Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

Emergency Aid to Farmers Affected by Tariffs

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Doesn't change the fact they're welfare whores. 

Even worse. I'd rather my money go to some drug addict on welfare than someone who flies private jets in and out of Fresno 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Even worse. I'd rather my money go to some drug addict on welfare than someone who flies private jets in and out of Fresno 

This is true. I was once kicked out of a Jeff Denham fundraiser at some asshole's Latifundia outside of Modesto for asking why he was anti-welfare when it was clear that he supported it in the form of farm subsidies. I asked if the amount made a difference, because it was clear people such as this "poor farmer"'s house we were at were getting a lot more than some crackhead named Tyrone in Richmond. 

A strange aside, the girl I was dating at the time was a junior Republican and dragged me to that. She was one of the rich jet setting poor farmers you talk about. Lived on a huge almond farm. We broke up soon thereafter after my brother got drunk and threw up all over her at the Le Meridien in San Francisco. 

10 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm always glad when I can put more money into the pockets of these guys. 

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Trump is in the shit now.  This is the kind of pain you have to expect in a trade war.  Hopefully someone will fold before it gets out of hand.  Well more out of hand.

5 hours ago, jackmormon said:

That 40% includes teenagers, students, plus the disabled and elderly folks living on Social Security.

It is actually over 51% now because Trump's tax cut had the effect of increasing the people who pay no tax by 6%,

This was a tax cut for the lowest of tax payers.  even the Corporate tax cut will help them out by keeping jobs in this country.

Not that a communist like you understands that.

55 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

This is true. I was once kicked out of a Jeff Denham fundraiser at some asshole's Latifundia outside of Modesto for asking why he was anti-welfare when it was clear that he supported it in the form of farm subsidies. I asked if the amount made a difference, because it was clear people such as this "poor farmer"'s house we were at were getting a lot more than some crackhead named Tyrone in Richmond. 

A strange aside, the girl I was dating at the time was a junior Republican and dragged me to that. She was one of the rich jet setting poor farmers you talk about. Lived on a huge almond farm. We broke up soon thereafter after my brother got drunk and threw up all over her at the Le Meridien in San Francisco. 

I get a kick out of telling my old man that social security is welfare. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

It is actually over 51% now because Trump's tax cut had the effect of increasing the people who pay no tax by 6%,

This was a tax cut for the lowest of tax payers.  even the Corporate tax cut will help them out by keeping jobs in this country.

Not that a communist like you understands that.

Cool. So your club is getting a little bigger. You should start a facebook group.

19 hours ago, mugtang said:

Can we stop with the misnomer that the tax cuts were only for the wealthy.  Of course the tax cuts disproportionately benefited the wealthy, they pay the bulk of the taxes. Any tax cut is going to significantly impact them more than it is the people in the middle.  Plus, over 40% of the population pays zero federal income tax with just over 20% having no tax liabilities at all once you account for tax credits and such.  

No, they don't have to.

We could have easily lowered the tax rates on the first couple of brackets and left the top couple where they were, and everyone in those brackets and higher would save the same amount of money, but it would impact the poor and middle much more than the top. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

5 minutes ago, Mano said:

No, they don't have to.

We could have easily lowered the tax rates on the first couple of brackets and left the top couple where they were, and everyone in those brackets and higher would save the same amount of money, but it would impact the poor and middle much more than the top. 

Yes but their stated goal was to simplify the tax code, that would’ve made it much more complex.  Which would’ve been fine with me, job security and all.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Yes but their stated goal was to simplify the tax code, that would’ve made it much more complex.  Which would’ve been fine with me, job security and all.  

How would reducing rates on some brackets and not others make it more complex?

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

16 minutes ago, Mano said:

How would reducing rates on some brackets and not others make it more complex?

Because they didn’t just reduce the rates. They adjusted credits and deductions as well.  If you do that but you want to leave the higher brackets alone that means you essentially have two sets of rules. One for incomes up to X and one for incomes over X. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

Because they didn’t just reduce the rates. They adjusted credits and deductions as well.  If you do that but you want to leave the higher brackets alone that means you essentially have two sets of rules. One for incomes up to X and one for incomes over X. 

We already have different rules as well as rates for incomes up to X and for incomes above X ( such as income subjected to FICA ).

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

8 minutes ago, Mano said:

We already have different rules as well as rates for incomes up to X and for incomes above X ( such as income subjected to FICA ).

FICA isn’t part of federal income tax.  But there’s just a limit on the wages that are taxed.  I understand the point you’re trying to make but doing what you suggested would’ve made a much more complex tax system than we already have. 

Just now, mugtang said:

FICA isn’t part of federal income tax.  But there’s just a limit on the wages that are taxed.  I understand the point you’re trying to make but doing what you suggested would’ve made a much more complex tax system than we already have. 

Again, I don't understand why you assert changing rates for the existing brackets makes it any more or less complicated. 

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

7 minutes ago, Mano said:

Again, I don't understand why you assert changing rates for the existing brackets makes it any more or less complicated. 

For example, let’s take the limit on state tax deductions that now exists.  Had we changed it for the lower brackets only it would’ve gone something like this:  “if your income is below X then you can only deduct up to 10k in your state taxes that have been paid.  But if your income is over X then you can deduct 100% of them subject to income phase outs for itemized deductions.” Or here’s one that hits close to home.  “If your income is below X then you can not deduct any amounts paid as seat premiums for athletic tickets to a non profit entity.  If your income is over X then you can deduct up to 80% of those amounts.”  

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

For example, let’s take the limit on state tax deductions that now exists.  Had we changed it for the lower brackets only it would’ve gone something like this:  “if your income is below X then you can only deduct up to 10k in your state taxes that have been paid.  But if your income is over X then you can deduct 100% of them subject to income phase outs for itemized deductions.” Or here’s one that hits close to home.  “If your income is below X then you can not deduct any amounts paid as seat premiums for athletic tickets to a non profit entity.  If your income is over X then you can deduct up to 80% of those amounts.”  

I am specifically talking about the income tax brackets. They could easily have reduced the rates on bottom 4 brackets, while leaving the top 3 unchanged, and made some adjustments to where the levels are. They did not need to reduce the top rate.

You claimed

"Any tax cut is going to significantly impact them more than it is the people in the middle. " 

which is not the case.

5a5e44bcf42149a3018b5183-960-662.png

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan