefits of giving up nukes will be.  As well as realizing that S.Korea is not about to attack them in the future.  You have to remember that  a guy like Kim is even more paranoid than democrats! 

14 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Ah, nice to see Democrats gloating over N.Korea nukes again.  I guess the US should reestablish sanctions!  Oh wait, we  didn't take the sanctions away.  

I think the N.Korean denuclearization is moving along as expected.  S.Korea has had several meetings with Kim, as has other countries too.  Kim has better status now than he did before and he can see what some of the benefits of giving up nukes will be.  As well as realizing that S.Korea is not about to attack them in the future.  You have to remember that  a guy like Kim is even more paranoid than democrats! 

I don't think Democrats are the ones bragging about "winning" all the time. Maybe they are and I missed it.

I would love to see RKN give up nukes. Given Kim's paranoia, I doubt we will ever see it unless there is a major regime change or unification (at which point, we probably don't care if they have nukes), neither of which I see on the horizon. I certainly don't think Trump or Dennis Rodman will be the ones to get through to Kim. Honestly, I don't think any American could.

8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I don't think Democrats are the ones bragging about "winning" all the time. Maybe they are and I missed it.

I would love to see RKN give up nukes. Given Kim's paranoia, I doubt we will ever see it unless there is a major regime change or unification (at which point, we probably don't care if they have nukes), neither of which I see on the horizon. I certainly don't think Trump or Dennis Rodman will be the ones to get through to Kim. Honestly, I don't think any American could.

Yeah, NK conducted at least 21 missile tests in 2016-2017 (before and after Trump took office).   They have not conducted any in the past year.  They also did destroy their nuclear test site and some other facilities.  So I guess thats a major fail then!  Who knows, maybe Kim is just waiting for a Democrat to get back in office so he can proceed with his long range missile program.  

Nobody thought Kim would simply give up his nukes for a promise.  This literally will take years to complete.  Clinton, Bush and Obama all fumbled the ball badly on N.Korea.  Trump assumed a much more aggressive posture towards N.K. in 2017  and then changed to a much more peaceful posture.   And the Trump critics demonized him for both.